swingarm ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Default swingarm ?

installed motowerks lowering block last week ( another fine product from speedy) and when i lifted up swing arm to install shock ther seemed to be a slight play is this normal from just taking the weight off of it or not it was tight moving swingarm side to side and no i have not regreased that is one of my winter jobs thanks for any replys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 PM

Yes, it's normal. There is freeplay at the shock's needle bearing bottom mount on the bolt. There is more travel at the end of swingarm in relation to shock travel.

Last edited by invader; 11-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Flatwoods,

I have a lowering block on the way from another forum member. How hard is it to install? I know there are directions on Speedy's website, but sometimes reality is different that whats on paper. How hard is it to cut the kickstand? I already have the flatfoot from Speedy. I also bought some swing arm spools to aid in lifting the back end of the bike. Did you use a spool arm lifter to raise the bike, or something else>

Thanks
Jason
Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3e9 View Post
Flatwoods,

I have a lowering block on the way from another forum member. How hard is it to install? I know there are directions on Speedy's website, but sometimes reality is different that whats on paper. How hard is it to cut the kickstand? I already have the flatfoot from Speedy. I also bought some swing arm spools to aid in lifting the back end of the bike. Did you use a spool arm lifter to raise the bike, or something else>

Thanks
Jason
You cant lift the rear by the spools to install the lowering kit. I had help and lifted the bike up and had my wife slide jack stands (with rags) under the driver footpeg brackets. This allows the rear wheel to be in the air and able to remove the bottom rear shock bolt.

Cutting the kickstand with a hack saw was easy to do even while on the bike. The kickstand was easier than lowering but the lowering was not bad.

Don't forget that it is recommended by many to lower the front as well.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...&postcount=161

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...&postcount=229

Versys Owners/Riders Map Here.

Add your name and see who's near you!

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 11-13-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3e9 View Post
Flatwoods,

Thanks
Jason
you have to lift the bike from the chasis...the shock assy is between the chasis and the swing arm. If you just support by the spools you'll be VERY unhappy when you unbolt the shock. I would recomend visiting the motowerks web site to get the instructions before opening your tool box
Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 PM

+1 on Captain Kirk's suggestions. I used a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to cut the kickstand. Suggest you cut gradually, 1/4" at a time, till you're happy with the lean-over.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 PM

I used my trolley jack under the muffler using a flat piece of timber to protect the muffler and spread the load. I also tied the handlebars to a beam in the ceiling of the carport.
I used a hacksaw to cut the sidestand it was easier than I expected.
Follow Speedy's instructions and you won't go wrong
Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 AM

Instead of cutting my stand I installed a Ninja 650 side stand on my versys then Speedy's Flatfoot Kit.

http://ride.typicality.net/
Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys

thanks invader, merlin it was very easy to install top notch parts, i always thought the stock kick stand made the bike lean over to much so imeasured down inch and three quarters its perfect for me now.i raised the bike up with swingarm stand and put 5 gallon buckets under footpegs worked great,
Old 11-14-2012, 06:09 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Excellent advice everyone. Thank You!

I will definitely print Speedy's instructions before I open the toolbox
Old 11-14-2012, 06:45 PM

If you lower the rear, you must also lower the front, because lowering just the rear increases front end trail to the point that it won't want to turn in without pushing it down into the corner. I lowered my front to the point where the fork leg changes diameter, and it handles just fine.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement