Tire traction - old or cold? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahwas View Post
You can use front bake + more throttle to quickly heat up the tires (and to create additional wear) on straight sections. Don't overdo it, ABS recommended
I went down very quickly a while ago on wet roads due to front tire lock-up. I didn't know the front tire locked up before I went down, let alone react to it. There is no way I would have been able to react to such a quick lockup. I think ABS would have saved the day. I will never buy another bike without an ABS. I don't have the experience and the reflex to do better than an ABS. I think it should be a required safety equipment - maybe put a button to disable it for people who want to disable it.

It is the one thing that pisses me off about my bike. I mean, a lot of bikes in this category come with ABS or the option to have it - but Kawi doesn't even offer it in the US on the Versys! I guess we get what we pay for, and then pay for it in scratched up fairing, bent metal, broken bones, and maybe even worse.

Sorry for the rant, but that is how I feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM

A large part of the blame can be put on Dunlop's D221 OE (Original Equipment) grade tires, particularly the front one.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallhorn View Post
I went down very quickly a while ago on wet roads due to front tire lock-up. I didn't know the front tire locked up before I went down, let alone react to it. There is no way I would have been able to react to such a quick lockup. I think ABS would have saved the day. I will never buy another bike without an ABS. I don't have the experience and the reflex to do better than an ABS. I think it should be a required safety equipment - maybe put a button to disable it for people who want to disable it.

It is the one thing that pisses me off about my bike. I mean, a lot of bikes in this category come with ABS or the option to have it - but Kawi doesn't even offer it in the US on the Versys! I guess we get what we pay for, and then pay for it in scratched up fairing, bent metal, broken bones, and maybe even worse.

Sorry for the rant, but that is how I feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
A large part of the blame can be put on Dunlop's D221 OE (Original Equipment) grade tires, particularly the front one.

+1 to both comments!

ABS is proven safety!

I went for a 60 mile ride last night on a cool little back road in the back country! Big winter front on its way so last chance for a while.

In dry conditions lower tire pressure helps on stock tire but it wears them out faster. They wear like iron! Thats the problem. Its a hard rubber.

Love the way the bike ran through the hill, turns, ect. Really sad to see limited riding on its way.

Been thinking about street leagal atv for winter snow. Everyone needs one to clear the walks and drive way correct?
Advertisement