Front wheel spacer clarification - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 11-15-2012, 04:11 PM

Default Front wheel spacer clarification

I just got around to swapping out the dented wheels on my 2011 V. Been waiting to do this, and followed some great tips from Gofaster (thanks so much!).

I purchased some Er6N wheels with good bearings - and went about swapping over the old rotors to the new wheels. I laid the wheels on the bench with the tire arrows facing the same direction (writing on hub is on the left), and installed the rotors onto the front wheel. Put the spacers in, and started to mount it up.

Although he warned about keeping track of the spacers (and I think that I did) - I am worried I have the two spacers swapped. Need some clarification.

Right now, the left spacer (sitting on bike) sticks out 2.5mm from the edge of hub and the right is 3mm. When seated with the axle, it looks correct based on space from the caliper mounts. But the front fender looks slightly askew - which started to freak me out.

Can anyone confirm whether:

A) the spacers should be out of wheel at different amounts, and B) if so which side the larger amount should be on?

Thanks

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 PM

Check the "Service Manual" in the 'V Manuals' in this part of the forum: my paper one (page 10-7) says that, AFTER you torque the front axle AND the clamp, that you should have 2mm (.08 inches) clearance between the RIGHT fork leg and the spacer. If not, take it apart and re-check everything.

Hope this helps.

(When I remove either wheel I put the spacers, etc, back on the axle in the correct order, then leave the axle lying there CORRECTLY positioned relative to the Versys.)

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 PM

Thanks Eddie. I usually do the same thing with spacers...but didnt remove the spacers on the front wheel until it was on the bench - because they stayed in the wheel from seal pressure.

i got nervous because I'm swapping the rotors to another wheel, and I panic'd that the two wheels might be different, when I saw the center line of the fender looked off (it could have always been this way and I never noticed). The spacers are in the correct sides based on the way the old wheel sat on the bike - now to be sure that the two hubs/bearings are set up the same, and properly...

I'll check measurements tomorrow.

Appreciate the help.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:36 AM

UPDATE:

Turns out upon closer inspection, the bearings themselves were not spinning freely on the replacement wheel. While they seem perfect on the old wheel, once removed with punches, I never feel safe reusing them. So it's replacement all balls bearings for the front.

Slight delay, but chalk it up to peace of mind...
Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopreserve View Post
UPDATE:

Turns out upon closer inspection, the bearings themselves were not spinning freely on the replacement wheel. While they seem perfect on the old wheel, once removed with punches, I never feel safe reusing them. So it's replacement all balls bearings for the front.

Slight delay, but chalk it up to peace of mind...

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 11-17-2012, 02:33 PM

New All Balls kit on it's way - should have it by Tuesday and slap it in, and ready to ride on a V with no wheel dents...

MUCH more confidence in the twisties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement