Sluggish power output - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 AM

Default Sluggish power output

Hi all,

Needing some help/advice here, please.

My mk2 V is running "sluggish" recently, more noticeable at low rpms... Try to explain, sorry for my language restrictions.

Say I'm cruising at medium speed (60 mph), applying more throttle the power output is not linear... No misfires but it's somewhat more "bumpy" and (I think) less power output ... Feels like running a tractor, really ... The whole bike vibrates more, if I touch the gear shift lever with my foot when accelerating, it's really vibrating.

I recently stopped using cheaper gasoline, changed to a cleaner one and did 2 tanks with injector cleaner... So this happens now, when it was supposed to be running better

Bike has 23K miles, new plugs (OEM's) and air filter cleaned about 6K miles ago.

Considering the bike's behavior my first thought was "throttle body sync", but maybe someone has a better idea/advice... Before I tear half the bike apart to reach in there, that is

Thanks for you help.

Cheers

Last edited by Daedalus62; 10-23-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 AM

mk2? How was it running before you changed gasoline quality? What kind of injector cleaner and how much of it was mixed with how much gasoline? What's the gas octane level? How are your chain and sprockets?

Last edited by invader; 10-23-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 AM

If you do go digging around maybe check to see if the air filter was oiled way too much by mistake?

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
mk2? How was it running before you changed gasoline quality? What kind of injector cleaner and how much of it was mixed with how much gasoline? What's the gas octane level? How are your chain and sprockets?
Hi invader,

- mk2 = 2010 model

- Running fine before I changed gasoline. And I did 4 or 5 tanks with the new gasoline, before this issue came up.

- Did 2 tanks with STP Injector Cleaner when I changed gasoline. I added, as I recall, 80ml to each full tank. Following the instructions, I think this is (about) the right amount.

- Sorry, wasn't too specific on the gasoline scenario... Here in Portugal (all over Europe?) we only have 2 types of gasoline, 95 and 98 octane... We have the normal and the low-cost gas stations that sell both. As I understand (could be wrong), normal or low-cost the gasoline is the same (in quality, not in octanes), the difference is in the additives they add to the gasoline (or not) in each gas station... I was running on low-cost 95, changed to normal 95.

- Chain and sprockets seem fine, but maybe it's time to change!?... 23K miles on them already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
If you do go digging around maybe check to see if the air filter was oiled way too much by mistake?
Hi Zatx,

Good point there ... I did the air filter clean/oil myself (changed the plugs at the same time also) and that could be the cause of the problem... But this was done 6K miles ago, wouldn't the problem manifest itself immediately after the air filter clean/oil?... I really don't know...

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

Last edited by Daedalus62; 10-23-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

Just on oiling air cleaner, I may of over oiled mine as fuel economy down, maybe a dumb question but how much oil should you use or how do you tell?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Just on oiling air cleaner, I may of over oiled mine as fuel economy down, maybe a dumb question but how much oil should you use or how do you tell?
Hi kiwi 41,

Don't really know if there's a correct procedure to the amount of oil in the air filter... I just wash it, soak it up real good with the correct oil and leave it aside to drip the excess... Once it's not dripping any more, it's good to go.

Cheers
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus62 View Post
Hi kiwi 41,

Don't really know if there's a correct procedure to the amount of oil in the air filter... I just wash it, soak it up real good with the correct oil and leave it aside to drip the excess... Once it's not dripping any more, it's good to go.

Cheers
Thats what I done apart from the fact I did not wait to long from the dripping stage, thinking about getting a 2nd filter as to have one already when I clean the filter.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Thats what I done apart from the fact I did not wait to long from the dripping stage, thinking about getting a 2nd filter as to have one already when I clean the filter.
Thinking better now, I guess this won't be an issue... I think (not sure) the air filter "box" as an drain hose, any excess oil will eventually drip and drain to the ground.

Cheers
Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys

Quote:
Thinking better now, I guess this won't be an issue... I think (not sure) the air filter "box" as an drain hose, any excess oil will eventually drip and drain to the ground.

Cheers
It does have a oil drain line, has from my memory a plug in end of the line (at work at moment)
Old 10-23-2012, 10:22 AM

The service manual suggests putting oil on a rag then use the rag to "rub/dab" the oil onto the filter element. I think "soaking" the filter element with oil is putting too much oil on the filter. That might well be causing the fuel-air mixture to be too rich. Also puts oil on the spark plugs.

I would re-check everything you did earlier, especially the spark plugs to get a reading on fuel mixture. You'll also get information on how well your V is burning the fuel you're using. If nothing is found, then re-synch the intake throttle bodies.

In all cases, I would also use best-quality fuel available.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:42 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys

Drain line from air box for excess oil.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Hi kiwi 41,

Cheers
I didn't think it could be the cause from 6,000 miles ago, but that is way too much oil for the air filter. Any extra oil should be absorbed as much as possible with towel. It should certainly not be soaked and dripping at all. Air filter oil in spray can is easy to use. A light application is then worked it by hand, then soak up excess by squishing it in a towel.
After 6,000 miles, air filter may well be clogged up with dirt besides the extra oil. It should be cleaned and properly oiled again. What kind of air filter oil do you use?

The shown airbox drain tube can collect any water or aerated oil from crankcase vent. The plug lets you see what was collected and prevents dirt ingestion, but it should normally be empty.

Last edited by invader; 10-23-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:11 AM

Thanks for that, invader... Always learning ... I used Motul Air Filter Oil Spray, btw.

I'll pursue that... Also what I gather seems to be the major culprit on the bikes irregular/vibrating rolling, the much-past-its-useful-life chain/sprockets set.

The chain seems OK but I haven't really checked the set in detail, especially the front sprocket... With 23K miles, the set must be completely shot... Time for a new one.

Thanks to all, for the useful inputs.

Cheers
Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 AM

Actually, you don't have to absorb the excess if you don't spray on too much oil and work it all in by squishing it around by hand.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Needing some help/advice here, please.

My mk2 V is running "sluggish" recently, more noticeable at low rpms... Try to explain, sorry for my language restrictions.

Say I'm cruising at medium speed (60 mph), applying more throttle the power output is not linear... No misfires but it's somewhat more "bumpy" and (I think) less power output ... Feels like running a tractor, really ... The whole bike vibrates more, if I touch the gear shift lever with my foot when accelerating, it's really vibrating.

I recently stopped using cheaper gasoline, changed to a cleaner one and did 2 tanks with injector cleaner... So this happens now, when it was supposed to be running better

Bike has 23K miles, new plugs (OEM's) and air filter cleaned about 6K miles ago.

Considering the bike's behavior my first thought was "throttle body sync", but maybe someone has a better idea/advice... Before I tear half the bike apart to reach in there, that is

Thanks for you help.

Cheers
- change the spark plugs (check your manual but this needs to be done frequently and if you have been using bad gas they may be fouled)
- clean the air filter
- do a throttle body sync - this will also reduce vibration - suggest buying a sync tool

Last edited by twowheels; 10-24-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:44 PM

Default valve adjustment

is it time for a valve adjustment? remember after adjusting valves you need to sync throttle bodies, since the valve adjustment alters stuff again.

Tight valves would cause a lean-running condition...

do the plugs "look" to be the right "color"?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:46 AM

Could be a grabbing brake, rear for instance ...
The longer you ride, more intense the braking effect due to heat build up

My 2 cents

LOP
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 AM

Hi all,

Just to add some feedback on this and to thank all the inputs.

So, I finally swamped the whole transmission... I bought the D.I.D set for the V (sprockets + chain), replacing the supplied front sprocket with the Kawa 16 tooth, part n. 13144-0038... I had a 3 weeks(!!) wait on this last one...

Problem solved... All the nasty vibrations are gone, a whole different bike!!!

On close inspection of the previous set, it showed no visible signs of substantial/abnormal wear (sorry no photos), although the shop mechanic told me he noticed the chain was somewhat stretched, due to wear... No wonder, with 23K miles on it...

My lack of knowledge/experience first led me to blame something in the engine...

Thanks for the photo, kiwi 41... Checked my air box drain tube and it was dry...

Again thanks to all for your inputs!!!

Cheers

Last edited by Daedalus62; 11-19-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 AM

Swamped the whole transmission? You mean your final drive (drive chain and sprockets). I suspected so, as noted in my first reply.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 AM

Right... Just the final drive (sprockets and chain)

Thanks invader

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement