Does the lack of braking power make you want to sell?? - Page 4 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:25 PM

I upgraded to braided steel lines on my MT-01 and must say I've seen no noticeable difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 PM

2009 Kawasaki '09.5 Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
I have to agree with SYMBIOTIX, I have a 2012 with 250 miles and love the bike other than the crappy brakes and crappy gearbox. I have owned more bikes than I can remember and it is a shame the V has these 2 rather important areas of the machine to be so weak. I have not tried yet but I am pretty sure I would need to push the rear brake pedal until it scraped the pavement to actually lock the rear wheel. I am crossing my fingers that things get better with miles but I honestly believe it is what it is and any improvements would be very marginal. I love the rest of the bike, the motor. Apparently to get bike of the year they didn't ride my 2012.
250 miles??
Well, you oughta break the thing in before you start complaining. Go on, get out there and get some miles on it, you'll like it a lot more, promise!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 PM

I considered the brakes on my 09 substandard for running the local mountain roads WITH the stock pads. EBC HH pads transformed the braking performance.

I did clean the pistons before installing the new pads but I am sure the EBCs are the difference. I now consider the Versys brakes to be exceptional for fast backroad work and their feel is excellent.

KEB

Last edited by kebrider; 09-26-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbiotix View Post
Sounds like there are a few who are experiencing the same thing as I.

I guess for me the best way to describe the lack of "feel" is as such: On the Versys as you apply the brakes the amount of traction provided by the brakes does not feel equivelant to the amount of pressure applied. On my bike it isn't until just before full lock-up that the brakes actually feel like they are doing a good job at slowing. It makes lower speed cornering annoying, and reduces your confidence at higher speeds as you are always treading on that fine line of the brakes actually working versus locking up... because you have to squeeze soooo damn hard just to get any feel.

Upgrading calipers is an option, but I thought it would be a huge pain, especially if I consider selling (would like to revert to stock).
Someone needs an exercise ball. I have no problem with the brakes, but then again I have to use a torque wrench to ensure I don't snap off a fastener by torquing it too much.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:53 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:21 PM

I wonder, what is you guys average speed on the roads? Do you abide strictly to the speed limit? Or if and when you breach the limit, by how much? What is your riding style? Do you ride smooth and easy with sensible throttle control, or do you gun the gas hard, brake late, brake hard and gas hard again?

Fact is, riding at different speed and different style will give you different braking response when the lever is pulled.

If you think that the stock is fine the way it is, then so be it. If you think your brake needs improvement, so do it. Your bike, your ride and your preference. Nobody's the same. Aye?
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 AM

Allow me to reiterate my opinion.

"Nobody's the same"

A halfly filled glass of water. Some may see it half full while some sees it half empty. But fact remains that it is just a partially filled glass with 50% water and 50% air.

Back to the brakes on the versys. Put it stock standard as of newly rolled out of factory. Yet 2 riders would have 2 different opinions on it. I say, so what? Do whatever you liked with it, anything as long as you're happy with the results. That's my point.

I am no motorcycle instructor, i am no racer. I am merely a commuter with regular sunday outings. I enjoy my riding life. And i'd do anything i can to make the riding experience much more enjoyable for me, and that includes modifying the brake systems if i want to, or add a couple of stickers and decals even onto the mudflap where nobody gives a damn bother to look at. But well, as long as i feel good and safe doing it, nobody gets hurt and everybody had a great time on the road, that is all that matters.

Cheers
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 09-26-2012, 04:36 AM

Change those tires! I think the brakes on the V are brilliant. flat out with 150 meters to a hairpin before i hit the brakes, out brake most of the bikes on a track day, its how i keep up with the faster bikes. I got stock pads, no braided hoses, just new oil in the system.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 AM

Ah yes the tyres too. Thank you.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 AM

No night and day difference with braided SS lines but it does have better response on braking and rid of the woody feel on the levers. IMO, it was worth the $$ upgrade.

I've tried Ducati Monster's Brembo and they grip like crazy! You can get hurt if you apply too much brake suddenly. IMO, the V's brakes are sufficient and am glad it doesn't grip like the Monster, else I would going over the handle bars.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM

I'll be picking up my versys today, will be able to evaluate the brakes better tomorrow. I'm a road racer so I'm sure I'll be pickier than most on here about my brakes. I'm used to one or two finger braking on my ZXR400, brembo master, R6 calipers and vesrah race pads. Stock R6 brakes with Vesrah pads just about as good.

I bleed my brakes EVERY race weekend. Regular maintenance will help everyone, you'd be surprised how just a little bit of change is needed to feel a difference. If I don't like them I'll start with pads and lines, then calipers and master. I think I already have parts in the shed that will work if I wanted to upgrade the master and calipers.

As to the post that said ABS effects the bike in a corner you are mistaken, Bike geometry and changes in geometry due to braking are the reason for a bike wanting to stand up or fall into a corner. I use the brakes on track to help me turn the bike. ABS has no effect on that, only whether the wheel locks up or not.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:21 PM

Ive had many bikes and dont feel the Versys lacks braking power, just lacks initial bite. Squeeze harder and you should be able to lock up front or rear no problem...If not then maybe your brakes need maintenance.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:31 PM

I think I've bitched as much if not more than most about the front brakes on my '08 Versys. I think by now it is safe to say the problem is NOT that some of us expect superbike performance. We just got crappy brakes on our particular bikes. I chalk it up to really bad quality control. I'm sure many of you have perfectly adequate brakes. Like the original poster, I did not, and in hindsight would probably buy a different bike because of it.
On my bike, they are the worst front brakes I have ever had on any bike I have ever ridden. Including my YZ and XL that had front drums. I'm not exaggerating. I quit riding for a year because I couldn't afford to upgrade and didn't feel safe on the bike. It wen't in early to the dealer who replaced a rotor under warranty but didn't fix the problem. I recently added ebc HH pads, ebc rotors, and hel braided lines. I haven't ridden enough to bed them in yet, but there was some improvent. They're better but still not very good. New calipers and a master cylinder will eventually happen. For the cost and trouble I would have been happier with a Tiger or something with better quality control from the beginning.

http://ctoons124.blogspot.com/

Old 11-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Sorry to hear that man. Wonder if brakes of a Z750 would fit...if you find a place that sell used bikes, you might be able to find a cheap upgrade that would bolt right on without spitting the cash required to put a set of Brembos on...
Old 11-09-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
Sorry to hear that man. Wonder if brakes of a Z750 would fit...if you find a place that sell used bikes, you might be able to find a cheap upgrade that would bolt right on without spitting the cash required to put a set of Brembos on...
Z750 shares the same caliper as the versys, and so does ninja 650r and the suzuki sv650. Meanwhile the master pump from z750 is also a 14mm master, except that its using external fluid reservoir compared to versys/650r built-in together .

Brembo master is a nice addition, if one has the excess cash lying around, although i felt it is an overkill for versys, not to mention it is definitely a thief magnet.

For those who think that stock brake is not good enough, I guess a 4 potter tokico from versys 1000 with metal sintered pads and steel braided lines would be very significant improvement.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Well, I gotta agree after riding today that the brakes are crap. I'll check the pads and put fresh brake fluid in it and see how that affects it. After that I'd try new pads, I've got some calipers I think will fit. A different master from an R6 or ZX6r might be a good addition too. I'm used to trying different things on my race bikes so why should this one be different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement