Dramatically improve your brakes for less than $100! - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Since I had already replaced the brake lines and pads the MC was the next logical bit. Calipers are so damn expensive that I think my next upgrade will be the front forks. There is still quite a bit of dive in the front end. It is a pretty good suspension for a bike for that price, but it could definitely be improved.

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one! Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have three!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 06:16 AM

My V is a Euro model 2008 ABS and I don't like the feel of the brake lever. In fact, after a day of aggressive riding, my right hand hurts - from braking! I haven't had these issues with my old bike, and neither with an 2009 US non-ABS model. I thought the ABS made the difference, but apparently, Kawa didn't change the brake cylinder for nothing. THANK YOU for the hint, I will see to it if the Euro models had the same changes.

I don't really like riders telling others what (not) to do with their bikes, i.e. riding style. The V is not a "commuter bike" per se.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneman064 View Post
I would just offer that after having worked in a bike shop and bled many brake systems that the cause of the long throw of the lever is often air in the system. When you did the bleed with the vacuum tool after changing the bowl you obviously removed enough air to provide a solid feel to the brakes. I don't know if you ever used the tool on the old MC and even if you did it might have taken several attempts to get the air out of those split lines.
brakes.

This.

It was air, not the reservoir. Good job with bleeding it; it's amazing to me how many bikes have to be rebled. Plus, far too many people ignore the full-fluid swap every 2 years or so.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornbe View Post
This.

It was air, not the reservoir. Good job with bleeding it; it's amazing to me how many bikes have to be rebled. Plus, far too many people ignore the full-fluid swap every 2 years or so.
For the SECOND time I'll post this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
No air in the system. The improvement I got is in "feel", and to me, that's important.

It was NOT 'spongy' - it just didn't work as well as my '09's brakes, so I upgraded.

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-15-2012, 12:16 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys, green of course

Kawasaki changed the MC for more than aesthetics. Probably saw the comments of bike testers about the poor front brakes. As for SS lines and better pads than stock? You can have your exhaust mods or fancy paint but I'll spend extra money for better brakes any day of the week.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:48 PM

I know several of you have also upgraded your PRE-'09 brakes to the new master cylinder (front brake reservoir), and I want to ask you to comment about WHETHER or not you feel it was worthwhile; and HOW much it improved your sense of the brakes on your '08 or earlier V.

I'm asking this as a result of several posts from others indicating their feeling that it's either "air in the lines" or "just in our minds" and not necessary.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I know several of you have also upgraded your PRE-'09 brakes to the new master cylinder (front brake reservoir), and I want to ask you to comment about WHETHER or not you feel it was worthwhile; and HOW much it improved your sense of the brakes on your '08 or earlier V.

I'm asking this as a result of several posts from others indicating their feeling that it's either "air in the lines" or "just in our minds" and not necessary.

In answer to this post - I feel it was DEFINITELY a worthwhile mod, and that it improved the feel on my '08 by 100%.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:

I spent approxmately $105 upgrading the master cylinder and feel that it was money well spent.

When applying the front brake initial bite is improved, along with a more firm feel of the lever and less lever travel. And this is after installing braided brake hoses.

I did not have air in the brake lines. The lines were properly bled 2 times before I performed the upgrade.

My opinion is that the stock front brakes are merely adequate. Performing the upgrade has been an improvement and I am pleased with the results.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:01 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread, But I have 40 years of experience. Actually it's a bit more, I've been road racing for the last 12 years. Brakes are very important to me. I trail brake a LOT. Bought an 09 Versys yesterday, the brakes are terrible, no feel, with lots of effort to stop. Found myself leaving lots of room in front of me since I didn't think I could stop as fast as I should be able to on a motorcycle. I'll bleed them/replace the fluid, de glaze the pads and see what that does for me. I'm thinking I'll be swapping MC's and caliper though before long. Especially since I have a few race spared and an extra Brembo MC in the shed.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM

Hey - IF you want to experience REALLY poor, I can sell you a master cylinder from an '08....

Old 11-10-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Hey - IF you want to experience REALLY poor, I can sell you a master cylinder from an '08....

I don't know, they were pretty damn poor. I've got a couple ZX6r MC's, and a set of gsxr calipers already too. That along with making up some new lines, add some motul fluid, I'll be golden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement