Weirdest thing happened yesterday--Stuck at high RPM - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 11-07-2012, 11:09 AM

Default Weirdest thing happened yesterday--Stuck at high RPM

I absolutely love this forum and have been a long time lurker on here. I've learned so much from others' posts, but couldn't find anything on this topic so am hoping someone might be able to help me out. I've got a 09 V with about 10.5k miles on it. As I was leaving school yesterday, I went through my normal routine of starting the bike and putting on my gear. Usually the RPMs will start around 2k and then drop to about 1.3k when the bike warms up. However, yesterday they stayed at around 3-4k. I thought it might just need to be kicked into gear so I took off and got to the stoplight at the end of the block, but the RPMs stayed around 3-4k when I pulled in the clutch. Thinking someone may have messed with the idle adjustment screw, I stopped and checked, but even when it was backed all the way out, the RPMs wouldn't go below 3-4k. I made sure the throttle was closed the entire way, but that still didn't work. Finally, I stopped again, got off the bike and checked everything again. When I turned the bike back on for this third time, everything was back to normal.

Does anybody have any idea what could have been going on there? My only thoughts are that the throttle was stuck open (and somehow me pushing it all the way back to place didn't close it the first time) or there was a bunch of excess gas somewhere that had to burn off. I'm worried it could be something more serious and don't want to be stranded somewhere, but I'm totally stumped as to what could be going on.

On a potentially-related note, sometimes when I turn on the bike, I get this nasty sound that can only be described as buzzing/scraping coming from what sounds like the bottom right of the engine area (below where the pipes connect to the engine and a little forward of where the oil plug bolt is). I'll have to take a video of this and post it in a separate post, but in case anyone thinks that might be relevant, I thought I'd share it here.

Last edited by psych-ed; 11-07-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM

This has been experienced by others, but I can't recall what it is. I'm trying to use the Advanced Search function on the forums to turn something up.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:47 PM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21152

Sorry haven't been able to find much other than that so far.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:36 PM

Not to get all negative but that Advanced Search is a frickin joke!

I have never had it come up with one thread yet even if I put the exact title of the thread still nothing? I MUST be doing something wrong?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post

I have never had it come up with one thread yet even if I put the exact title of the thread still nothing? I MUST be doing something wrong?

Too many words most likely. Try just one word searches and only search titles. At least that is what works best for me.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21152

Sorry haven't been able to find much other than that so far.
Oh wow, I totally missed that thread and it looks like it's pretty much the exact same issue I've been having. I'll try messing around with the bike a bit in the next couple of days and hopefully get the issue taken care of. As always, this forum is a lifesaver!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych-ed View Post
On a potentially-related note, sometimes when I turn on the bike, I get this nasty sound that can only be described as buzzing/scraping coming from what sounds like the bottom right of the engine area (below where the pipes connect to the engine and a little forward of where the oil plug bolt is). I'll have to take a video of this and post it in a separate post, but in case anyone thinks that might be relevant, I thought I'd share it here.
Beside the fuel pump priming up, what you hear is the subthrottle valve actuator cycling when turning ignition on. You may have a problem with it or the subthrottle valve actuator. Did the FI lamp go on while idle was high? Do you wash it with high pressure water? If it happens again, see if the subthrottle actuator cam is still pushing down at your idle adjustment screw... Observe it when you turn ignition on, and also when you start bike cold to see how it normally functions.

Last edited by invader; 11-08-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Too many words most likely. Try just one word searches and only search titles. At least that is what works best for me.
Thank you! I'll try that!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber

I never was able to determine what caused my issue....it hasn't done it since. Shutting the bike down and restarting seemed to correct the issue....

Good Luck

Halfthrottle
Old 11-08-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post

Sorry to jack the thread, but I have to second that affirmation

It's so frustrating to use the search engine ...

One word, or a complete sentence never ever return a few response ... You have to navigate true hundred or more return

The rest of the forum is awsome tough !!!

LOP
Old 11-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Beside the fuel pump priming up, what you hear is the subthrottle valve actuator cycling when turning ignition on. You may have a problem with it or the subthrottle valve actuator. Did the FI lamp go on while idle was high? Do you wash it with high pressure water? If it happens again, see if the subthrottle actuator cam is still pushing down at your idle adjustment screw... Observe it when you turn ignition on, and also when you start bike cold to see how it normally functions.
The sound I'm talking about will usually continue for a while at low RPMs until the bike warms up a bit (maybe at higher RPMs too but the noise of the exhaust covers up the nasty sound). It's kind of a combination of scraping and rattling sound.

The FI light didn't go on while the idle was high. I do use a high pressure washer at one of those DIY car washes since there's no hose at my apartment. However, I never squeeze the trigger to really blast the bike unless i'm a good 10-15 feet away (and NEVER near the brakes or wheel bearings).

If it happens again, I'll definitely check what you suggest. Thanks so much!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 PM

Ok, you need to isolate the noise source ASAP to confirm what we're looking at here.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM

What you might be hearing is the oil pressure relief valve chattering because the oil's cold and the pressure is high because of the increased viscosity. Once the oil starts flowing, the pressure decreases and the valve closes.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement