Handlebar muffs - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Rider's Gear

Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Old 11-05-2012, 01:24 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys
Default Handlebar muffs

Has anyone tried these handlebar muffs?
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/oxfor...or-motorcycles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Weijo had and used them. I plan on purchasing some for this winter, but so far my gloves have been adequate.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

You need to have handle bar guards to hold them off the levers and the guards need to be small enough to fit inside them.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Consider the Moose Racing foam wind deflectors, if you are looking for wind blockage, more than total warmth. Universal fit, not to expensive. They need support, however(barkbusters, for example). The wind will push them onto the levers at speed, otherwise. Then your friends will wonder why you ride with the brakes on all the time. You can surmize how I know this.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Thanks guys. I had also been considering Barkbuster Storms of Acerbis Storms. I guess that for more warmth I could take the plastic off the handguards and put these over the backbone. On my KLR the stock handguards did pretty well with winter gloves.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:02 AM

These fit over the plastics of handguards.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 PM

I had them without any hand guards. They didn't work so well as far as controls etc. go. I was afraid the right side one would accidently hit my kill switch. Not what I want to have happen at 70mph. They also didn't work so well for keeping my hands warm enough, even with lined gloves and glove liners. My commute temps were mostly in the low to mid 40s. I went with heated gloves instead and that was a way better option for me.
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
Old 11-08-2012, 01:31 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

My experience is hand guards have a negligible effect on warmth. They look nice and are great for crash protection though.

Insulated winter motorcycle gloves are a lot better investment if warmth is the goal. Even Oxford heated grips which are only about $70 for the complete kit including controller.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
My experience is hand guards have a negligible effect on warmth. They look nice and are great for crash protection though....
Seems a PDG reason to have them to me...! (Though I find that removing the plastic pieces from the aluminum bar in warm weather increases the cooling, while the reverse in cold weather is also true.)

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS View Post
Thanks guys. I had also been considering Barkbuster Storms of Acerbis Storms. I guess that for more warmth I could take the plastic off the handguards and put these over the backbone.
You could even make a simple partial frame for them from a bit of coathanger. Bolting them into place through the bar end might work too.

I've tried the Oxford muffs on two bikes without handguards, and the muffs pushing on the levers at speed wasn't quite acceptable, Big difference in keeping hands warm & dry though. Muffs plus heated grips should be cozy in cold weather, even with light gloves.

I use heated gloves + heated grips instead.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:25 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

I have a pair of heated liners. Lot cheaper than heated gloves and since I already have a pair of cold weather gloves there was no point on another pair. They work very well.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Default Heated grips!

I've tried almost everything type of package to stay warm, heated grips and gloves are the best ticket.
1984 Suzuki GS1150es
1986 Kawasaki KX250
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600r
1988 Yamaha FZR400
1994 Honda XR650l
2000 Kawasaki KLX300r Street Legal!
Current ride 2009 Kawasaki Versys.

If your going too fast...your Going to crash!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:57 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys
Default Inelegant, inexpensive, effective cold-weather handguards

Knees, knuckles, what's the difference?

Someday, perhaps, I will find a way to justify the expense of an actual set of handguards and/or heated handgrips for my Versys. Spending winters in usually warm locales, however, I rarely need more than Thinsulate-lined waterproof winter gloves from such trendy suppliers as ... oh ... say ... Cycle Gear. It was 37 degrees this morning when I left White Springs, Florida; by the time I reached the outskirts of Jacksonville, my fingertips were numb and creeping toward downright painful.

In desperation, I stopped at a Tractor Supply store and found a pair of $9 CLC (Custom Leather Craft) "Durable Foam Kneepads." In a parking-lot re-invention session, I removed the lower hook-and-loop straps from the kneepads and used only the upper mounting straps. Wrapping one strap around the brake-fluid reservoir at the throttle-end of the bars, and around Speedy's mirror extender at the clutch-end, I was able to secure the kneepads, now knucklepads, and complete the ride under conditions vastly improved. Even at 70 mph, my temporary cold-weather handguards did not flutter or crowd the brake and clutch levers. The straps did not interfere with other controls at the stems.

Inelegant, to be sure, but sufficient for the rare times I need such protection. Oh! I did remove the tag. Just left it there for anyone seeking same item.

Toasty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cold-weather handguards.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	16507  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM

These are the ones i use.
Amazon Amazon

IMG_0622 by weljo2001, on Flickr

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 AM

This is on my KLE. I cut a small hole in the muff and screw the bar end weight through the hole to help keep the muff in place.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post
Knees, knuckles, what's the difference?

In desperation, I stopped at a Tractor Supply store and found a pair of $9 CLC (Custom Leather Craft) "Durable Foam Kneepads." In a parking-lot re-invention session, I removed the lower hook-and-loop straps from the kneepads and used only the upper mounting straps. Wrapping one strap around the brake-fluid reservoir at the throttle-end of the bars, and around Speedy's mirror extender at the clutch-end, I was able to secure the kneepads, now knucklepads, and complete the ride under conditions vastly improved. Even at 70 mph, my temporary cold-weather handguards did not flutter or crowd the brake and clutch levers. The straps did not interfere with other controls at the stems.

Inelegant, to be sure, but sufficient for the rare times I need such protection. Oh! I did remove the tag. Just left it there for anyone seeking same item.

Toasty!
Desperation is the mother of invention. I love that McGiver approach, or would that be Walter Mitty? Whatever it takes. I hate cold and my hands suffer the worst. I have Gerbing heated gloves and my hands still need more protection in really cold weather (near freezing). Heated grips are useless with Grip Puppies, which I will not give up.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS View Post
Has anyone tried these handlebar muffs?
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/oxfor...or-motorcycles
Not this particular brand, but I tried a pair last year and did not like them for 2 reasons:

1. UGLY to look at from the front, side, or back!
2. Hindrance to some controls on the handle bars.

My solution was to get handguards, and good pair of winter gloves.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
2. Hindrance to some controls on the handle bars.

My solution was to get handguards, and good pair of winter gloves.
I never noticed that issue but they wouldn't stay in place and off the levers without hand guards. And neither of the bikes I tried them on had hand guards. Thought about bolting them to the bar ends (like Throttled did) but wanted to be able to remove them quickly. Now that I have hand guards on the Versys I may try them again, if the cold weather returns. Especially since my heated jacket liner's power to my gloves has failed again.

Last edited by davidg; 03-17-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 PM

I rode from Phoenix to Denver in January and used a pair of Ducks Unlimited hand muffs. I didn't have any bark busters and they didn't light up my tail light even at more than highway speed. I did ride with my left hand covering the clutch just in case though. I don't think I could have made the trip without them, it got down to 14 degrees a few times. I also had a heated vest under layers of warm gear. YMMV.

So many bikes, so little dinero
Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

So just to clarify; do the Oxford Muffs fit over the plastics of Barkbuster Storms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement