Recommend me auxiliary lights - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Performance

Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 PM

Default Recommend me auxiliary lights

I'm thinking about mounting a pair of auxiliary lights for my 09 V. I'd like to mount them on my H&B engine guards, I want LED lights it's not a deal breaker but I would like round lights, not square, I prefer black, under $300.
The main purpose for the lights is to increase my visability during the day, secondary use will be increase light output at night, tertiary purpose is because they will look badass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Hi Ray, I installed the Twisted Throttle Denali D2D LED's on my '09 a couple of weeks back. Mounted on the SW-Motech adapters which put them pretty much in line with the headlight. They do work really well but won't meet your $300 price point I do most of my riding in the city so I like having them wired as low-high....I'm not blinding other drivers in traffic but I still have the full intensity when I need it. Only minor problem I have had is a little bit of flickering on low beam, not a huge deal. To me they look badass but nothing like a big pair of CIBIE's with grating over them

2009 Versys
Givi V35 sidecases w/ Admore lights
SW-Motech rear rack
Givi windscreen
First Gear dual heat-troller
Thermo-Bob
Denali D2D LED driving lights
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 PM

I have the Denali D1s on my '11 Versys with the SWMotek mounts.

I bought a pair of the bullet Mondolights LED lights for my Concours. About $150, round and solid build quality with all wiring included. http://www.mondomotos.com/product/MM10aux/
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 PM

D1s were on sale today.

I have D2s with the high/low option. I like them, but I don't think they meet your cost requirement. I got them in a group buy.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 AM

Kawasaki 2011 verseys , 2009 klxf
Default Led

LED lights draw a lot less curent than oem lights and sometimes need a resister to boost the amps so the electrical system reconizes that there is a light attached to it . I found out this problem when i changed my boat trailer lights to led and my vw toureg the computer system did not reconize them , I had to get a u-haul plug adapter with a booster built in after alot of research. Maybe on low beam they are flickering for that reason. I put battery powered LED bicycle lights with 2-modes on-flasing front & rear and there badass . Just an idea for $35.00
Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber

Check out ADVmonster.com, very reasonable prices and excellent customer service. I also think he give a discount to ADVRider forum members. I have two sets on different bikes and they work great. When I had an issue with 2 leds burning out after 2 years of use I emailed him where I could find replacement LEDs and he sent me 2 new LED chips which I was able to solder in place and was back in business....can't ask for better service and standing behind his products.

My bikes with his lights...

Halfthrottle
Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Wow, that garage is a mess LOL.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
Wow, that garage is a mess LOL.
but it's a happy mess
a clean work bench is a sign of a bored mind
Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 PM

i'll second ADVmonster.com, got a set a couple years ago and there still going strong.they put out a crazy amount of light
Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

I put a pair of MondoMotos MM-12's on my Versus. Under $100

After some 50k miles, I replaced the Walmart specials ( http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5571 ) and mounted them on the Twisted Throttle mount, but I could have used the same extended fairing bolt I used for the Walmart setup.

I did it mainly for lower power consumption and bulb longevity.

Old setup:

New MM-12's:

A2ron
Charleston, SC

Last edited by A2RON; 12-04-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post

I miss my BX23. I sold it last year because we downsized and I didn't need it anymore but I still miss it like crazy.
Oh yeah, all the lights look awesome. I've got some shopping to do.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 PM

I have this in my watch list. Maybe sometime next year, after the HID mod. US$184.00

http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/181029770...84.m1438.l2649

Read the reviews.

http://www.farklemyride.com/2012/11/...a-komy-lights/
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 12-05-2012, 06:53 AM

The garage is MUCH cleaner these days....a friend shamed me into cleaning it up...I'm a slob I admit it....the work benches are still cluttered. Always a project going on with something.

I love my BX24 some of the best money I ever spent.

Halfthrottle
Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
I have this in my watch list. Maybe sometime next year, after the HID mod. US$184.00

http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/181029770...84.m1438.l2649

Read the reviews.

http://www.farklemyride.com/2012/11/...a-komy-lights/

Did I read that right? $1,000 shipping

Halfthrottle
Old 12-05-2012, 01:07 PM

The article from Farkle My Ride is one I wrote. I just contacted Komy about the shipping estimator. I know it is wrong. I only paid around $15 to get it shipped to Vancouver, BC, Canada. My guess would be under $20 anywhere in North America.

The lights are outstanding, however Komy I believe is out of stock on the 3000 lumen sets until after Christmas so there may be a slight delay ordering.

The lights on the Versys are much better than on the Tiger 1050 which I used for the review and video. Especially with a simple bulb upgrade, and some time spent ensuring the aim is correct. The Komy 1600's would likely be sufficient, but the 3000 LEDs are simply incredible at full power when out alone on a dark road. They also will get you noticed when they are flashed at drivers who are inattentive. On the Versys I would even consider not bothering with the dimmer, and simply wire/mount an on/off switch on the handlebars to use with the high beams only as the low beam is very good on the Versys.

Here is the video review I made to accompany the article. It gives you a chance to see the various light modes, as well as how bright they are in a pitch dark environment.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitmind View Post
On the Versys I would even consider not bothering with the dimmer, and simply wire/mount an on/off switch on the handlebars to use with the high beams only as the low beam is very good on the Versys.
That gives up two of the benefits of driving lights. Helping motorists ahead of you at night to recognize that your headlight belongs to a motorcycle, rather than half of a car. And to help motorists to judge how fast you're approaching. It's easier to judge the approach speed of a triangle of 3 lights than of a single headlight.

Maybe those don't matter to everyone. As a commuter I ride in a lot of traffic at night, so it matters to me.

With my lights, I use a wide angle lens on the right, and even on low beam I find it helps illuminate around turns a little better than the headlight alone.

Not sure if it's the same for your setup, but with my Denali D2 kit, high beam and low beam are controlled by the headlights--if you wire it up that way. No extra cost or hassle to use the dimmer, since it switches with your headlights.

Last edited by davidg; 12-05-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitmind View Post
The article from Farkle My Ride is one I wrote. I just contacted Komy about the shipping estimator. I know it is wrong. I only paid around $15 to get it shipped to Vancouver, BC, Canada. My guess would be under $20 anywhere in North America.

The lights are outstanding, however Komy I believe is out of stock on the 3000 lumen sets until after Christmas so there may be a slight delay ordering.

The lights on the Versys are much better than on the Tiger 1050 which I used for the review and video. Especially with a simple bulb upgrade, and some time spent ensuring the aim is correct. The Komy 1600's would likely be sufficient, but the 3000 LEDs are simply incredible at full power when out alone on a dark road. They also will get you noticed when they are flashed at drivers who are inattentive. On the Versys I would even consider not bothering with the dimmer, and simply wire/mount an on/off switch on the handlebars to use with the high beams only as the low beam is very good on the Versys.

Here is the video review I made to accompany the article. It gives you a chance to see the various light modes, as well as how bright they are in a pitch dark environment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KIg8_se1Ho
I am actually undecided between these and a pair of Rigid Industries 2" lead.

Rigid's only pull 12 watt each and still gives quite sufficient brightness. No idea of the lumency though. And from their promo video, boy that thing is tough! the squarish shape made it a tad large.

Komy's seems smaller and that made The deal for me.

Plus i'm scratching my head on how to mount it on the versys other than getting an sw-motech kit. Loved that location but just cant find any other way.
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Did I read that right? $1,000 shipping
Nope. Drop him a mail to get a correct quote.
He quoted me usd13 to ship from hongkong to malaysia.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low

Last edited by andrewhtf; 12-09-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
Plus i'm scratching my head on how to mount it on the versys other than getting an sw-motech kit. Loved that location but just cant find any other way.
Sorry if you were wondering about where to mount that specific light.

I think the best place for driving lights is the upper fork tubes. There are various clamps you can find for this. From relatively expensive CNC'd things, to cheap looking inexpensive ones.

I mounted my lights at one of the fender mounting bolts. That makes the light unsprung weight, which some won't like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3161.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	16337  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 AM

Nah it's ok.

Traditionally, i could mount it on the fender like you did, or get a bar clamp and mount it on the engine guard. However I am just concerned with losing that led light IF i take a spill.

Using a fork clamp on the other hand, had got me imagining that the beam would be concentrated in the middle as apposed to a wider position beside the radiator shrouds. Alternatively i could just get someone to weld up some 2mm iron bars (or cut and bend aluminium sheets) and bolt it on the windshield mounting just like this.

Howver i have in my mind a different set of lights in that position, so i'll prefer the shrouds for these komy lights. i've just Put in an order for the sw motech mounting kit.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement