Touring Helmets? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Rider's Gear

Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Old 11-28-2012, 05:58 AM

Default Touring Helmets?

Hello,

I have a problem that I detailed in a previous thread (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21525) i.e. I have a long oval head with wide long face,...it is a pain to have an appropriate helmet...after dropping the CMS brand (only one star on this http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/cms-gp4), I went to a local shop and tried most of his helmets with no success ... my head measurement is between 61-62 cm.

after he got tired, he indicated that I need to may be try TOURING helmet instead of racing ones...how accurate is this statement? can you suggest any touring helmets (for long oval head) you are using for daily commuting and long distance trips? how do touring helmet perform on highways at let say 100mile/h?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 AM

this is the shape of my head from the top....with some spaces
I don't know whether I should call this Narrow, Med. Narrow, Slight Narrow,Neutral or Slight Round...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my head.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	16310  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Good info here

And for touring helmet here

Good luck !

LOP
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Good info here

And for touring helmet here

Good luck !

LOP
Merci
Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM

Do to an oversized, misshapened melon of a head, I can only suggest doing a search for a bike show and try them on. Most of the descriptions & sizing seem to be guesses to me.

Last edited by BLACK DOG; 11-28-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Racing, Touring, I do not believe that has anything to do with head shape or helmet fit. I honestly believe is more a marketing gimmick. Professional racers have their helmets custom built for them. However, I understand that touring helmets are made to be worn for longer periods of time therefore they are built for comfort. You may have better luck with those marketed that way.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Racing, Touring, I do not believe that has anything to do with head shape or helmet fit. I honestly believe is more a marketing gimmick. Professional racers have their helmets custom built for them. However, I understand that touring helmets are made to be worn for longer periods of time therefore they are built for comfort. You may have better luck with those marketed that way.
Thanks. I'm now seriously considering the Shoei Qwest which everyone says that it is for long faced aliens like me lool....the thing is that I found an excellent offer on internet and there is no shop nearby where to try them...ahrgggg!!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:33 AM

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 2007

Arai helmets have removable internal cushioning in different thickness. You can customize your fitment.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 AM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Arai Profile and Arai Signet Q are specifically designed for your head shape

You might find the Bell RS-1 fits since it is designed for an intermediate oval

Some model Shark helmets are designed to fit your head shape.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
Arai helmets have removable internal cushioning in different thickness. You can customize your fitment.
So does shoei !

LOP
Old 12-01-2012, 05:15 AM

I got a very interesting deal on Arai signet Q...the thing is that I don't have any shop here in the city to try it first...and I will have to order it from the states so...I'm really really about to buy it, my only fear is that it seems it might be short for my long face: i.e. I'm afraid that my chin sticks out again on this one as well... :s
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM

I have ordered the Arai Signet Q XL....there was a flash sale with an interesting price and I pulled the trigger....I have to wait for 4 to 5 days before I get it and try it....they will be probably the longest days...I really really hope that it will fit properly and will cover my chin as well....I'm crossing my fingers :P
Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 PM

I don't think you'll regret it. You can modify the cheek pads, the head pad, you can order thinner, thicker if 5mm doesn't do the job. I own several helmets, but always end up riding in my Arai. Their Sai pinlock shield is pretty good I suggest you look into that too. Oh and one more thing the visor change mechanism. At the beginning I hated it but now I can do it with my eyes closed 5 seconds.I try to find you the right video for that.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:57 PM

Levelling is the key.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra View Post
I don't think you'll regret it. You can modify the cheek pads, the head pad, you can order thinner, thicker if 5mm doesn't do the job. I own several helmets, but always end up riding in my Arai. Their Sai pinlock shield is pretty good I suggest you look into that too. Oh and one more thing the visor change mechanism. At the beginning I hated it but now I can do it with my eyes closed 5 seconds.I try to find you the right video for that.
Thanks. I don't mind the pinlock or other stuffs, I just want it to fit my head AND COVER MY CHIN...there was a delay of 2 days in the shipment....so still 4 days to go...I measured the distance between my eyes and the botton of the chin and it is 14.3 cm...I spent hours looking on internet for the dimensions of the helmet to see if there are chances that my chin will not stick out the helmet and the Signet Q chin bar seems a bit short......what a mental torture.... :S
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM

I found this on youtube

it's John McGuinness....did you see how much his chin is sticking below the helmet???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement