12-21-2012 End of the World as we know it!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Off Topic Discussions

Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Default 12-21-2012 End of the World as we know it!!

Just wanted to put out an off topic thread so we can report the different stuff going on! This thread is no to put anyone down and Preppers are welcome! Think its all BS, you are welcome too!

I wanted to report that I was shocked to get a flyer from Costco selling food stores that last 20+ years. Told a friend about it and she said her neighbor and friend bought $3,000 dollars worth! He said it would last them for three years!

We are at a 38 day count down from 12-21-2012!

The Versys should run fine through any solar flare up's!
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 AM

I've got friends with stuff left over from Y2K
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
I've got friends with stuff left over from Y2K
I forgot about Y2K! That was a big bust! Alot of people thought the computors would all go down and take the world with it!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I've got 500 one acre plots ready to sell for $1000 each of ocean view property in Phoenix Arizona. Please PM your credit card info.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the reminder, I'll make sure I stock on beer
Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

The local dollar store was selling $40-$60 Y2K computer books for a $1 a few years ago. They had a big bin of them.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:44 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Wonder if I can get a million dollars on a 90-day loan????
Dan
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM

I am thinking about an "end of the world as we know" BBQ. Steaks, shrimp- the works! Have some fun with it and have some friends over.

Having said that- I am a firm believer in being prepared for natural, or unnatural, disasters. One only needs to look to the east coast right now to clue in on how important that at least some preperation could help. I personally don't want to be at the mercy of the FEMA for my first meal in three days.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
...I wanted to report that I was shocked to get a flyer from Costco selling food stores that last 20+ years. Told a friend about it and she said her neighbor and friend bought $3,000 dollars worth! He said it would last them for three years!

We are at a 38 day count down from 12-21-2012!
Just a SMALL question: IF the world's gonna end on the 21st...

what the hell good will $3,000 worth of food do ya, then?

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdaddy View Post
I am a firm believer in being prepared for natural, or unnatural, disasters. One only needs to look to the east coast right now to clue in on how important that at least some preperation could help. I personally don't want to be at the mercy of the FEMA for my first meal in three days.
I am not a "prepper" in any way other than the Boy Scout way. I would like some easily preserved food (and more importantly water) just to make sure that my family (with three young children) will not be dependent on others for a few days when crazy things happen. I wonder what the costco emergency rations are like. I imagine that I will be buying some at some point in the future - I just hope that it is not too late!

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Just a SMALL question: IF the world's gonna end on the 21st...

what the hell good will $3,000 worth of food do ya, then?
Should have a big bbq on 20th and on the subject of dates why do you guys put the day after the month in a date? The world ends here on 21/12/12 and since we are the first country to see day in then we end first.

When the twin towers went down i was working sticking a camera down water tubes of a large boiler on morning of 12/09/01 or 12th of september.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 AM

2008 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys Blue/Silver

Ride safe,
Old 11-15-2012, 05:09 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

The only things I have are my Ruger 10/22 rifle, and Glock...I'll be hiding them in an undisclosed location.

After Katrina, the police went door to door collecting everyones guns.

If there is going to be any sort of "event"...like hell I'm letting the government take away my weapons.

other than that, I have a bug out bag with enough medical supplies to do open heart surgery, and another to get me far enough away from the east coast as I need to get....but I'm not preparing for December....my preparation is for something that actually is going to happen.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Should have a big bbq on 20th and on the subject of dates why do you guys put the day after the month in a date?...
When I was in the military, the 'standard' was day/ month/ year (as in 25/04/2012). Unfortunately there is NO standard otherwise, which is why that date will be 04/25/2012 or 2012/04/25 or 2012/25/04, with NO rhyme or reason. The date I gave leaves no room for misunderstanding, but unfortunately when the day is LOWER than the 13th, OR the year is shortened to JUST the last two numbers it becomes VERY open to mistakes.

As in: 04/12/01....

Anyone? What IS that date in English???

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Should have a big bbq on 20th and on the subject of dates why do you guys put the day after the month in a date?
Some of us pedants in the USA put the day before the month. Most people around here probably think that they are arrogant fools who cannot conform to standards. Around here it is just the way that it is done (think "what side of the road should I be driving on right now"). For electronic usage I go small-endian and would write 20010911.

Quote:
The world ends here on 21/12/12 and since we are the first country to see day in then we end first.
I believe the Republic of Kiribati would disagree with this assessment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK9 View Post
other than that, I have a bug out bag with enough medical supplies to do open heart surgery, and another to get me far enough away from the east coast as I need to get....but I'm not preparing for December....my preparation is for something that actually is going to happen.
Large population concentrations give me a sense of claustrophobia. If something went wrong I would always want to be in a position to get away from the people and make my way with the elements. This may be a very foolish way of thinking since Mother Nature is, in essence, much less amenable to survival. Still, it is also the way I think.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post

I believe the Republic of Kiribati would disagree with this assessment.

Kiribati is less than 9m above sea level.
At the turn of the millennium the first land to see the dawn of the new day/year/millennium was on the Chatham Islands of New Zealand. The highest point there is 283m. Although Kiribati is situated at 168 deg 44' W and the hill on the Chathams is at 176 deg 32' W because of the height the distance to the horizon is further than than that seen on Kiribati.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 PM

Unfortunately the location of the date line is indeterminate in international waters. Kiribati claims to be first, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt - which means that they will be the first to witness the horrible destruction of the Earth.

Personally, if I ever visit New Zealand some day, I would also like to visit Christmas Island for a few reasons as well. Otherwise I will just "keep away from the water."

By the way, I hope that New Zealand experiences a wonderful Christmas (a few days after "the end")!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys

Ok you win Kiribati has it haha. We usually have a nice long summer holiday over the christmas period as it is the end of the school year as most school on hols for 6 to 8 weeks so a lot of families get away camping etc. I am working through christmas and new year but on 20 days off from 5th of jan to 25th and have a big ride planned with 5 more riders and one of them is flying in from Australia and hiring a triumph. We on a 8 night 9 day ride around south island of NZ so should be a blast.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 PM

I hope you have a great ride.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement