Can't take the seat anymore!! Need advice. - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatefriday View Post
I think the problem with the forward slope and the tailbone is that when you slide forward all of the flesh down there rotates up and back right into the tailbone. So while some people get ball crushing, others get ball crushing in addition to tailbone pain as the whole thing is rotated around.

I've found that compression underwear (lycra cycling shorts (worn commando)) sort of work to lessen the pressure from rotation.

I'm 5'10" and 149 lbs. I'm planning on getting the lowering kit which would then allow me to go with a slightly taller seat.
Is that the problem you were having or are you just guessing. My tailbone issue came from the hump leading to the passenger part of the seat. For me to be comfortable I was pushing against that hump and it was pushing on my tailbone. I personally like the forward slope of the seat because I ride the Versys as a sport touring/adventure bike, and leaning forward helps you manuever on the twisties better.

If you are trying to sit straight up on the seat you are definitely sitting on the wrong part of your derriere, and will probably want a corbin seat or something cut similar.
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 AM

I suggested placing a two-inch thick firm foam in the forward four inches of the seat to raise the front. I did it for comfort. It also makes the seat somewhat like a bucket seat and stops the slide forward.

I also tried the AirHawk R cushion under the cover and it didn't work for me. Stretching the cover over the cushion stops the air from moving around as it's supposed to do. I also tried one of the medium AirHawk touring seats (before I tried the AirHawk R) and didn't like it. So, I was pleasantly surprised when the AirHawk R, on top of the seat, worked so well. You may not like the way it looks, but it is very comfortable, at least for me it was.

Last edited by ScottyNeal; 11-04-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:52 PM

+1 And you can take it off easily for another bike or whatever! The way a person stops the forward slope doesn't matter as long as you do it!

The Air Hawk for me is the very best!

I have no further issues after hours of riding!

Your junk, tailbone, arse, back, do youself right and get an Air Hawk.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:17 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Is that the problem you were having or are you just guessing. My tailbone issue came from the hump leading to the passenger part of the seat. For me to be comfortable I was pushing against that hump and it was pushing on my tailbone. I personally like the forward slope of the seat because I ride the Versys as a sport touring/adventure bike, and leaning forward helps you manuever on the twisties better.

If you are trying to sit straight up on the seat you are definitely sitting on the wrong part of your derriere, and will probably want a corbin seat or something cut similar.
Im 5'7" with 29" inseam. I got my 08 with the low gel seat. The same tailbone issue due to the pressure from the back of the seat and the vibes traveling along the seat through my lower back. The airhawk made a very big difference. I went from three to four hour saddle time per day before back pain force me into large doses of advil or off the bike to over eight hours. Still not 100% happy but the solution is good enough except for the longest most grueling rides. Not planning an IB ride so no need to shell out any more money on a custom seat. Compresion pants also help a lot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Not guessing. About 600 miles of analysis now. I'm rather slender and don't find myself pushing against the hump. The ergonomics of the bike don't really lend themselves to me pushing a forward lean.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
Tenover,
I'm 5' 8", 29" inseam, 180 lbs; and have tried dozens of combinations to get a more comfortable and low seat. I finally found a great solution, with an easy seat-mod plus the AirHawk R cushion. I described it in another thread, but the solution is so simple, I'll just describe it again.

First, order an AirHawk R seat cushion ($160). When it arrives, blow it up (by mouth is fine) then leave the air-cock open and let all the excess air out. When stable, tighten the plug so no more air can escape.

Next, remove the staples from the front half of the seat. Pull the cover back and remove all the stock foam - it will just peel away. Next, using either the stock foam or some other firm foam, cut a 2" thick piece to fit the front four inches of the seat - to raise it up to stop the slide forward. Taper it so that it flows into the seat base. Next pull the cover back in place, but do not staple it yet. Place the AirHawk R cushion on top, in the middle of where you'll sit. Put the bike on a rear stand, place the AirHawk R cushion on the bike. Climb on and sit. See how it feels. If it doesn't feel right, analyze what it needs (for example, more/less cushion in front, etc). Move the AirHawk cushion forward and backward till you like how it feels. Once it seems to fit your butt properly, remove the AirHawk R cushion, pull the cover tightly and staple back in place. Works well to pull each side in place with a couple of staples and slowly work your way forward, pulling the cover then stapling. If a problem occurs, remove some staples and start over.

When the cover is stapled in place, place the AirHawk R cushion where you think it should go, sit on it again and put the straps in place. Then turn the seat over and put a staple in each strap to hold them in place and up in the seat bottom.

If there's any doubt about comfort, take the bike for a little ride. As you move around, the air will move and give support to whatever portion of your butt is applying the most pressure.

I found this arrangement to be very comfortable. I can now ride long enough that my brain and back get too tired to ride, while my butt is still ready to go. I have a personal limit of two hours of riding without a safety rest stop.

However, I did find that, initially, my butt was a little tender from my prior riding. So, give your butt a day or two to rest before starting this project. This entire job can be done in a couple of hours, if you have the AirHawk R cushion, and a staple gun and staples before starting.

BTW, the cushion has an unusual feeling as you move around. It seems to move around under you. In fact, that seems to be the reason it works. It provides the most support under the portion of your butt that's pressing hardest. Be patient, and give it a thorough test. Worst case, you hate it; replace the stock foam and sell the cushion. If your like me, the cushion will rate up like Michelin PR3 tires, that had a huge positive impact on how I view my V (I have the "green" 09V). Always fast, and now has a very comfortable seat. BTW, I also increased the comfort by changing springs and shock. That's another story, if you're interested.

Good Luck!
Interesting ... !

Good write up !

LOP
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatefriday View Post
Not guessing. About 600 miles of analysis now. I'm rather slender and don't find myself pushing against the hump. The ergonomics of the bike don't really lend themselves to me pushing a forward lean.
IF you push back on the seat you will lean forward unless you have very long arms. On my custom seat I have no tailbone issues at all so I know my issues came from the passenger hump.
Advertisement