DIY Molded Ear Plugs? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 PM

Default DIY Molded Ear Plugs?

I did a quick search and came up with several threads about ear plugs, but I waned to get some more feedback on the DIY molded ones. I use the cheap foam ones now and I'm considering getting/making a set of molded ones.

What brands have you guys used, and how do you like them? It looks like Radians seems to be common brand on the net.
How long do they last if you wash them regularly?
Anyone tried molding in ear buds for music?

I have also read that it may be worth it to contact my local hearing aid place and see if they make molded ear plugs, anyone else go that route?

Thanks,

Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 PM

I use the foam ones. Just wonder how good the others are?

The foam ones are very effective!

Sorry not much help but, there is a pretty long thread on this, and all kinds of them!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:03 PM

I've tried & sort of failed on the diy route
Currently use ear-pro sonic defenders
I will eventually end up with custom made plugs
I've seen custom mades with drivers molded in but feel isolated when I have any earbuds drowning out the voices

steve
Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM

I have a pair of molded ear plugs. I got them done at the international motorcycle show when they came into town at the beginning of the month. I really like them so far. I may be a bit used to this type of thing though since I had molded ear plugs as a kid for the pool (I had major ear problems as a kid).
I had mine made by a local guy that's been doing it for years. Supposedly they should last for up to 10 years. A variation with sound drivers were available, but they are really expensive. I paid $60ish for mine. The music playing ones were something like $300-$400.

I'd also recommend asking a hearing aid place. Might be able to use some insurance if you go through them.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM

Thanks PSORngr. I was planning on going to the international motorcycle show in Minneapolis, MN in January.
I think I will check out my local hearing aid place and if I come up dry there, I can just plan on getting them at the show.

BlackDog, you do make a valid point about the voices.

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 11-28-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

The memory foam ones mold to your ear when you insert them. Just scrunch up by rolling between yoru fingers, insert in ear, and let them expand to fill the ear canal.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 AM

If your health plan covers hearing aids it will probably cover professionally made silicone plugs. My last set cost me $7. The set before that, $6. Go see a good audiologist and have them done right. Your hearing is too precious to waste. I lost hearing in one ear and recently had it restored. You done realize what hearing in stereo is worth.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:22 AM

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 2007

I use the Earmould brand. Thick liquid silicone pumped into your ears and sets. I use them for clay bird shooting and motorcycling. Excellent. I had my first set made in 2003 and still going strong. At a shooting event they are fitted numerous times during the day. The agent who made them, makes them with ear phones fitted. Great idea. Easy to clean, durable.
Easiest way to clean them is to suck the wax of when you moisten them before fitting. Tasty. Check out shooting suppliers. There will be agents right throughout the country. You could even become an agent yourself. Easy to do. Hope this helps
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 AM

I've used the radians, they work fine, I've also gotten them made at the motorcycle show, more colors and a bit softer and more comfortable than the radians. And lastly I got a set done by an audiologist. Any place that does hearing aids will be able to do them. They will do the same thing as what you get at the motorcycle shows, then those molds are sent out to make the ear plugs. The roll up foam and silicon plugs always seem to fall out of one ear when putting on a helmet. The custom plugs don't do that and will last a long time. I have 1/2 a set that is over ten years old, the other half is now a radian's plug I did myself.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 AM

My wife and I each had a set professionally made (around $50 per set), mine for on the V, hers for my snoring.

My set are uncomfortable under my helmet, and BOTH of us just use the foam plugs that are good for 33 decibles now, so $100 wasted...!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My set are uncomfortable under my helmet, and BOTH of us just use the foam plugs that are good for 33 decibles now, so $100 wasted...!
This has me thinking that maybe I should try a cheap pair of the DIY Radians for about $15. That way I can try them under my helmet and even just wear them around the house to see how the long term comfort it.

If I'm happy with them I'll just keep them, or look at a better professionally made pair. If I don't like them, at least I will not have wasted money on a expensive custom set.

Mitch
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 2007

When you get a set made to fit under your helmet, tell then not to have the silicon protruding to far out of your ear. That's what I did and they work fine.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 PM

This hardly contribute to the thread, but just for sharing, I am using foam type earplugs. Doesnt seal out the noise totally, sufficient to muffle a major part of noise. Just what i wanted since total deafness is not what i want while riding. With the exhaust blaring and wind noise singing around the helmet, i dont want to listen to music.

I wear a balaclava hence has no issue with foams falling out while putting on helmet.
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 PM

2011 Kawasaki Versys

I like the foam plugs... Cheap to buy and I don't have to keep track of them. I have a stash of ten or twelve under the seat and never have to worry much about misplacing any... And I've found they work well for me - noise wise.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber

I tried the do-it yourself ones and frankly I wasn't really happy. They didn't seem to work as well as the foam ones. Foam earplugs are cheap and disposable. More sanitary then reusable plugs. Just my 2 cents of course YMMV

Halfthrottle
Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 AM

an added bonus of the disposables is that some have a connecting cord
with those I don't have to worry about pushing them too far in and losing them in the void between my ears
Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
an added bonus of the disposables is that some have a connecting cord
with those I don't have to worry about pushing them too far in and losing them in the void between my ears

LOP
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 AM

I tried the guys who make the custom ear plugs at the Progressive International Motorcycle Shows. One advantage of those guys is if the plugs don't work for you, you get a quick and full refund. At least I did.

People have widely varying ear canal shapes. If the roll up kind don't work well for you, there's some chance molded ones won't also. I don't know if a good audiologist might do better than the guys I tried. I know the custom ear plugs at the motorcycle show work for a lot of people. And they do custom ear buds too.

What worked for me was this no-roll ear plug sampler kit, which lead me to Leight Pilot ear plugs. Best plug evah. For me. YMMV.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:04 AM

I have custom made plugs from an audiologist and I love them. I can't wear foam plugs, but the custom silicon are almost like having nothing in the ear and clean up easily. I have however, never worn them under my helmet. (I don't find cruising around town on the V to be all that loud).
Old 12-01-2012, 09:07 AM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

I bought a set at Gander Mountain that I use both for shooting and riding. It comes as a 2 part putty. You mix the 2 parts together and push it into your ear and it cures in about 10 minutes. then you pull them out and let them sit and finish curing.

I use mine when I mow, shoot (under my muffs), and ride. Highly recommend trying a set to see if they work for you. Mine are much more comfortable than the foam type.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...Plugs&i=415810

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 12-14-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement