Be very aware of trusting card fuel pumps in isolated areas. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Member Rides

Member Rides Show off your Versys...

Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Default Be very aware of trusting card fuel pumps in isolated areas.

The story starts with a friend of mine who is having a lot of issues getting his seat right on his Z750. Without going into the whole story this seat has had so many mods now it not funny, it has been built up inside to raise the front by at least an inch, his gel seat has been inserted in the seat and he also brought an airhawk. as we are going a 9 day ride away in jan he wanted to test ride at least a 400k so like a couple of nutter's we did not ahead away until 4.30pm as we both had things on that day and did not get back home till midnight and done 500k.

Did not take photos of a beautiful ride around lakes but at last minute we decided to detour into mount cook for a meal to clock up more K's, 110 k round trip.

When we got within 10 k's of mount cook village it started to rain and cool down and they had the fire on inside and to think we only weeks away from longest day or end of the world. The day had started out promising at home as it was supposed to get up to 27 C.

This is where it gets funny, the Z 750 can be thirsty on fuel and on the road in we were going quick using up a lot of fuel and on a couple of long straights had the versys screwed out at 187k and he pulled up along side on the z then took off. There are no manned garages there just a 24/7 auto card thing which was out of order and it had a free phone beside it which was not answered and had to laugh as it had a $5.00 surcharge for requesting help for any issues. Everything up at Mount cook is geared for tourists.

The only thing we could do was to back track to the nearest town of Twizel and my poor friend had his fuel light flashing and was riding along at 80 kph to conserve fuel and it had got dark at around 9.30 pm so we limped into Twizel and the main garage was shut and my mate knew of this card pump just on other side of town and when we arrived the first pump was out of order but thank goodness the other one worked and he was that happy to get fuel, he filled up the versys as well, we think he had well under 0.5 of litre left. His wife was not impressed when he rang her as he said he would not be home much after 8 pm so he may be in the dog box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 PM

+1 Totally agree kiwi! Sadona AZ is a place to watch out for that!

Pump not working next thing they have all your info and CC#.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Man that place is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! I can't wait til I win the lotto so I can come visit! Lord have mercy Phil. I don't think you need to visit the USA, unless you need something to help you appreciate where you live. I know I'm repeating myself every time you post pics, but I just can't get over how gorgeous it is there. Ok, I'll try to stop gushing now.....
Old 12-02-2012, 09:41 PM

Very nice spot indeed! Help me understand the sign for the Cafe that offers CD burning. I don't understand why someone would use that service, except maybe to offload photos from their digital camera maybe. ?

On my list of places to visit "for sure, for sure".
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys

Tigerpawed, this is a major tourist hotspot so i would guess your right that it is to upload from digital camera's.

http://www.mtcooknz.com/mackenzie/Mount_Cook/

If any one interested here is a link to a lot of photos of the area and well worth a trip down under to have a look at, The mount cook village is only 200 km from me would ride up just to have a coffee and turn around and never get fed up with the awsome view in middle earth.
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=mo...w=1366&bih=673
Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 AM

Beautiful land scape! Love to have the chance to one day both ride and sail in NZ.

December 21 may be the longest day in the year for you guys "down under" but us guys "up top" are living with 8 hours of usually overcast daylight and 16 hours of night time (@ 44N) this time of year.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
December 21 may be the longest day in the year for you guys "down under" but us guys "up top" are living with 8 hours of usually overcast daylight and 16 hours of night time (@ 44N) this time of year.
At the moment where I live, sunrise 5.46am and sunset 9.06pm so plenty of daylight hrs for riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement