Thoughts on Honda's new CB500x - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion

Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGunslingerx View Post
My wife currently has expressed no interested in riding with me as a pillion. Just curious. What is the 2 up ability of the Versys or Ninja 650?
To a certain degree, that may depend on your wife. My wife is just under 5ft tall and weighs all of about 95 pounds. For us, the Versys is perfect. We both have plenty of room to move around,yet she feels secure enough and not like she is a mile away from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGunslingerx View Post
...Don't hate me for drooling over a HD!
Check out the Sportster XR1200S....

Drool away!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 11-22-2012, 06:51 AM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone1 View Post
To a certain degree, that may depend on your wife. My wife is just under 5ft tall and weighs all of about 95 pounds. For us, the Versys is perfect. We both have plenty of room to move around,yet she feels secure enough and not like she is a mile away from me.
+1

I ride with my 11 year old daughter with a Givi top box backrest. Works great for us! My wife rides her own motorcycle but I have carried adult passengers (around 150 pounds) with no problems. The Versys has a sport bike seat so it is relatively small and hard so the longer distances become harder for the passenger. I have taken a friend with us on a ride about 5 hours round trip and her azz was tired and sore but she said the fun was worth it. The bike performs flawlessly with the added weight. I can feel the added weight (with an adult ~150 pounds) both in power and handling but I get used to the difference in a few minutes. I do not feel any difference with my 85 pound daughter at all. If your passenger is a little on the large size, they may feel cramped.

In summary, the size of the passenger and the length of ride make a difference in the overall comfort.

For a reference in this photo, I am 5'8" tall, 30" inseam, 158 pounds. My daugher is 4'7" and 85 pounds.

Versys Owners/Riders Map Here.

Add your name and see who's near you!

Old 11-22-2012, 07:06 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

OP, you sound like a prime candidate for a WeeStrom.

My first bike was an EX500. I had it for 16 months, then bought a Versys. I rode that Ninja everywhere, including a solo 2,400-mile camping trip from D.C. to South Florida via the Blue Ridge Parkway. It handled the load and distance like a champ.

Anyway ... the Honda 500s and WeeStrom would work for you.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:41 PM

Probably a better chance of getting a deal on the wee strom since it can be purchased pre owned. It is a special kind of ugly though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 PM

I had tried a friend's V-Strom 650 before I got my Versys. It's big, heavy, uninspiring, and not very powerful. Versys also has better suspensions, and can be ridden much harder off-road.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 PM

I'm starting to think that a two bike system will be best. A smaller, commuting, fun bike for me for the next couple of years to get more experience. Then get a larger touring bike that offers some real comfort for my wife. Honestly I don't think she will by into riding unless there are creature comforts for her.

I have 2 uncles with Goldwings. Perhaps after I get a bit more experience I can take a test ride and see what a bigger bike is like. There is a Victory Demo ride coming up in town next month. I'm thinking of dropping by to ride some bikes. I really have no experience on any bike other than the 250 cruiser in the MSF class and my ninja 500. Because of this, I really can't even decide for sure the type of bike I want.

The biggest turnoff for some of the cruiser type bikes are the lower seat height (as it affects visibility), but mainly it's the crowd I see riding them. I personally love some of the HD's(Nightster, Switchback), but don't want to be "in the HD crowd". I'm not much for the pirate costume. I will eventually just ride what I like, just gotta find out what that is.

Victory seems to have some mechanical advantages to the HDs. But that sound isn't there. When I sat on the bikes in the showroom, even the very large touring bikes felt very light. Must be a very low center of gravity. When I have sat on larger HD bikes at the dealership they felt much heavier.

Truthfully, it may be a couple to several years(read:whenever my wife gets on board) before I get a touring bike anyways. At this point I'll keep the focus on the smaller "for me" bike.

Versys is still my favorite. Only disadvantage is lack of ABS. I may just get over ABS. We'll see. Then again, maybe it will be available by the time I buy.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 PM

Another thought is that it's a shame Honda no longer makes the NT700V. This bike has a great mix of everything. ABS, storage, passenger capability, agility, Fuel Injection, etc.

After looking, it does appear that there is some availability on this bike. Non local, but there are some.

Last edited by xGunslingerx; 11-24-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM

If overall you are happy with your Ninja 500, I would just add some handlebar risers and maybe some Givi luggage. In the future when you do decide to move up to a larger bike, you can take both the risers and the bags with you. You'll have to buy new mounts for the bags, though.

Even 1" handlebar risers can make a big difference.

Good luck,
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

The CB500X is an interesting bike. After all this time, Honda still hasn't provided an official US release date, although it is expected sometime this summer.

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...iew/22704.html

Most of the reviews I've seen have been fairly positive. Riding position is very similar to NC700X. Main difference is the engine. The NC700X engine is geared for plenty of low-end torque and low redline. On the other hand, the CB500 engine is fairly gutless down low, so you need to wind it out to make it go. In the end, it's a personal preference thing. Get the one that makes you tick. For mostly hwy riding, I think I'd prefer the NC700 engine as it runs significantly lower RPMs, so it may be less tiring after a while.

Also, the CB500X seat is about 1" lower than NC700X. Finally, the ability to get manual ABS version of CB500X is nice, too.

This guy compared the two...

Last edited by Pete_; 06-19-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:59 PM

It's funny that I saw this post, I sat on a 500 today. I didn't notice if it had ABS or not. It was priced at $5999. I was not familiar with the bike, but it looked good and felt good sitting on it I also sat on the 700, I don't think that I would trade my Versys. The 700 was around $7000.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:52 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Personally both Hondas lack any excitement, cyclenews on the 700 said its like driving a truck, and 500cc as sai earlier is not something I would take on long highway type rides.

Just remember what you think is best, is the best, to you!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 07-12-2013, 11:52 AM

I saw one at the dealer yesterday. It appears to be a nice bike and I was comfortable sitting on it (511, 32 inseam). Taller than the 500F. One turn-off is the finish which is a black satin- which cannot be waxed according to the salesperson. Im not sure how that finish would hold up in the S FL sun over time. Since I tend to keep bikes for a long time, that is be a deal breaker for me. Maybe they will add some other colors/finish soon. Good price though- $5999/$6499 w/ABS.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:43 AM

I'm guessing the sales rep is misinformed. I'm sure it's the same matte black Honda has used on other bikes, such as the 919. I'm pretty sure it still has the clear coat on top and can be waxed. I haven't seen the bike in person, so I'm just surmising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement