Versys / Ninja 650 Interchangable? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

 

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Tgoods's Avatar
Tgoods Tgoods is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 180
Default Versys / Ninja 650 Interchangable?

Question for you Kawasaki experts out there: How much of the engine/electrical components are interchangable from the Versys to the Ninja 650? The reason I ask is because I have a Versys frame and wheels that I want to turn into a streetfighter. I'm wondering if I bought a crashed Ninja 650 could I take all the parts and put it into the Versys?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 PM
ttpete ttpete is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SE Mich.
Posts: 1,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgoods View Post
Question for you Kawasaki experts out there: How much of the engine/electrical components are interchangable from the Versys to the Ninja 650? The reason I ask is because I have a Versys frame and wheels that I want to turn into a streetfighter. I'm wondering if I bought a crashed Ninja 650 could I take all the parts and put it into the Versys?

Thanks.
PM jdrocks here. He's been doing mix and match with all of the variations. Check his posts here and on the ADVrider forum also.
__________________
10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Retro Rocketeer's Avatar
Retro Rocketeer Retro Rocketeer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 131
Default

I raced a Ninja 650R for two years. I used a Versys engine for spares. Engine wise, the only difference is the head height (lower compression), cams, ignition trigger. The heads are entirely swappable. I swapped heads and cams searching for different power curves. All the engine mounts are the same. You can do a direct swap from frame to frame. If you get the Power Commander V with ignition tune (same part # for Versys and Ninja), you can set ignition timing the same between the two engines with retard/advance.

If you are making a street fighter, I'd use the Versys head and cams and keep the lower RPM torque.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 AM
invader's Avatar
invader invader is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 5,851
Default

Versys head is different (more volume) for lower compression. Versys inlet and exhaust cam lobes have less duration and lift than the 650R's... Versys inlet camshaft is however identical to 650R's exhaust camshaft All other engine components are the same.

Ninja 650R/ER6:
Inlet- open 31 BTDC................Exhaust- open 50 BBDC
close 61 ABDC........................close 30 ATDC
duration 272..........................duration 260
cam height 36.6 +/- 0.057 mm... cam height 35.9 +/- 0.057 mm

Versys:
Inlet- open 25 BTDC................Exhaust- open 47 BBDC
close 54 ABDC........................close 25 ATDC
duration 260..........................duration 252
cam height 35.9 +/- 0.057 mm... cam height 35.4 +/- 0.057 mm

ECU is also mapped differently. Versys ignition timing ranges from 10 BTDC @ 1300 rpm, to 33 BTDC @ 5000+ rpm.
650R: From 10 BTDC @ 1300 rpm, to 35 BTDC @ 4800+ rpm.

Versys also has a crossover tube in exhaust header, before collector.

Cylinder base gasket is about 0.25 mm thick. Head gasket is a 3-layer steel, about 0.75 mm thick... You can remove the center layer of the head gasket, using copper head gasket sealer to seal the outer layers together. Such is BRP's prefered method, instead of removing base gasket which also lowers any wear ridge at top of stroke.

Gary "BRP"
http://www.blueridgeperformance.net/

"We do not use high compression pistons. JE (forged) pistons weigh more than stock (cast aluminum) pistons. Heavier parts move slower. We run stock pistons, with a milled head and cylinder. Depending on the track, we use different combos of Versys and 650R cams. (A cheap route, is to install a Versys intake cam in your 650R, and put the 650R intake cam in the exhaust.) We have billet cams ready to grind, but until we start getting some requests, they will stay in the unground form. Proper porting & compression nets the biggest gains.
Stock rods stretch a lot faster. Not a big problem, until you start getting over 75 hp. My engine builder is currently building some flat track engines. One is a 700cc, the other 750 using stock bore/rod length, with stroked crank and custom built pistons, with pin location moved. Those should be in the 90+ hp range."

Last edited by invader; 11-20-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Lours_Polaire's Avatar
Lours_Polaire Lours_Polaire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Way up north
Posts: 944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Versys head is different (more volume) for lower compression. Versys inlet and exhaust cam lobes have less duration and lift than the 650R's... Versys inlet camshaft is however identical to 650R's exhaust camshaft.

Ninja 650R/ER6:
Inlet- open 31 BTDC................Exhaust- open 50 BBDC
close 61 ABDC........................close 30 ATDC
duration 272..........................duration 260
cam height 36.6 +/- 0.057 mm... cam height 35.9 +/- 0.057 mm

Versys:
Inlet- open 25 BTDC................Exhaust- open 47 BBDC
close 54 ABDC........................close 25 ATDC
duration 260..........................duration 252
cam height 35.9 +/- 0.057 mm... cam height 35.4 +/- 0.057 mm

ECU is also mapped differently. Versys ignition timing ranges from 10 BTDC @ 1300 rpm, to 33 BTDC @ 5000+ rpm.
ER-6: From 10 BTDC @ 1300 rpm, to 35 BTDC @ 4800+ rpm.

Versys also has a crossover tube in exhaust header, before collector.

Cylinder base gasket is about 0.25 mm thick. Head gasket is a 3-layer steel, about 0.75 mm thick... You can remove the center layer of the head gasket, using copper head gasket sealer to seal the outer layers together. Such is BRP's prefered method, instead of removing base gasket, alrhough lowering the cylinder also lowers any wear ridge at top of stroke.

Gary "BRP"
http://www.blueridgeperformance.net/

"We do not use high compression pistons. JE pistons weigh more than stock. Heavier parts move slower. We run stock pistons, with a milled head and cylinder. Depending on the track, we use different combos of Versys and 650R cams. (A cheap route, is to install a Versys intake cam in your 650R, and put the 650R intake cam in the exhaust.) We have billet cams ready to grind, but until we start getting some requests, they will stay in the unground form. Proper porting & compression nets the biggest gains.
Stock rods stretch a lot faster. Not a big problem, until you start getting over 75 hp. My engine builder is currently building some flat track engines. One is a 700cc, the other 750 using stock bore/rod length, with stroked crank and custom built pistons, with pin location moved. Those should be in the 90+ hp range."

Good info Invader !!!

LOP
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 AM
goat12's Avatar
goat12 goat12 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Good info Invader !!!

LOP
About time Invader posted something useful on here!

Seriously, though- you're the man, Invader. Good info.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Tgoods's Avatar
Tgoods Tgoods is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Rocketeer View Post
I raced a Ninja 650R for two years. I used a Versys engine for spares. Engine wise, the only difference is the head height (lower compression), cams, ignition trigger. The heads are entirely swappable. I swapped heads and cams searching for different power curves. All the engine mounts are the same. You can do a direct swap from frame to frame. If you get the Power Commander V with ignition tune (same part # for Versys and Ninja), you can set ignition timing the same between the two engines with retard/advance.

If you are making a street fighter, I'd use the Versys head and cams and keep the lower RPM torque.
How did your 650r stack up against the sv650's out there?

So is the airbox on the Versys the same as the 650r too?
__________________
Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Retro Rocketeer's Avatar
Retro Rocketeer Retro Rocketeer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 131
Default

It did well enough to take two championships. I ported my head, milled the cylinder and head some. I ran the Versys intake cams and Ninja exhaust cams in different degrees and combinations. I had great midrange acceleration. Ultimately, its still easier to build an SV motor than an EX motor. There's just a lot more R&D in the SV. I chose the Ninja because I liked the chassis setup. The balance and distribution suited my riding style and preferences. I also got a smokin' deal on it, which never hurts. The Versys/Ninja motor's biggest weakness are the connecting rods. You need new rods at the end of every season if you don't want to buy aftermart race rods. The other huge weakness is the radiator. On the Ninja, its barely good enough for track day speeds, let alone higher compressions, and racing. I had an oversized rad built for racing.

The airboxes are the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8948[1].jpg
Views:	159
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	16240   Click image for larger version

Name:	MoM_11_1_1620[1].jpg
Views:	171
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	16241   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08126.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	16242  
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 AM
trialsguy trialsguy is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Rocketeer View Post
It did well enough to take two championships. I ported my head, milled the cylinder and head some. I ran the Versys intake cams and Ninja exhaust cams in different degrees and combinations. I had great midrange acceleration. Ultimately, its still easier to build an SV motor than an EX motor. There's just a lot more R&D in the SV. I chose the Ninja because I liked the chassis setup. The balance and distribution suited my riding style and preferences. I also got a smokin' deal on it, which never hurts. The Versys/Ninja motor's biggest weakness are the connecting rods. You need new rods at the end of every season if you don't want to buy aftermart race rods. The other huge weakness is the radiator. On the Ninja, its barely good enough for track day speeds, let alone higher compressions, and racing. I had an oversized rad built for racing.

The airboxes are the same.
Very nice! Which forks and brakes do you have on it?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Baron650's Avatar
Baron650 Baron650 is offline
Member
 
2009 Kawasaki '09.5 Blue
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 890
Default

One of the things that attracted me to the Versys was the multi-platform approach. It should mean good parts availability (and cheaper parts) for a long time.
To the OP; sounds like you can stuff an engine from a crashed Ninja (maybe a 2012, better mid-range than the earlier ones) into your rolling chassis. Say, how did you end up with a Versys frame and wheels with no engine?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Retro Rocketeer's Avatar
Retro Rocketeer Retro Rocketeer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 131
Default

The front wheel and discs are 08 EX650R. Forks and brakes are 06 ZX6R mounted in 04 ZX6R triples. In current form, it weighs 372lbs with 1.5gal in the tank. Unfortunately, I suffered a severe crash at the end of my last season and opted to sell the bike. I wanted to install a Versys swingarm eventually, but was always a day late on bidding. I sold the bike to a friend, so I still have access to it. I like building bikes as much as racing them. I'm trying to free up some time to make me a cheater Versys of my 2008 V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FairingsOffLft.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	16243   Click image for larger version

Name:	FairingsOffRt.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	16244   Click image for larger version

Name:	WERA_MoM_2011_5969.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	16245  
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Tgoods's Avatar
Tgoods Tgoods is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
One of the things that attracted me to the Versys was the multi-platform approach. It should mean good parts availability (and cheaper parts) for a long time.
To the OP; sounds like you can stuff an engine from a crashed Ninja (maybe a 2012, better mid-range than the earlier ones) into your rolling chassis. Say, how did you end up with a Versys frame and wheels with no engine?
I bought a Versys frame and wheels from KLRsys. He bought a Versys and then put the engine in a KLR.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
__________________
Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Tgoods's Avatar
Tgoods Tgoods is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Rocketeer View Post
The front wheel and discs are 08 EX650R. Forks and brakes are 06 ZX6R mounted in 04 ZX6R triples. In current form, it weighs 372lbs with 1.5gal in the tank. Unfortunately, I suffered a severe crash at the end of my last season and opted to sell the bike. I wanted to install a Versys swingarm eventually, but was always a day late on bidding. I sold the bike to a friend, so I still have access to it. I like building bikes as much as racing them. I'm trying to free up some time to make me a cheater Versys of my 2008 V.
Okay I am looking at that air scoop above the radiator... Is that stock on the 650r?

I also noticed your radiator is pretty beat up. Does that affect the performance at all? I have a radiator guard on my sv650. Not sure if it was really worth the $75 bucks haha.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
__________________
Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 AM
invader's Avatar
invader invader is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 5,851
Default

That's a home made air collector for the airbox inlet(s)... Radiator is ok. It's just bare and a bit stained.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Retro Rocketeer's Avatar
Retro Rocketeer Retro Rocketeer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 131
Default

The scoop gets a lot of attention.

Invader is correct. (Did you follow my antics on BRP's site?) The air scoop feeds air into the airbox via two ducting tubes. I lowered the radiator a little to accomodate it. No, its not RAM, but rather a way to direct cold air from above the radiator, rather than hot air from behind the radiator and off the top of the engine. Was it beneficial? Yes, of course. Most always is.

The radiator isn't as perfect as the day it was born off an FZR600, but cosmetics were the least of my priorities regarding the performance of the radiator. It was straight and flowed as it should. Mounts were welded on and the bottom inlet was relocated. The motor went from operating in the boil over zone to normal and acceptable operating temps.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Tgoods's Avatar
Tgoods Tgoods is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Rocketeer View Post
The scoop gets a lot of attention.

Invader is correct. (Did you follow my antics on BRP's site?) The air scoop feeds air into the airbox via two ducting tubes. I lowered the radiator a little to accomodate it. No, its not RAM, but rather a way to direct cold air from above the radiator, rather than hot air from behind the radiator and off the top of the engine. Was it beneficial? Yes, of course. Most always is.

The radiator isn't as perfect as the day it was born off an FZR600, but cosmetics were the least of my priorities regarding the performance of the radiator. It was straight and flowed as it should. Mounts were welded on and the bottom inlet was relocated. The motor went from operating in the boil over zone to normal and acceptable operating temps.
Sweet bike! Sorry to hear you crashed it. I am anxious for racing season to be here.
__________________
Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Retro Rocketeer's Avatar
Retro Rocketeer Retro Rocketeer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 131
Default

The crash was easier on the bike than me. $70.00 and it was fixed back up to pre-crash condition. The rider (me) unfortunately was not. I messed up my left shoulder pretty good. Its taken a year, but I'm almost to pre-crash physical condition. I still enjoy track riding, but the incident took a lot out of my racing motivation for the time being.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xray1Neg.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	16317  
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 PM
twowheels's Avatar
twowheels twowheels is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,342
Default

The advertising info for the 2012 Ninja says they modified the engine for more torque. I believe but an not 100% certain they just stuck the Versys engine in it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 PM
invader's Avatar
invader invader is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 5,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The advertising info for the 2012 Ninja says they modified the engine for more torque. I believe but an not 100% certain they just stuck the Versys engine in it.
No... It's only the ECU's low-mid range fue/ignitionl map that was slightly improved. It now has a bit less peak torque (maybe), but the same peak power and rpm.

"The 2012 engine offers more low-mid range torque for more fun and greater usability in everyday riding situations, while maintaining the smooth, high-revving character of its predecessor."

2011: Maximum Power 53 kW {72.1 PS} @ 8,500 rpm
Maximum Torque 66 N.m {6.7 kgf.m} @ 7,000 rpm

2012: Maximum Power 53 kW {72.1 PS} / 8,500 rpm
Maximum Torque 64 N.m {6.5 kgf.m} / 7,000 rpm

Last edited by invader; 12-01-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Baron650's Avatar
Baron650 Baron650 is offline
Member
 
2009 Kawasaki '09.5 Blue
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 890
Default

They also added the crossover pipe.


While it doesn't boost peak torque, it does help add punch to the mid-range.

Last edited by Baron650; 12-02-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisements
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum