Took a little ride this summer. - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 AM

Wow, awesome trip. Thanks for the pics!
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 09:56 PM

From Monticello our goal was to make it to Capitol Reef National Park. I would say this an awesome day! Great roads, fast riding, fantastic scenery. Views we just don't get to see back east.

Capitol Reef is an oasis in the middle of the Utah desert. It is an amazing place that should be visited if you tour Utah.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 PM

Capitol Reef had some cool canyons to explore.

See the bikes in the photo?

Proof that aliens visited us in the past.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:58 PM

Some more of Capitol Reef.

Proof I was there.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 PM

That is awesome and thanks for sharing those photos! I have to say that aliens thing really make me think? Could it have been? Very cool!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
That is awesome and thanks for sharing those photos! I have to say that aliens thing really make me think? Could it have been? Very cool!
NOT aliens - early Indians wearing deer-antler head-gear.

And shot by some a$$hats!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 10-19-2012, 03:07 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys
Default Shinko

2 Wheel, I think that front tire on your V is a Shinko. Is that right and are you using a Shinko (Raven) on the rear? I have them on my V and like them. I have seen negative comments on them but they have worked well for me, on both of my bikes.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegeezer View Post
2 Wheel, I think that front tire on your V is a Shinko. Is that right and are you using a Shinko (Raven) on the rear? I have them on my V and like them. I have seen negative comments on them but they have worked well for me, on both of my bikes.
Yes, Shinko Ravens front and rear. Got over 8000 miles on them right now and they still have some life left. The front tire did slip a couple of times on some tar snakes on beartooth pass. Do not like tar snakes.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys
Default Beartooth

Thanks for posting your pics. The Beartooth is great, I got snow flurries there in the summer once. beautiful place. Grizzlies I could see from the road. Gotta go back some day.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 PM

From Capitol Reef our next destination was Kanab, UT. Not long after we left Capitol Reef we started to climb in elevation.

Here are some stills I pulled from the GoPro Videos of Utah 12. What an awesome road!

Today's Route

Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 AM

Great photos! I'd love to do a trip like that sometimes.

...any feedback on the Terry Adcox seat? I am looking to buy that same seat and would like to know what you think after doing such a long trip.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnb View Post
Great photos! I'd love to do a trip like that sometimes.

...any feedback on the Terry Adcox seat? I am looking to buy that same seat and would like to know what you think after doing such a long trip.
The seat is working out great for me. I can slide up close to the tank and have my knees down while riding in supermoto mode, then slide back on the seat and get full support and comfort for extended riding. Even provides some support to the upper thighs. I even did an 800 mile day with that seat on the second to last day of my trip and no issues whatsoever. Like anything else, no one seat is perfect for everyone, but this one is for me. I also had Terry make a seat for my Mean Streak, and will have other seats ideas for him to make in the future.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 PM

Is that a black concours in your kawi line up. After having taking the nice trip on the versys, would you have enjoyed the ride better on the concours?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigm View Post
Is that a black concours in your kawi line up. After having taking the nice trip on the versys, would you have enjoyed the ride better on the concours?
I had just added the Concours to my stable prior to the trip so there was no time to prepare it. I would not have taken the concours to many of the places I took the Versys. I think I am learning that an adventure style bike is the perfect bike for touring and sightseeing on. The Ducati Multistrada sure would be fun, but lack of support in the US would make it not practical. Probably the same with the Tiger Explorer. That leaves the yamaha super tenere. Dealing with the chain for all those miles was a PTA.

I guess you can look at it this way. On the long distance boring sections I would have enjoyed the Voyager more. On the cruises through the black hills and sturgis I would have enjoyed the Mean Streak more. On the dirt sections I would have enjoyed my new KLX250S more. On the fast curves I would have enjoyed the Concours more. I still think I rode the perfect bike for the majority of the ride, but I will not desire to do that long of a ride on a chain drive bike again.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the input on best bikes for the different rdies of your trip. What type of maintenance did the chain require besides cleaning and tightening.. thanks again for sharing the awesome pictures and descriptions. How did your companion make out on the 600 chain driven more sport oriented bike?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM

simply amazin
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 AM

I kinda of like the Connie, I got to ride a friend's for a week after I was out of the hospital. If I had the money for another bike I'd likely buy a Connie BUT for most of my riding I think the Versys is a better choice for me.

I mainly do short to mid range ride on back roads and the Versys shines there being lighter and more "Flickable". BUT I wanted to go to Florida and the Connie ate the miles up at a faster pace and was more comfortable the longer I was on it, the extre weight came into play to the good in on this ride, The "V" gets beat around a bit on the "Slab" by the slip stream from big rigs while I found the Connie to be somewhat more stable. I was on the "Slab" as little as I had to be taking the "Less Traveled Roads" but of some of the real back roads I could tell it was a heavier bike.

It's all a trade off to gain a bit here you lose a bit there.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigm View Post
Thanks for the input on best bikes for the different rdies of your trip. What type of maintenance did the chain require besides cleaning and tightening.. thanks again for sharing the awesome pictures and descriptions. How did your companion make out on the 600 chain driven more sport oriented bike?
Without a centerstand lubing was a two man job and we didn't carry a torque wrench and breaker bar to do adjustments. The ZZR ended up with some tight spots in the chain and was spent by the end of the ride as well. The best time to clean and lube your chain is at the end of the day and it was just one more thing to do in addition to setting up camp and wanting to relax. The ZZR has carbs so I never wanted to follow when we were at altitude because it would run rich and no cats to burn off the extra fuel.
Advertisement