Another tire thread - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 PM

Default Another tire thread

My stocks have to be changed,i got about 12 000 km,the front is wasted,the back has more life into it,but since i am changing-let's make it a pair.
I ride 99% on road(i leave that 1% off-road for emergencies) ,mostly curvy roads and some highway cruising.
I like the looks of the Continental SuperMoto tires but i am concerned about the mileage i would get out of them.
Also where I live I can only get Continental,Dunlop and maybe Bridgestone and Pirelli.

What would you recommend for decent grip on a dry and wet surface, decent grip and mileage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

Bridgestone BT 023, have them on the versys and ninja 1000 and are getting more miles of wear out of them on the versys than my previous pirelli angels, then before that pirelli strada then the stock dunlops, have used the Bt 023's on a borrowed versys riding in malaysia and handled very well in very hot conditions, un even roads at times and one big rain down pour of which i have never seen rain drop out of the sky like that.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by kiwi 41; 11-26-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 AM

2008 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys Blue/Silver

+1 on BT023. Last well and good grip.

Ride safe,
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM

Michelin Pilot Road 2 (or 3 but depending on price difference it's not always worth going for the 3s for the small performance gain). I put Michelin PR2s on all my bikes and they are just so awesome and last too.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 AM

I've run several sets of ContiMotions, and can recommend them.
Fairly inexpensive too.

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvlatko View Post
My stocks have to be changed,i got about 12 000 km,the front is wasted,the back has more life into it,but since i am changing-let's make it a pair.
I ride 99% on road(i leave that 1% off-road for emergencies) ,mostly curvy roads and some highway cruising.
I like the looks of the Continental SuperMoto tires but i am concerned about the mileage i would get out of them.
Also where I live I can only get Continental,Dunlop and maybe Bridgestone and Pirelli.

What would you recommend for decent grip on a dry and wet surface, decent grip and mileage?
Since your using km assuming your in Canada. Pretty much any dealer can order from any of the tire manufacturers including Michelin. Also check out Pete's Superbike in Montreal - they do a brisk business in shipping tires and usually have the cheapest prices if you do not include shipping costs - shipping within Canada is a fraction of the price of cross border shipping. US retailers like MotorcycleSuperStore have amazing tire prices but don't ship to Canada and the few that do ship charge $100 to ship a tire cross border. Bottom line is it is not worth getting tires from the US unless you can have them shipped to a pickup point near the border in the US (there are lots of places that do this for a very small fee) and then drive to pick them up if you live nearby.

Just posted a thread on the quick wear of my Pirelli Scorpions before I saw this. I was happier with my previous Michelin PR2s and have had great feedback on the Michelin PR3s. The are a dual compound tire, harder rubber in center, so wear longer, don't flat spot, but still grip very well in the corners.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-27-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 PM

I'm very happy with the Avon Storm 2 tires I put on two seasons ago. They're a nice neutral road tire with good grip and great wet weather handling. I've even had them on dirt and gravel and they give you a better feeling than the stock Dunlops. I've got over 16,000km on them now and the front shows some wear, but it's even with no cupping or scalloping. The rear is starting to get squared off from some of highway I've been doing, but it looks like I could get another 3K out of it. I ride mostly solo and have pushed this tire hard and it's always inspired confidence. My next set will be more dualsport oriented, but I would buy again if I could find the same deal.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:04 PM

Well, just to thoroughly confuse you by recommending the only brand on your "potentials" list that hasn't already been mentioned, I've been happy with the Dunlop Roadsmarts. They have provided plenty of grip for the way I ride the Versys and last longer than I ever expected.

I have not yet tried the Roadsmart II but I probably will at the next change.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys, green

+1 on the Michelin PR 2 or 3. I've used one set of 2's and found them to work great. I stepped up to the 3's since I live and ride in nice wet weather.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 PM

My top choice for the price are Bridgestone BT023s (they don't do too bad in gravel either). Second choice are the PR2s or 3s, but they will cost more.

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

I'm impressed with my PR2s
Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvlatko View Post

I think the Michelin Road Pilot 3 is the best tire for your description. It is multi compound with a harder center compound and has the longest life and best grip of any tires I have tried including Bridgestone and Pirelli. Although it is pricey, if you include the lifespan I think it is as cheap or cheaper than than the Bridgestone BT-23 and Pirelli Angels
Old 12-19-2012, 11:21 AM

The only ones i could find are Conti RoadAttack 2 and Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 2.
I've heard many good thing about the Dunlop,so what do you think?
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire.../roadsmart-ii/
Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 PM

I'm halfway through my second set of RoadSmarts. You do have to break them in for the first 100 miles or so. Don't ask me how I know. I plan to try something else for my thirds set of replacement tires, later next year, maybe the PR 2, or PR 3?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 AM

I like my Conti Road Attacks 2s very much but once the rear squares off at
5K miles you have to get a new one because the handling gets squirrely.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM

I ordered Dunlop Roadsmart 2,payed half in advance and 2 weeks after they call me and said they made a mistake and brought Dunlop Q2 instead.
The price for the Roadsmart 2 is 300 eur and for the Q2 225 eur,so any thoughts?
My main concern is the tire lifespan,I am not doing a trackday or any aggressive riding,just commuting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement