The OD green versys - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Cosmetic

Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 AM

over the next week or two anticipating working on:

1) painting the top triple matte black, adding the clipon handlebars and having to possibly re-route the cabling. Hoping to be able to somehow shorten them rather than buying new ones. Try to find a way to use my existing bar ends (throttlemeisters, which I love oh-so-much).

2) fabricating some manner of headlight clamps, I've read some pretty good instructions on how to use t-bolt clamps with home made brackets. Most people suggest to stay away from your run of the mill radiator hose clamps. Will have to start planning on new radiator fluid resovoir, as after the stock headlight comes off, that white sack of fluid is going to be very dangly.

3) putting the swingarm and rear wheel back together with the new master link if i decide to leave the sprocket on for the time being. Will need to address that broken chain splash guard.

Last edited by Norrick; 07-10-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 06:25 AM

I've been working on the bike slowly but surely and taking pictures along the way but haven't found time to go through them and actually post them so here is an update:

finally got the powdercoated swingarm with the bearings installed back:

masking off the top triple for paint: (to remove ignition I had to drill out the safety bolts, a huge pain)

painted top triple:

swingarm installed:

splash guard repaired using steelstik epoxy:

master link installed on original factory chain:

used a large c-clamp with nut to press the master link on (even though was non-rivet type, was extremely tight fit):

checking clearance:

ground down original headlight mounting hardware and masked for painting:

painted:

Last edited by Norrick; 08-10-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:31 AM

2011 Kawasaki Versys

Lookin' Good!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 AM

attached woodcraft clip-on handlebars (could only torque the front two bolts after adjusting the spacing on the two rear):

removed factory clutch cable (black metal bracket on right is needed for next step):

cable replaced with a 2005 zx-6r clutch cable and retrofitted to original bracket:

new clutch cable had some length issues, remedied by turning the bracket upside down to move the entire cable further to the right from the clutch linkage. Spacers added to raise the cable to the appropriate height (bracket had to be slightly bent as well):

1 inch wide 1/8th inch thick aluminum picked up from orchard on the cheap:

centerline scored with punch mark for centering drill bit and a compass used to create a guide for a clean radius:

literally eyeballed it for the length of the linkage, only taking special care to duplicate the length for left/right links for a symetrical setup:

t-bolt clamp used with rubber cut from a gasket kit from the plumbing section of the hardware store to hold the linkage in place:

lower mounts for headlight finished, not enough to hold it steady, but enough to make it street legal for daytime use:

more aluminum used for mounting a new radiator coolant resovoir. Holes drilled and a small hand file used to square off holes:

holes squared off:

aluminum painted black, zip ties used to hold in place on frame with tape for protection of the paint. standard steel worm gear clamp used to hold water bottle of choice:

upper headlight linkages finished, the headlight is now aimed properly and rock solid:

the bike as it stands now. nalgene water bottle used (will replace with a black transparent with black cap version), not sure if i want to paint the headlight mounts black or leave them silver.

with the clipons the bike rides great. riding position is very similar to a normal super sport (i used to ride one).

next upgrades will be bar end mirrors (probably rizoma), water bottle color change, a simple bracket for mounting the speedometer/tach (which is currently taped to the top triple), and eventuallly the gas tank cosmetic modification to hide the brackets and make it look smooth.

Last edited by Norrick; 08-10-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:06 AM

Lookin' good!

Will you be keeping your Corbin seat? I'm interested in it if you decide to part ways with it.
Skidmarx hugger
A little bit of road rash
Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

I think you need to rename this thread. It is no longer an OD Green Versys. It is an OD Green (something) that was once a Versys in its prior form.

I liked the look until you started tearing it apart and changing the whole look of the bike. To each his own. As long as you like it, that what matters.

Versys Owners/Riders Map Here.

Add your name and see who's near you!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I think you need to rename this thread. It is no longer an OD Green Versys. It is an OD Green (something) that was once a Versys in its prior form.

I liked the look until you started tearing it apart and changing the whole look of the bike. To each his own. As long as you like it, that what matters.

+1

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM

I think Tailgun proved you can make the Versys into a great looking streetfighter. This project is well underway. Though I prefer the Versys' stock look too, and that OD paint on stock looks bad ass.

I really like the black out job on the swingarm and rear sets, really adds to the streetfighter look. Paint the headlight brackets for sure.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 PM

I too prefer the stock OD Green Versys. I appreciate your efforts and what appears to be quality work. It is always nice to have active modders in a forum.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Norrick: I'm loving this project. The versys realy does make a great naked bike. I'm glad the riser clip-on idea has caught on with others. I wasnt sure it would work out well when I tried it first, but I love the forward position and forward ballanced weight. If you are ever lookign for replacement control lines with the new bar position, I've found the er6n cables and brake lines are just about a perfect fit.

Looking good, keep us updated.
"No man shal be debarred the use of arms" "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Tailgun's Streetfighter Versys
Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Are you going to put the decals back on the bike so it looks factory? Well, I guess it will never look factory, but look like it was actually produced by Kawasaki?

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 08-16-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM

OD Green is absolutley my favorite color ever. I would pay you so much money to paint my Versys like that! I wish I had the time to do it myself.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrick View Post

You can see that I painted the headers black, and it began flaking off terribly. I am convinced there is no over the counter product that you can use for this purpose no matter how careful in application you are (as I was very careful with my surface prep).
Really nice work, try Eastwood Hi-Temp, they make a semi-gloss/satin header paint that I have had very good luck with.

http://www.eastwood.com/satin-black-...p-coating.html

It is expensive but you get what you pay for. Paint all my 2-stroke expansion chambers with it. Takes a couple of days to dry and develops hardness after several heat cycles. Key as you probably already know due to the nice paint work so far, is prep. Since the headers are already scuffed up with a brush finish, this paint should work very well......

Last edited by jim-k; 08-17-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

Nice work. Keep posted.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 PM

Very interesting project. But you really need to work on the metal tabs on the tank. Otherwise it will scratch the hell out of your leathers on your arm whenever u need to anchor your hand takinga sharp turn in the track.

Plus, instead of the rounded old school headlamp, i think it would look sicker with a KTM superduke headlamp.
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 09-04-2012, 04:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to zielony Send a message via Skype™ to zielony

put other lamp...it's not matchin concept;p
Old 09-25-2012, 02:27 AM

quick update, have not had much time to work on, still very busy day to day

Rizoma style bar ends installed (very good looking imo, and actually useful)

removing the remnants of the fairing brackets from the frame. I found the easiest way to do this was to cut vertically through the brackets so that you could take a pair of vice grips and bend them up and down as close to their attachment welds as possible, until they snapped off (like a paper clip being bent too much). Then follow up with a dremel and do the detail work

one of the sides masked with first coat of paint:

final product:

the paint is not a perfect match (the factory frame paint is slightly metallic, this is matte), but at a glance it is not noticeable.

Also the headlight brackets were painted black (but the stianless steel t-bolt clamps were left alone), and the radiator resovoir bottle was changed to a transparent black/grey. I also put on a pair of Bridgestone Battlax S20's and they are much more confidence inspiring than the stock tires. Very sticky once warmed up, really enjoying these last few weeks of good weather on the local twisties.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Just did my V up with Krylon OD Green on the plastics and SEM self-etching black primer on the tank. Yeah!
OD Green/Black 08 Versys: R1 Shock/RoadStar spring-Baldwin Gel Saddle-Stainless Lines-Ferodo Pads-Arrow Can-Givi Screen-12V Outlet-Happy Trails Panniers-OEM Top Case/SW Motech Top Rack-HB Crash Bars-SuperSprox 44T-Frame Sliders-Spools-Oxford Grip Heaters-Barkbusters-HealTech Gear Indicator-PIAA Horn-Doubletake Mirrors-Voltage Meter-Oil Temp Gauge-PB Hugger-Lowered Pegs-Flatfoot-Michelin Pilot Road 2-Debadged-30k miles
Old 09-25-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrick View Post

Also the headlight brackets were painted black (but the stianless steel t-bolt clamps were left alone), and the radiator resovoir bottle was changed to a transparent black/grey. I also put on a pair of Bridgestone Battlax S20's and they are much more confidence inspiring than the stock tires. Very sticky once warmed up, really enjoying these last few weeks of good weather on the local twisties.
You deserve a prize for the most patient guy around here. Project is lookin good!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:23 AM

project update:

I haven't been riding too much, just when I need to get somewhere fast when its not raining.

A couple of goodies in the mail...

hella headlamp conversion (E-Code variety), takes H4 bulbs, has a small running lamp as well. I haven't actually installed it yet but i have hooked it up quickly to look at the beam pattern. Compared to the Wagner sealed beam, there is a huge difference. The wagner has lots of small squares with fuzzy edges, they spread out at a distance and kind of diffuse, overlapping at the edges. The hella lamp has clean cutoff lines, almost looks like a projector lamp. Will take pics when installed.

650r gas tank, choose the 2009-2011 models because earlier models do not have a provision for a fuel gauge.

quick mockup of the gas tank

fit is good, the seat will need to be trimmed a bit less than a half inch where it meets the gas tank. Can make it fit forcefully but the vinyl scrunches up as it flexes. Looks better from the back, kinda worse from the side/front, but the brackets were just too much for me to tackle on the old tank. The new tank is smaller, I don't mind the change in capacity, this is not an adventure bike for me any more, not by a long shot. The smaller size does make the bikes belly look a bit fat though. Really looking forward to painting the new tank and seing how it looks with the OD green and tank pad (current tank is scratched up from zippers on leather jacket with new riding position).

since i lean forward on this bike now, the passenger kinda sits vertical in the back being hit by the windblast, sometimes they try to lean forward to hold onto me and they just end up sliding forward onto my portion of the seat. No bueno. Long term goals = shorten subframe and give it a solo saddle look. For now I'll start with removing the passenger pegs... cleans up the look a bit in my opinion:

I also removed the hose pipe clamp on the makeshift radiator overflow resovoir and replaced it with 3 heavy duty black zip ties. Less noticeable, more murdered out black look to match the rest of the frame.

Last edited by Norrick; 12-06-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement