Madstad adjustable windshield install on 2012 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Cosmetic

Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

Old 11-28-2012, 12:01 AM

Talking Madstad adjustable windshield install on 2012

Got my Madstad today and stuck it on tonight. Won't be test driving till tomorrow. First thing I noticed is that unlike my old madstad on my '06 Ulysses, this one is not hand-adjustable. Certainly not on the fly at a stoplight the way my old one was. They recommended removing the windshield and then using included mini-wrench and allen-wrench to loosen arm bolts. Pretty quick and easy to do, particularly compared to how it sounds, but not as easy as before. Installation was easy-cheesy-lemon-squeezy as my four-year old says.

Took a lotta pics! Click for embiggened ones.

Out of the box:

The bracket next to the bike with the stock windshield already removed:

Attaching the arms to the brackets:

I pulled these plastic bolts out before attaching the bracket. Pry cap open with flathead, lift out a bit til it stops, then close cap and lift the rest of the way out:

Assembled bracket mounted. You can mount the bracket in a couple different ways, depending on what holes you go with and how you mount the arms to the bracket:

Closeup of positioning the arms. For starting out, I chose a 60% angle with lowest position. Allen-headed bolts are what you'll be dealing with. Requires the two tools included for loosening/tightening duties. Instructions also recommend removing windshield completely for adjustments.

Windshield mounted. Thumb bolts into rubber nuts hold the shield in place to arms. Fast and easy to remove and mount.

Cockpit view:

Front:

We'll see how it feels tomorrow. It's been in mid-30s here for the morning commute. I've already tucked the included tools into my tool bag in case re-adjustment is needed after the first ride!

P.S. Here's a shot of Sam's (KTMDuals) rack on the bike, too!
http:://www.wheelnerds.com : A couple of nerds and their motorcycles podcast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the pics. I will be following your progress with this as I may go this route myself.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 AM

2009 650 verseys
Default old style madstad

Looks nice, speaking of the old style madstad on your buell i just made a adapter plate for a madstad that came off my old '07 xb12s buell for my '09 verseys. Works great. I'll post a few pics when i take some. I'am sure your madstad will make your riding that much smoother which on a verseys it's already nice.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM

At first, I was a little disappointed to lose the ability to go tweaking the windshield whenever I want without tools, but then considering how much I messed with the shield on the Uly (almost never), I decided it's not a big deal.
http:://www.wheelnerds.com : A couple of nerds and their motorcycles podcast
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 PM

Nice write up. Let us know how you like the setup after you get some time on it.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

Old 05-09-2014, 06:46 PM

Any follow up?
Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 PM

i just got half of my MadStad order... still waiting for my screen.

I got my bracket and adapter plate, the brackets are different from those above, my RoboBrackets are hand adjustable and do not need tools to make any adjustment to the screen angle once it is all mounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement