DIY Molded Ear Plugs? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:45 PM

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 2007

In theory there is nothing better than a moulded earplug for a perfect seal. Done "correctly" they should work fine. I do think that the silicon needs to be "injected" into the ear with a syringe, to fill the cavity properly. A small cotton plug on the thin string is carefully placed into the air to act as a dam. Then the silcon is injected in and left to set for 10 mins. This is how it is professionally done. All my three sets were done this way and they all work perfectly. In theory, there is no ear canal that cannot be filled. It needs to be done properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
In theory, there is no ear canal that cannot be filled. It needs to be done properly.
Filling the ear canal and blocking sound isn't sufficient to make a working ear plug. It has to be comfortable and remain in place. Mine failed on the last one. Other people complain about the first.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 PM

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 2007

Davidg. You should come and visit New Zealand some time, ride some great roads, view some great scenery, eat some great food and get some great earplugs made. Lol.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Davidg. You should come and visit New Zealand some time, ride some great roads, view some great scenery, eat some great food and get some great earplugs made. Lol.
HELLUVA deal! (Not cheap though....)

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I'd love to see middle earth! And if I got a set of custom plugs that didn't pop out when I moved my jaw, that would be a bonus.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM

Just an update to this thread and a review of the Radians for you guys.

Having read this post I went to Amazon and ordered a pair of the Radians for $11 with free shipping (Prime Member). Figured I'd give them a try for that price point.

Just to give you some background... I'm the Safety Director for a construction company and have spent 17 years working in safety and dealing with hearing protection issues. I have tried hundreds of brands of ear plugs and muffs in an occupational setting. I currently have half a dozen types of ear plugs I can use on a daily basis when riding my V. I wear earplugs every time I ride because I have a cheap helmet and it is loud, mostly from wind noise. The foam ear plugs I currently use have a NRR rating of 33db. There are ear plugs out there that have a higher NRR rating but I have found that anything over NRR 34db results in all sound being cutoff and I can no longer hear what is going on around me, I don't even hear the engine running at high RPMs. --------Just a quick note on NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) and db (decibels) -- Normal conversation is around 60db. I haven't measured the the db's inside my helmet yet (I should do that sometime since I have the monitor) but I would guess that it is in the range of 90-95 db at 60mph. OSHA (Our governmental safety overlords) require hearing protection when a worker is exposed to sound levels above 85db. So if we do the math... with my 33db earplugs in I reduce the sound hitting my ear drum to 57-62 db. Well within normal conversational decibel levels. I contend that if you wear an earplug with 37db NRR rating you are blocking out too much of the world around you. I have tried at least 8 different earplugs for motorcycle riding ranging from soft foam to silicone/plastic models. Most work well, but some protrude too far out of the ear and it is uncomfortable when I put on or take off my helmet. An issue I have found with my own personal ears is that the ear canal in my right ear is larger than my left. Inevitably this leads to hearing more noise with my right ear as all the different foam earplugs do not expand to the same amount.

Okay.. now enough of the boring background info and on to the actual review.

I received the Radians and opened them with a skeptical mind. I didn't see how these little tubs of goop were going to work very well. I read and followed the directions and followed some advice given in various customer reviews of the product. The directions were pretty straight forward.

Step 1: Open tub of white goop and divide the quantity in half. Then divide that quantity in half (so you're quartering it). Set aside.

Step 2: Open tub of blue goop (or whichever color you picked when purchasing) and divide the quantity in half. Then divide that quantity in half (so you're quartering it). Set aside.

Now you are ready to start the mixing of the two ingredients. Make sure you have set aside at least 30 minutes from the time you press the two ingredients together as that is when the curing process starts.

Step 3: Take one quarter of both blue and white goop and start kneading them together in your hand. Continue to knead for at least 30 seconds ensuring that there are no streaks of white or blue showing.

Step 4: Lay down on your couch or floor (on your side), turn on the TV, and cram that goop down in your ear. Roll it into an elongated ball before hand so you can at least start it down your ear canal.

Step 5: Follow the included directions as you cram it into your ear. You're basically going to fold over the excess material and smooth it down. It sounds complicated, but you'll see what I mean when you start it.

Step 6: Spend about a minute getting it all smoothed out with your fingertip and be prepared for what comes next....

What comes next? That goop in your ear is going to start to cure and harden. This was a pretty weird sensation. It wasn't uncomfortable per se but you'll see what I mean. By the way... stay laying on your side for at least 10 minutes... I went 15 minutes just to be sure.

Step 7: Get up.. dig your new earplug out of your ear. It may take some time the first time you do this because you aren't used to how you get these in and out. It isn't like foam ear plugs that you just grab and pull. You have to kind of twist them as you take them in and out.

Step 8: Mark one of them somehow so you know which is right or left so you don't get them mixed up. Mine came out looking significantly different from each other (due to the larger ear canal on right side) your's may not.

Step 9: Repeat for other side and then store the excess back in their containers.

If you read closely and were paying attention you will have noticed that you quartered the amounts of goop.... so basically you can make 2 complete pairs (4 total plugs) with this one purchase. So you don't really have to fear messing one of them up.

Now on to performance...

The NRR rating on these is 26db. I'm not sure how they came up with that since there are too many variables to the human ear and the ability for humans to closely follow directions. Irregardless I would guess that their NRR is pretty darn close to 26db at least as far as my own applications of them have shown. Real world sound reduction on these is very good. Unlike my 33db earplugs I can now hear the wind noise from my helmet, but basically I can just hear that the sound is there, it is not painful or loud. I actually prefer this 26db sound reduction as I can now hear my engine and sounds around me. I don't get the feeling that I have been totally isolated from the world.

Fit and comfort is great on these as well. With foam earplugs I would sometimes feel I had "lost the seal" due to head or jaw movement and suddenly I would be getting air noise and it would be obvious a lot more sound was reaching my ear. With these DIY plugs I have not felt that at all. I get a perfect seal every time. The other nice thing about these plugs is that they are spread out across the folds of the ear more so less sound has a chance to get into your ear canal. This changes the frequency of that loud wind/helmet noise quite a bit (in a good way). The plugs are much more comfortable in my ears because they don't go as deep into my ear canal as foam plugs I jam in there. They are also more comfortable under my helmet as they don't stick out of my ear at all, they are flush with my ear.

All in all I think this is a good product for someone to try out custom earplugs and it is what I have switched to using for every ride. They have converted me and now I'm going to research local audiologists in my area to try and get some professional ones made.

Hope this has helped you guys out.

EDIT: Adding link and photos.

Amazon Amazon

(not my ears )

May the road always curve in front of you.

Last edited by Zatx; 12-14-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 AM

2011 Kawasaki Versys

Thanks for this in-depth review Zatx! Great info.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:47 AM

2009 Kawasaki '09.5 Blue

Yes, great job on the review and gotta love that price! I've been a "Softies" guy for years but this makes me want to give the Radians a try.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:15 PM

Zatx

Thank you for your review. I picked up the Radians kit but I'm going to get it as a Christmas gift so I won't get to make the plugs for a couple weeks yet.

I hope my experience goes as well as yours did. Thanks for the tip on only using 1/4 for each ear. I was thinking that since I want the plugs smaller (not sticking out of the ear much) it sounds like using less of the material would be the way to go.

Mitch
Old 12-14-2012, 03:33 PM

Just to add to this review and clarify a point.

This was written from the point of view of someone that rides 8 minutes to work in a city setting. There are two spots of my ride where I get up to 60mph (the first mile and the last mile). My average speed for my commute is somewhere around 40mph. Needing to hear traffic sounds while cutting down on wind noise is what I expect from an earplug. These 26db plugs fulfill that role for me in this setting.

If I was going to be riding sustained highway speeds, in a highway setting, for long periods of time, I would probably opt for a 33/34db earplug to eliminate all the noise I possibly could. Each decibel represents increased fatigue over a long ride.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
If I was going to be riding sustained highway speeds, in a highway setting, for long periods of time, I would probably opt for a 33/34db earplug to eliminate all the noise I possibly could. Each decibel represents increased fatigue over a long ride.
That is interesting, I was thinking the exact opposite, but maybe fore a different reason.

The 32db foam ear plugs are rated at that level when they are installed 100% correct.
I have had several times where the feel like they are getting "loose" during a longer ride but I don't want to stop just to adjust my ear plugs, so instead I end up wearing them that way to the next gas stop, only effective at maybe 75% (24db).

If I can get a constant 26db out of the molded ones I will probably end up with a better overall ear protection. Plus, the added comfort will be nice on those full day rides.

I'll have to wait (4 months until the snow melts ) to try things out with my new N104 anyway. Hopefully the 26db molded plugs are enough with that helmet.

Mitch
Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Wow, thanks zatx for the review.

However i have some problem in considering the radians. The skin of my outer ear is flaky. It's short of saying psoriasis, although not to same extent but yeah you get the idea. Every day i would be able to scrape plenty of dead dry skin. Setting up the radian? I'm sure plenty of dead skin would get stuck while curing the radian. So, while it may work for some one, i cant say it will work for me. so to each his own there.

I've been using this plugs. The rating says 37db but i cant say for sure. All i know is that i loved it. Plus i wear head cloth that covers the ear too, so no problem with foam plugs moving out of position while putting on or taking off helmet.

- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low

Last edited by andrewhtf; 12-14-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:42 AM

I bought a set of Fuze DIY moulded plugs with earphones.

The quality was good, with fabric coated cables that don't twist up into a mess like the plastic coated ones do. The sound quality was good.

The two-part mix was easy and the process of fitting the earphone into the ear and they packing the silicone was easy.

There was a bit of a problem in that the earbud was a real squeeze in my ear canal and I don't know how long I could have ridden with them.

When I put the helmet on they pulled out of my ears. My helmet is very close fitting and perhaps other helmets won't do this but there was no way I could wear them under the helmet.

I thought they might be more successful had I not used the whole amount of silicone, so I sliced off layers of the stuff but I could not get them slim enough to behave.

So it's the foam squeezies for a bit longer for me.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
Wow, thanks zatx for the review.

However i have some problem in considering the radians. The skin of my outer ear is flaky. It's short of saying psoriasis, although not to same extent but yeah you get the idea. Every day i would be able to scrape plenty of dead dry skin. Setting up the radian? I'm sure plenty of dead skin would get stuck while curing the radian. So, while it may work for some one, i cant say it will work for me. so to each his own there.
Take heart Andrew.. I have the exact same problem you mentioned! I actually forgot to include the very first step..... to thoroughly clean out your ears! I used a warm wet washcloth followed by a Q-tip (Yeah yeah I know they can be dangerous if inserted too far, but I've been doing this 40 years and have never done that). As far as problems associated with that condition on a daily basis there are none. The silicone wipes right off.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:00 AM

I'm not a Dr. and you may have already seen one, but it sounds like you have an issue similar to what I and my children have. It turns out it's a fungus we can't seem to get rid of.
Selsun Blue shampoo can eliminate it for a time though so you may want to ask your dr or give the shampoo a try occasionally.

Sorry for the thread derail.

I bought some of the Radian stuff to try and have some noise isolating earphones. I came up with a decent seal the first time but I think I can do a little better so I ordered some more to try again.

Thanks for your review, it's given me some ideas on what to do differently next time.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-Steady View Post
...The 32db foam ear plugs are rated at that level when they are installed 100% correct.
I have had several times where the feel like they are getting "loose" during a longer ride but I don't want to stop just to adjust my ear plugs, so instead I end up wearing them that way to the next gas stop, only effective at maybe 75% (24db)....Mitch
In so far as EACH 3db either DOUBLE or HALF the sound pressure level (27db is TWICE as loud as 24db!), when your 32db plugs loosen, a 75% reduction would end up being in the vicinity of 27.5db....

(HALF of 32db = 29db; HALF of 29db = 26db, etc.)

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 AM

Thanks for testing, your report made me get them, too. I ride with them for a years or so now, and it's really a great improvement for my non-cylindrical ear canals. I can even keep them in when sleeping in loud environments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement