I just bought a Harley - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 PM

2009 Kawasaki KLE650 VERSYS
Default I just bought a Harley

I purchaced my 2009 Versys back in the spring of 2009 and have ridden it all over Canada and the USA. I have no intention of selling it but I just bought a 2004 Harley FXDL Dyna Low Rider. Having only had a short 25 mile ride since purchase I can comfortably say that the Versys is twice the bike in almost every way. I can also say that the Harley, despite the poor brakes, handling and performance is still the sexiest machine I've ever owned. Now with three bikes, Versys, Harley and a Honda CRF250 X in my garage, I will have the opportunity to really compare the brands and models over the next few years.
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
. . . I can also say that the Harley, despite the poor brakes, handling and performance is still the sexiest machine I've ever owned.
I think that's what Harleys are all about. There's no other way to explain why they sell so many. I hope you don't have a huge beer gut and wear a denim vest with patches all over it though. That's taking things just a bit too far IMHO.

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM

Looks pretty, can't deny it.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 PM

No, that's not me. I just finished an 11,000 mile tour of North America on the Versys and it didn't take more than a short ride on the Hog to appreciate what a beautiful bike the Versys is. I am already planning a trip down east next summer to the Canadian Maritime provinces. Friends all ask me which bike I plan to take. They are all surprised that I favor the Versys for any long rides. Here's a photo of my bike all loaded up for touring.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 PM

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 2007
Default looks nice

Looks great with all that chrome.
I heard that 90 percent of bikes on American roads are Harleys, because only 10 % made the trip home.
Once again, looks nice and enjoy your ride.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

Nice to have a mix of bikes as variety is the spice of life.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

I would not say that 90% of bike in the US are harleys. Between 70 to 80% have the same styling. There are lots of metric (Japanese and European) cruisers and tourers. The rest are mostly sport bikes (fully faired or naked). Adventure touring and standards like the versys have a relatively small market share. Have to remember, motorcycles are not considered sensible means of transportation in the US. The vast majority of people on the US considers motorcycling as a life style choice. Harley Davidson has done an excellent job with their marketing in that area.

I do not drink from the marketing Kool-aid and I do not like chrome therefore I do not consider cruisers desirable.

Last edited by Boricua; 11-26-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 PM

Nice, my next purchase planned after a Versys is a Harley Dyna. I have a Vulcan 900 now, but that just doesn't seem to "scratch the itch" for the cruiser spot in my garage.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Ats reeeeeal purty!!!!

:>)-
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
No, that's not me. I just finished an 11,000 mile tour of North America on the Versys and it didn't take more than a short ride on the Hog to appreciate what a beautiful bike the Versys is. I am already planning a trip down east next summer to the Canadian Maritime provinces. Friends all ask me which bike I plan to take. They are all surprised that I favor the Versys for any long rides. Here's a photo of my bike all loaded up for touring.
Location of the Versys picture???

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 11-27-2012, 12:07 PM

A Harley is about the only brand I havent tried yet. I'm sure the engine has loads of character, enjoy your shiny new ride! As for the rest you do indeed usually buy it for its looks and image. I have a Yamaha MT-01 which as a 1700cc pushrod v-twin engine and the character is like nothing I've ever tried before and not because of the power (its got 90HP-111lbs torque) but it's how it delivers it that is so satisfying, just the sound and low down vibration makes you grin everytime you start it! If they made a new MT-01 that was 100lbs lighter I'd buy it in a heart beat. That said in the handling department the MT is way behind the Versys yet I can't imagine myself ever selling it. And you'll probably have the same words about the Harley, it will be out-handled by the Versys, but the engine alone will make you smile every time you ride without the need to gun it

Last edited by Kawa007; 11-27-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:36 PM

Shiny.

Enjoy.

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Reading Material: motobones.com
Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I purchaced my 2009 Versys back in the spring of 2009 and have ridden it all over Canada and the USA. I have no intention of selling it but I just bought a 2004 Harley FXDL Dyna Low Rider. Having only had a short 25 mile ride since purchase I can comfortably say that the Versys is twice the bike in almost every way. I can also say that the Harley, despite the poor brakes, handling and performance is still the sexiest machine I've ever owned. Now with three bikes, Versys, Harley and a Honda CRF250 X in my garage, I will have the opportunity to really compare the brands and models over the next few years.
Great looking Dyna! Nice to have riding options, eh?

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Location of the Versys picture???
That photo was taken on one of the most scenic highways in North America. It's the road that runs north from Banff to Jasper in Alberta, Canada. I was passing through in late August 2012.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:54 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Looks a lot like Telluride, CO

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
I heard that 90 percent of bikes on American roads are Harleys, because only 10 % made the trip home.
No, no, no, you blew the punchline. It goes like this:

Did you know that 90% of all Harleys ever built are still on the road today?

The other 10% made it home.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Now with three bikes, Versys, Harley and a Honda CRF250 X in my garage...
That's a great lineup of bikes. Everyone is entitled to own what they want, as long as they can afford it without taking food out of the kids' mouths and all that, but I always wonder at people who have, say, a Versys, a Ninja 650 and an SV650 in the garage. Where's the diversity in that? (JMHO and all the other disclaimers apply, so no offense to anyone who owns that particular combo, 'cause they're all good bikes, but still.) Your combination is near perfect: Versys for the road, Low Rider for profiling, and the CRF for dirty stuff.

Personally, I'd go the sportbike route over the cruiser, to meet my need for track days, but that's partly because I did the Harley thing years ago and got it out of my system.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 PM

That is why I went with a Mean Streak. Good looks and performance.

Ninja brakes, USD forks, plenty of get up and go.

Nice looking cruiser.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 11-27-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 PM

Hey guys, I'm loving all the great feedback. My kids are both in their thirties and doing well so my love of bikes won't take any food out of their mouths. I'm a very lucky guy to be able to afford a few toys. I very much know that.

That Mean Streak is totally bad ass. What sealed the deal for me on the Harley was the $7400 price tag. It was just too clean a bike and oh so purdy and I figured I better jump on this now or maybe never own one. They call it the Harley Mystique and now I have a little understanding of that concept but it will never be "the lifestyle" that it is for many.

Next August I'm climbing on my Versys and going down east. I've always wanted to cruise the Cabot Trail and take a ferry out to Newfoundland so that's what I'm going to do.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:15 AM

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 2007

Thanks Motociclista. I was close. I heard that joke years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement