130/80 shinko 705 review - Need to change front tire... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Performance

Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

Old 11-14-2012, 01:31 PM

Kawasaki Versys
Default 130/80 shinko 705 review - Need to change front tire...

So a couple months ago, I raised the front fender and I put shinko 705's on the versys. 130/80 on the front to be exact.

So here is my problem, I want a more front tire "esque" tire on the front. The 130/80 shinko is too mushroom shaped. Meaning it has a broad curve and then the tread just ends suddenly. I understand that making this change on my versys means that I wont be able to scrape pegs anymore but I am not okay with the uneasy feeling of running out of tread in the front.
This has happened to me several times, to the point of where I almost had a couple lowsides.

I do think the shinko 705's are a good tire for the vstrom and the klr (and other "dual sporty" bikes) but I do not think they belong on anything like the Versys. Our bikes have too much grunt and it is way too easy to spin the rear, ESPECIALLY when the road is wet.

And here is my question, what are the pro's and con's of going for the 120/90 size? (invader, i am looking at you) I am looking at the Heidenau K60 scout FRONT tire in the 120/90 size and am hoping that it is much more of a curved convex shape (like a typical front tire) then the boxxy 130/80 front/rear from shinko.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/h...out-front-tire
I know that the 120/90 is a tube type tire, which doesn't bother me. But i do remember reading that they are not designed to be mounted on our 3in wide front rim. I want to know what the dangers are to take that chance. I understood that putting the more dirt oriented tires on, came with "dangers" in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM

Here's another option if you want to keep the stock dimensions
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...&postcount=112
Old 11-14-2012, 06:15 PM

Kawasaki Versys

no, i want to stay with the larger front
Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 AM

Did you go with the 120/90-17? Anybody else have an opinion?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:30 AM

2009 Kawasaki '09.5 Blue

Old 11-24-2012, 02:41 PM

Kawasaki Versys

Versystole, I chatted with Burnedstar on this forum and he had the exact same predicament, he also switched to the heideneu k60 front tire 120/90...

so that is the way I will go as soon as the funds become available
Old 11-24-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
Versystole, I chatted with Burnedstar on this forum and he had the exact same predicament, he also switched to the heideneu k60 front tire 120/90...

so that is the way I will go as soon as the funds become available
I think I'll give it a shot, too. Revzilla has it for $107 shipped, which seems pretty reasonable.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:47 PM

A buddy of mine has K60's on his KLR and says the front does grip near as well on gravel as 705's or other deep-tread knobbies. Just fyi...

Two Weeks in the West | Palo Duro | One Week Denver Loop
2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 AM

My main concern is running a tube tire tubeless on the front. Not putting a tube in a tubeless tire means if you get a nail or something you're going to loose air incredibly fast. If you were doing this on the rear, not as big of a deal as it's easier to control a bike with a flat rear tire. A flat on the front? That's not something I've ever experienced. When I do get a flat front tire, I want that air to escape as slowly as possible to give me time to get the bike stopped under control.

With your lowside issues on the 130/80, do you hang off the bike much? I enjoy riding aggressively in tight twisties, but don't like wearing the tires all the way to the edge cause then I don't have any safety margin. This means I like to get off the bike a bit. (no, not enough for sliders!)

Oh, and for what it's worth... Met a GS rider at an open house over the weekend running K60s. He said they were miserable on pavement and not much better on the dirt. He couldn't wait to wear them out.

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM

Kawasaki Versys

my shinkos are alright, except when you are on the pavement and it is even the slightest bit wet.... they spin and slide like there was oil on the ground (okay thats a slight exaggeration), but yea, they slip.

The only thing negative I have heard about the K60s is that they hum at highway speeds. I am excited to try the 120/90 tire (probably with some slime in it) regardless of what brand.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 AM

One of our local shops stocks a lot of tires, I was able to compare the 120/90 to the 130/80. There is a significant difference in profile! More than I was expecting. The 120/90 definitely looks far more front-tire-ish, if that makes sense.

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 PM

That is odd that you are having problems with spinning up the rear using 705's. I have run 6k miles with them on my 950 Adventure and have been quite pleased. Both panniers actually have melted corners from dragging them through the Dragon. They have been pretty decent in the rain as well, although not as good as sport touring tires. I guess the rear just must not work well as a front, maybe it doesn't have enough load to really warm up? I have also been running 25psi front and 28 rear, which seems pretty good with 19" and 17" tires. Any more than 28 front and 30 rear they feel pretty nasty. Have you tried out lower pressures?

Last edited by kswaid; 12-14-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:27 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash View Post
One of our local shops stocks a lot of tires, I was able to compare the 120/90 to the 130/80. There is a significant difference in profile! More than I was expecting. The 120/90 definitely looks far more front-tire-ish, if that makes sense.
I had both 120/90-17 and 130/80-17 on the back of my KLR, and there is a distinct difference in handling. The bike didn't turn as well with the 130/80 on the back, which I attributed to the profile of the tire. The stock tire size for the KLR C-model is 120/90, and the bike just handled better using that size. I can only imagine that the effect would be more pronounced on the front.

Just my $0.02,
Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 07:30 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
my shinkos are alright, except when you are on the pavement and it is even the slightest bit wet.... they spin and slide like there was oil on the ground (okay thats a slight exaggeration), but yea, they slip.
Really? I had them on the KLR, and they stuck to the road like glue. I rode them through thunderstorms and had no issues with them. That may be a testament to the additional power the Versys puts out compared to the KLR.

Dave
Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 AM

So, you guys running the 705 in 120/90 are running tubeless, or are you putting a tube in your cast wheel? Any issues with our 3" front wheel?

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
Old 12-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
So, you guys running the 705 in 120/90 are running tubeless, or are you putting a tube in your cast wheel? Any issues with our 3" front wheel?
I'm interested in the answer to this too, just got mine. I have to say, it's pretty "square" out of the box... Is 70mm enough to raise the fender to use this tire on the front?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Kawasaki Versys

ok, i am def going to get a 120/90 for the front... and i will either run some tubeless sealant in it, or a tube...either is far better then the boxxy feeling of the 130/80

to DaveC... yea i run the same shinko 705's on my KLR and it is fine, and the Vstroms the wife and I rode around the rockys had shinkos too (http://lightscameraadventure.blogspot.com/), but the versys has enough kick to make the rear spin if I am on a painted line, a metal manhole, or anything slightly different from pavement.

Kswaid, you might have a point on the pressure... I run 35front 40 rear, while on the road... maybe I should bring it down to 30/35 and see if that is better.

luckily for me, the 130/80 tire that i am using for my versys front tire, is the same size as the rear for my wife's KLR....so I will not be wasting a tire
Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash View Post
...Not putting a tube in a tubeless tire means if you get a nail or something you're going to loose air incredibly fast....
I don't understand your post.

IF you take a nail into a tube it'll go INSTANTLY flat. Most of the time, a nail into a tubeless and you won't even know it's there for quite awhile....

(I have NO experience running a tube-type tire tubeless.)

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 PM

So, I put a set of 705's on a few days ago. 130/80 in the front. I raised the front fender 35mm with a crappy custom bracket - doing only 35mm allowed me to keep the stock brake line (crossover section). When I get a chance, I'll put on stainless brake lines and raise the fender another 35mm.

But, for the tires themselves...

I've put on about 300 miles so far, about 70 or so on dirt roads. Some fast hard dirt (50 mph stuff), some loose gravel but nothing too tricky. The 705 really did well out there, as well it should. After they were scrubbed in a bit, they felt pretty good on pavement, too. There's a bit more road noise, of course, but nothing I'd consider bad. They do turn in a little harder than the front Distancia I took off. It could be due to the geometry change associated with the slightly taller tire (causing more trail and rake - right??) or tire profile, or both. Whatever the cause, it doesn't bother me a nit - just need to be aware of it.

Now, we'll see how they wear. I'll post back when they need replacing (if I remember).

Cheers, Jeff

Oh, and I talked to a fellow Versys rider who's be using tube-type tires on his V without tubes. No problems. (mine are tubeless, just adding this because I and others were curious about this point...)

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 PM

Hey Jeff, so the 35mm raise on the front fender isn't enough?

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement