Oil change interval by mileage or time? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
Spend a little time here -- make sure you watch the "oil change myths" video.
People certainly like to believe "expert" opinions on oil change intervals. In my experience manufacturer recommendations and "expert" opinions have been refuted by used oil analysis. Sometimes used oil analysis confirms the recommendations. But blindly following them is a bit optimistic.

If you don't want to have your own oil analyzed, you can learn more by seeing how various oils hold up for others in similar vehicles to yours than you can from listening to "experts" who tell you to follow the manufacturer recommendations.

Search here and you may find reports for your vehicles:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...p?ubb=cfrm&c=5

Last edited by davidg; 10-28-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 11:21 AM

Attached Files
File Type: pdf kawasaki_versys page 15.pdf (17.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 PM

Used oil analysis is certainly definitive. But it's like a "cause of death" indicator, if you are actually having problems. And there are many different type of used oil analysis. What info are you looking for? Would you know what to do with it if you got it?

Who has the resources to have their used oil analyzed every time their oil gets changed? If you do, then good on ya... you're certainly in an infinitesimally small minority. For those that can't - or won't - be bothered... there are literally millions of road vehicles that have average owners that change their engine oil on the schedule recommended by the manufacturer... both of the oil and the engine... there's a reason for that, and you don't see oil-related engine failures because of that simple fact.

And ya, manuals are written with input from engineers. Of course they are.

Bobistheoilguy...

Bob is not the oil guy. Bob is an oil guy. And unless Bob is your oil guy, and he's paying for your maintenance on your bike, take his word - and the word of contributors to his site - with a grain of salt. Do your own research, until you understand the subject. Your use of your engine in your area is unique. There's some good info on his site, but it isn't all absolutely true.

Do what the manufacturer says, and you'll statistically be with the majority of people doing what is safe and right for your engine! If you are doing something like severe dirty/dusty/cold/hot service, or racing, or something else not covered by the recommendations in the manual for an average user, then change more often! Use synthetic! No requirement for used engine oil analysis for the average user. But hey, you got the time and the cash and the smarts, go for it.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
The manual actually says every 12500km for oil and filter change.
I was wondering if it was a misprint or something. When I told that to my mechanic (not a kawa dealer), his reaction was no way you want to wait 12500km between oil changes! He suggested every 5000km just to oil and filter every 10000km. He said there was a recall on some Yamaha V-stars and he had to open like 40 engines, he said it was obvious those that had a regular oil change and those that didnt bother much with it...

I think thats what I'll do, oil every 5k and filter every 10k.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor zero View Post
Bob is not the oil guy. Bob is an oil guy. And unless Bob is your oil guy, and he's paying for your maintenance on your bike, take his word - and the word of contributors to his site - with a grain of salt. Do your own research, until you understand the subject. Your use of your engine in your area is unique. There's some good info on his site, but it isn't all absolutely true.
The link I posted on bobistheoilguy was to the forum where people post their used oil analyses. In many of the UOAs the oil is not fit for the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval. In some they are. Doubt them all you like.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 PM

Everybody has their way. I change it every 2,000 miles oil and filter. I use 10W40 dino oil. I do change the oil before putting the bike away for the winter because like envader says there is an acid build up in the oil as a by produce of combustion. I have seen what it can do to an OLD engine with lots of miles on the oil that has sat for months or even years. It eats tracks in the plain bearings like worms.

The bike holds 2 quarts. With a $3.00 filter it costs me less than $10.00 to change the oil and filter.

My 99 F350 diesel holds 16 quarts so I change it every 7,000 to 10,000 miles.

I have a few BMW bikes also. They get changed 3,000 dino oil and filter. Two hold 4 quarts, one holds 3.

Do what ever makes you feel the best. I feel great knowing I have clean air, clean oil and clean fuel.

David
Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 AM

I had the oil changed this morning at 6750km (bought the bike at 4000km and first oil change was done at 1500km by previous owner). I must say I noticed a difference, as crazy as it may sound, engine feels smoother and so does the shifter (thought it went well before). I decide to go with oil and filter change every 6000km. I'm planning on putting a lot of milleage on this bike, and considering what it cost for the extra oil change, I think it's worth it. And now oil is fresh and bike ready to be stored in about 2 weeks...
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Smoother shifting....

Yesterday I adjusted the clutch on BIG RED for the first time since I changed the adjustment the dealer had done when it was set-up (from dis-engagement point FAR from the bars to a more normal mid-point on the lever's travel) back in September 2008.

BIG RED has 36,800 miles on her, and shifting, including the first-gear "clunk", was getting a bit 'notchy', and I thought I could sense that it was trying to move while the clutch-lever was pulled (clutch NOT fully dis-engaged). I loosened the 'locking' wheel, then turned out the adjuster a couple of turns so now it's WAY-Y-Y smoother again.

Might work for some of you....

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement