Shad $400 side cases and mounts - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Rider's Gear

Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys
Default Shad $400 side cases and mounts

Came across this and thought I would post as price is good. No experience with this product. Includes Versys specific mounting brackets.

Shad SH-42 side cases and mounting brackets

http://www.shadonline.com/ProductDet...e=SET-K0VR60SF

Last edited by Sprocket; 10-16-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 05:30 PM

I've seen the Shad tail trunks and they looked OK but like you I've never used one. At $400 for the boxes and mount I'd say it'd be a hard deal to beat.

I've had Hepco & Becker and Givi, big players in this field. Both are nice and both leaked. I have Pelican Boxes on my KLR and they have never leaked. Ugly, yes but tough as a $2.00 steak! Only problem with them is they are fairly heavy.

Last edited by Time; 10-16-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:14 PM

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc.../shad-luggage/

Wonder how waterproof they are...
Old 10-16-2012, 06:24 PM

Seems like they mount kind of high for those that carry a passenger.

I had a JCWhitney trunk on my KLR that was a GIVI knockoff and it never leaked once I added a gasket to it.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:56 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

The Shad cases I've seen seem to be the quality and functional equivalent of Givi but don't have the Givi's Italian flair for styling. Price is better though.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 AM

I'm on my 2nd SHAD top case... 1st one was an SH45 (totaled in an hard tarmac crash/slide), I'm running an SH49 now.

Good quality materials and well thought out construction, IMHO owes nothing to GIVI... Good price also.

No issues whatsoever (impermeability included)...

My 2 cents...

Cheers
Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 AM

What is the mounting situation on these? Could you use Twisted quick release for Givi with these?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys
Default Shad

Talked to Andres at Shad and it looks like the special $399 deal is selling well.
Thx sprocket I may take the plunge

Ddc
Old 10-21-2012, 08:31 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys Blue
Default Ordered these tonight

I have been planning to go the seahorse route for months now. These work out to be close to the same price, so I am going with these. I would have enjoyed having to do the modifications to the seahorse cases because its almost therapy for me, but this seems like a really good deal......

Thanks to the OP for the link.

Dan
Old 10-21-2012, 09:48 PM

If some have it installed I'd be curious to know if passenger still has decent room left for legs and feet once the luggage are on.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 AM

Just bought soft bags a couple weeks ago but these seem like they will be a good next purchase.....

Beamed from my Gnex
Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Default My shad experience

As I mentioned above, I ordered these on Sunday night. I immediately received an order confirmation. On Monday I received another confirmation of my order. I never received a shipping notification, but my order status on shad online was updated to shipped. There was no tracking information provided and the cases were delivered on Thursday. I asked for a "gift option" to keep the pricing off the packing slip, but that was ignored by Shad.

The packaging for the mounting racks was damaged and the racks arrived with a few scuffs. Nothing major,but worth noting as the packaging for the racks is poor.

The two cases were packaged well and arrived in new condition.

There are stickers on each case that arrived already peeling and that had/has me worried about the overall quality control from Shad. The stickers are really no issue, but I do think it is worth mentioning here because it may drive someone nuts. I was planning on adding some reflective material so I looked passed it.

What I found unique about the rack, is the integrated blinker.

Installation of the racks is pretty simple. Remove your existing turn signals. Remove the rear bolt and spacer from the grab rail and replace with the provided spacer and bolt on the rack. The other end utilizes the threaded hole under the passenger footpeg like many other racks.

The provided turn signals come with a non-OEM connector which I cut off and spliced in the connectors from my original turn signals. This was the most time consuming part of the installation. Here are the racks installed.

The holes from the OEM turn signals remain open and unsightly. I'll fashion something to fill them or eliminate the fender in the near future.
Here is a shot from the rear.

A couple of side shots

From the front

I think overall these are a tremendous value. The cases are light and big. They seem to be tough as well. I am sure there will be some that will not like the turn signals, but it seems to work well and in my opinion is better than a relocation kit. The two negatives I have found are 1. The cases did not come with matched keys. Annoying. 2. A few simple quality control upgrades, like better packaging for the racks and better (or no) stickers on the cases could make these perfect.

I don't post often because every question i have had has been answered on this forum already. I have not seen anyone post about the Shad side cases before, so I hope this helps. For $400.00 I think these are a steal.

Dan

Last edited by Dann_g; 10-27-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:40 PM

Great post man, those look like quite some cargo space! The turn signals are fine with the luggage on, just looks a bit akward when there's no luggage but hey it still works hehe

I hesitated a lot and almost ordered these, but finally went with the SW-Motech quick release rack and Trax EVO aluminum luggage. Three times what you paid for though...but I wanted a rack system I could put and remove within a minute as the luggage will only be on the bike for the long trips. I think at 400$ nothing on the market will come close to the Shad hard cases.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:17 PM

Is it possible to leave stock rear brake lights on the bike?

Not knowing much about luggage and luggage systems at all, but how hard would these be to unmount and only use on long trips?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 PM

I thought about leaving the stock lights on, but they WILL hit the cases. There might be enough flex in the OEM turn signals to do it. If you left them on, then you could potentially tap into the wiring to add a disconnect for the Shad lights. Removal of the racks would take an hour or so.....

The SW Motech quick release racks are probably the best choice if you want to switch back and forth.......
Old 11-06-2012, 11:56 PM

I got my cases today. install with a breeze. you can leave the stock turn signals on - they do touch the frame but they do not extend out far enough to hit the cases. I figure if I needed to take the frames off, I could probably do it in about 10 minutes. There are only 4 bolts that hold them on to the bike
Old 11-07-2012, 12:41 AM

I was hoping they would post to Australia but they wouldn't answer my email :-(
Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 PM

Hi there. Do you have pictures of the SHAD kit installed with OEM signlas on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
I got my cases today. install with a breeze. you can leave the stock turn signals on - they do touch the frame but they do not extend out far enough to hit the cases. I figure if I needed to take the frames off, I could probably do it in about 10 minutes. There are only 4 bolts that hold them on to the bike
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM

2012 Kawasaki Versys

Thanks for the write up Dann.............I was thinking of these as well.....but I crossed my fingers and hoped someone would sell the racks for the Givi V35's and as well the bags. It took a few months but I got the set....75 bucks for the racks and 250 for the V35 side cases. 325$ all together....so not too bad.
Question....Does anyone know if you can add a Shad topcase onto the bike as well as the sidecases??
Cheers
BOC
Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 PM

2011 Kawasaki Versys

Will these fit a full face helmet? Looks large enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shad, side cases