I just bought a Harley - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 AM

Great deal on the Dyna!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
That photo was taken on one of the most scenic highways in North America. It's the road that runs north from Banff to Jasper in Alberta, Canada. I was passing through in late August 2012.
I was born and raised in Alberta, and traveled the Banff/Jasper Highway (Icefields Parkway) MANY times, but I don't remember ever seeing the scene you used, which is why I asked....

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM

Great lookin' Dyna! I also own 3 bikes similar to your stable. Versys, DRZ400S, and the HD streetglide. Performance, handling and comfort the Versys wins without a doubt. The DR is great for DS riding and just plain fun. The HD doesn't really do anything great but it keeps momma happy as she doesn't like to ride 2 up on the DR or the Versys. The HD's are pretty. Ok, I admit I like Chrome. I ride all 3 bikes weekly and all 3 have totally different personalities. I can say this without question the Versys is the best all around bike of the three by a huge margin. Just my humble opinion. Enjoy the Dyna!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 PM

I like your Dyna because it doesn't have forward controls. Highway pegs when you want, but a better riding position most of the time. Try to find a "Big Twin" without forward controls- it's not easy. If I was gonna get a H-D, it would be a Dyna like yours.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Nice new ride Islander.

On another note, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but it really amuses me how many people are experts on Harleys even though they have never ridden one.

I'm not bragging but I have owned 17 different bikes in my life and I must say that I have enjoyed each and every one immensely.
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU

Last edited by DennisD; 12-02-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:27 AM

2009 Kawasaki KLE650 VERSYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcircle View Post
I like your Dyna because it doesn't have forward controls. Highway pegs when you want, but a better riding position most of the time. Try to find a "Big Twin" without forward controls- it's not easy. If I was gonna get a H-D, it would be a Dyna like yours.
As you know I'm new to the world of H-D but I did find that the ergonomics on the Dyna Low Rider is a little cramped as far as leg room. I'm 5" 10" tall and I am beginning to see why highway pegs provide the opportunity to stretch out on longer rides. As for the forward control issue, not having ever had them I can't help but feel they might be a safety concern. I personally feel safer and more in control with standard brake and shifter locations.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
Nice, my next purchase planned after a Versys is a Harley Dyna. I have a Vulcan 900 now, but that just doesn't seem to "scratch the itch" for the cruiser spot in my garage.
So, I went to the Harley dealer and they actually talked me out of a Dyna, telling me how versatile the Versys is (which of course I already knew). So I ended up getting a brand new 2012 Nightster. So far I HAVE noticed a couple things the Harley actually does better (actual USEABLE mirrors, WOW what a concept,haha). And I've noticed a couple things that aren't as good, like not being able to see (due to vibration) at low RPM. I think the Sportster is the perfect compliment to the Versys, since the Versys pretty much does everything I need it to, when I feel like going "naked" and riding a motor with wheels, this will hit the spot.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 PM

Congrats, I love Harleys. I hated them until I rode an 03 Heritage Softail, then I understood. BTW,
What's the difference between a Harley and a Vacuum cleaner.....the location of the Dirtbag! Just kidding. I have a Suzuki M50 cruiser as well as my ER6n.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
So, I went to the Harley dealer and they actually talked me out of a Dyna, telling me how versatile the Versys is (which of course I already knew). So I ended up getting a brand new 2012 Nightster. So far I HAVE noticed a couple things the Harley actually does better (actual USEABLE mirrors, WOW what a concept,haha). And I've noticed a couple things that aren't as good, like not being able to see (due to vibration) at low RPM. I think the Sportster is the perfect compliment to the Versys, since the Versys pretty much does everything I need it to, when I feel like going "naked" and riding a motor with wheels, this will hit the spot.
congrats. just sold my 04 1200r had 55000 miles on the bike . Go to www.xlforum.net and check out xlxr 7 pages on suspension.It will make the ride a little more enjoyable. I just sold my set of ohlins rear shocks for the sportster.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 AM

well....I guess everybody's gotta have a hobby. I've wanted to take a Harley, keep the stock pipes on it, put some Hepco-Becker boxes on, put semi-knobbies on, change the shocks, add GPS bracket, and whack off the footboards and weld regular pegs at least 2 feet back and make it an urban pothole assault vehicle!

Seriously tho' , I think if I were to go cruiser it would have to be a Moto Guzzi California. Totally a "non-biker" cruiser.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 AM

Congratulations on the new bike.

I had rode my brothers Harley for the first time over Xmas. My first thought was...what a piece of crap. Couldn't brake and the handling was just as bad.

But after a couple hundred miles jetting around town I realized the appeal. For short pleasure rides there is something very enjoyable about all the noise and vibrations. There is also something that makes you feel good about dealing with all of the things that make it not ideal. If my plan was a short ride or just short commuter a V-twin would be at the top of my list. As a second bike it is a great choice.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 AM

I've owned over 10 bikes and tried well over 30 (I'm still just 35, so I should crank those numbers up over the year hehe). I've changed bikes 7 times in the past 6 years, trying to find the perfect bike that would do it all. Well conclusion it doesn't exist. You can have sexy, fun, unpractical or practical yet more rational.

So what I did is I now have 2 bikes, one Versys setup for touring, and my MT-01 for solo riding. Both bikes are loads of fun, but the MT-01 is really my solo fun bike, those big v-twins have just so much character it gets addictive very fast.

Here's a glimpse of what it feels like from the cockpit
http://youtu.be/UbxAN9nz-Tg?t=28s

If you live in Canada and are looking to buy a bike that compliments the Versys, try to find a used MT-01. Most are very low millage (mine won't be!) and have been well looked after. It's a V-twin in a sports frame with brakes from the R1 of those years and fully adjustable suspensions. Considering it's weight (570lbs) it handles amazingly well and the torque is just so much fun

Last edited by Kawa007; 02-18-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM

If they sold the MT-01 here it would be mine even though it's a Yamaha and is air cooled. Very cool bike. Two bikes is the only solution. I love cruisers but missed my Versys, hence my ER6N.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:47 AM

2012 Kawasaki Versys

Goddamn, that is a sexy bike! I've never even heard of an MT-01 before
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM

They were sold only in Canada, Europe, India and Australia. 2005-2009 in Canada, in Europe 2005-2012. So now all you can find is used ones. They we're never imported in the US, I think it's cause they thought the HD twin market was to hard to compete, but really I've had bikes like Speed Triple, Scrambler, FZ8, and tried bikes from just about every brand except H-D, and have never had a bike that felt so alive If you can find one for a test ride, do try it!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM

My next will be a R1200 GS. I just have to have a boxer motor on day.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post

Considering it's weight (570lbs) it handles amazingly well and the torque is just so much fun
That looks like a hoot to ride! I can imagine the feeling of a big V-Twin in a light frame. Sooooo much fun! I so wish it were available in the US . Please take her out for a few miles in my honor!

Versys Owners/Riders Map Here.

Add your name and see who's near you!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM

With this exhaust your neighbors would love you....

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to rlj

I bought an 05 Sporty Roadster about 3 weeks ago on a whim....never thought I'd like it as much as I do! The new Michelin Commander II tires made a HUGE difference in handling, almost as maneuverable as the V. Took off the crazy loud Python pipes (reason I never cared for HD's) and put on a Supertrapp Supermeg pipe, added a solo seat and rack, new grips, levers, a clock, fork bag, swing arm bag and and nice tail roll bag.

The 1200 motor is nice. It will almost pull you out from the seat if your not holding on tight. I hate to say it but now I get some of the Harley hoopla.

02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM

nice r this is the one I sold a couple weeks ago
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 220.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	16921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 221.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.2 KB