Second rear puncture on Pilot Road 3 this summer - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM

Default Second rear puncture on Pilot Road 3 this summer

Hi All,

Came out this morning to see the hex head of a screw or bolt in the rear Michelin Pilot Road 3 -Possibly m6 or m8. Well worn down too. (I have bought a Doran TP sensor now)

Same thing happened last month on my previous rear Pilot Road 3 too. I ride the streets of SF and park in garages. I don't go down alleys. This happened last Sunday as I did a full tire check Sunday morning.

So am I just super unlucky or is there a better tire for me? I am all around rider and bought PR3 for the wet weather.

Are those soft MT80s any good for me. I don't care about quick wearing any more....I'm getting very little mileage right now.

I also ride a GTS300 Vespa in the city and have never had a puncture in almost 3 years. Same roads.

Any comments welcome,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 PM

John - sorry for your sh*tty luck (or LACK of luck!). Maybe add a scan of the road surface ahead in your riding "scan".

I try to watch for and avoid debris, ANY debris, when I ride.

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 11-16-2012, 01:26 AM

Thanks Ed, I'll make sure to act on your advice. I will get a new PR3 again, since I like the tire. On the bright side , it is an opportunity to add the tire pressure sensor.

Best of luck ;-)
John
Old 11-16-2012, 07:38 AM

I just bought my first set of P3s for the Concours. The first thing I noticed about these tires is that the carcass is very flimsy compared to other tires I have used on my bikes. We will see if they are worth double the price of Shinkos. I have been averaging well over 20,000 miles a year and may hit 30,000 miles this year. Seems like I am constantly changing tires.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 AM

http://www.rhinotire.com/

This might interest you.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I just bought my first set of P3s for the Concours. The first thing I noticed about these tires is that the carcass is very flimsy compared to other tires I have used on my bikes. We will see if they are worth double the price of Shinkos. I have been averaging well over 20,000 miles a year and may hit 30,000 miles this year. Seems like I am constantly changing tires.
Did you consider Roadtec Z8 Interact ?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM

No tire is going to stop this from happening, sorry to say. I lost a Scorpion Sync with less than 300 mile due to a gutter spike. Sometime you just have hard luck.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 AM

Is there a reason you wouldn't patch the tire and keep using it (plenty of people do), or was it too badly damaged to patch?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
No tire is going to stop this from happening, sorry to say. I lost a Scorpion Sync with less than 300 mile due to a gutter spike. Sometime you just have hard luck.
http://www.rhinotire.com/

If I was planning a trip down to Mexico or any very long trip, I'd get my tires from rhinotire. The best part is you can pretty much pick whatever normal tire you prefer and have them treated. Tires won't resist a grenade explosion, but it will protect you against at least 90% of things that could cause you a flat tire.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 AM

2009 Kawasaki '09.5 Blue

Staying in the tire tracks of the cars will help prevent punctures.
Also, on a tire that is new and in good condition I consider a shop-placed permanent repair to be an option.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Talking

I don't think the screw knew if it was a PR3 or Dunlap.
I will dismount the tire, make an internal repair so I have it done right and SEE the inside of the tire. I have driven home on plugs many times. Then its a proper repair from inside. Once the tire carcass was ruined from a bent piece of wire. If I just plugged the tire, It would have gone flat in no time. I had to throw that tire out after 1200 miles.

That was the original Dunlap that came on the bike. That day I could only find a tire at the dealer I bought the bike and the replacement was OEM Dunlap.

I ran that one for 5,000 miles and replaced it with a PR3 which is worn after 6,000 miles. It will get another PR3.

David
Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 PM

Thanks guys. Put on a new PR3. Will watch for debris now. Rode home in heavy rain last night and it worked great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement