Cowling Buzz Resolved (Unexpected Culprit) - Page 7 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 11-04-2012, 02:08 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsterofall View Post
I dug deep into the spedometer for my own sanity and resolved the "baby rattle" noise that was driving me crazy. See pictures. If you gently pry the tachometer needle off and use a flat head screwdriver under the plastic plate you can view almost everything, unfortunately this didn't uncover any thing. As a last resort I took out the dremel tool and cut away the top right corner of the plastic that encases the LCD. Still didn't see anything, and rattle still persisted. However; as I was shaking it, and thankfully I held it just right and the noise stopped. For some reason if you pinch the top and bottom towards each other it must snug up the LCD in some way. I took some gorilla tape and a screw for good measure and wrapped the tape which applies pressure "simulates pinching the top and bottom of the spedo" and problem solved. I think I had to cut away all the plastic for it to flex enough and create the solution. I know this is a bold move and you risk breaking the spedo doing this, but my sanity was on the line!

Combine this with the straw idea around the pushbuttons, the weather stripping in various spots and I finally have a quite ride, even with the givi windshield on, I once again love my Versys. Hopefully all the pics load!
I did almost the same thing, except i didn't cut away any material, i found that the source of this buzz was a little clear plastic peice behind the lcd screen. you can barely get to it through the plastic surrounding the backside of the screen. my guess is that it is meant evenly distributes the backlight for the lcd screen. all i did was let a little superglue drip in the holes in the plastic speedo housing (where the back side of the LCD screen is) then i just held it so that the glue would run along the edges, seems to work pretty well. and my guess is that they were supposed to be held on from that factory and maybe the glue holds on some bikes and not others. it seems like a hard job, but it really wasn't, if i had to do it again i would guess it would take about less than an hour from start to finish. most of that would be spent removing and installing the speedo on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 10:02 PM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

This thread brings back some memories of tearing a brand new bike to absolute pieces only to reassemble it and find it still buzzed but from a whole new location. My sympathies to all..
Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 PM

2005 BMW R1200GS
Default Did the Mod Today and Added My Own Touch

did the Mod today to remove the Buzz.....took it one step further though.

I noticed that the speedometer unit was just sitting in the case with no padding or support. I went to THD and bought 18 tiny O-Rings that fit the screws perfectly and tight. I put them on each side of the speedometer before putting them into the case and securing it.

Whether this helps any more or not.....I don't know, but I read some other posts that people were convinced that the OP mod didn't totally work and they thought something else was rattling behind the plastic case. Figured I'd give it a go. Works so far ......hopefully both mods will last and I won't have to crack open the case again.

I'd like to add that I have the best looking Versys and will be posting pictures tomorrow after I take a few

Thank you,

Choppastyle
Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I'm definitely going to have to look into this because, mine drives me crazy too!! I hate vibration noises.

Barkbusters, Chrome helmet locks, GPS mount, Pyramid Fender Extender, LED accessory lights,
JT 42T rear sprocket, Givi V35 PLX sidecases, Coocase V36 Topcase, SW-Motech mirror wideners, Superbike GX mirrors, MRA VarioTouringScreen, ROX Anti-vibe Risers, T-Rex sliders, SW Motech engine guards, Motowerks Lowering Link
DNLP D616 120/70ZR17 front
DNLP D616 180/55ZR17 rear

The rest is
Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 PM

I had my cowling off today to install my headlight modulator and folded some strips of duct tape(sticky side out) and applied them to the inside of the cowling just above where it meets the instrument cluster. No more buzz.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 PM

My 2011 now has 4100 mi on it. The first buzz started at 400 fixed it second time 2500 each time I have fixed a couple of different places that caused the buzz. Last time tore the cluster down did all the fixes. It always seems to work for about 1500 miles and away it goes again. It's the cluster again.
Can't believe Kawi can build something this cheesy. My brother bought a new 650 strom. 1000 mi on it rock solid and smooth. I think I see one in my future.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:23 AM

I have fixed the tab on my dash but still have buzzing between 4 and 5k RPM. No idea where it is coming from.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Old 06-24-2013, 04:06 PM

Just did this fix to my 2011 Versys. I'm not sure why it started buzzing after 4k but it was getting ridiculous. Decided to give this a shot and presto! No more buzz.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:13 PM

2009 Kawasaki KLE650 VERSYS

You're all a patient bunch. I can't actually believe that Kawasaki doesn't read these forum messages. Think about it. If they actually cared about customer satisfaction and wanted to get buyer feedback then they would check this forum daily. If they did that then they would be aware of the problem's existence since they started building this model. Not only did they not fix the problem with the initial design but even the new version has the same buzzz.

KAWASAKI DOESN'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK. IT'S A GREAT BIKE BUT THIS ANNOYING BUZZ HAS NEVER BEEN A CONCERN TO KAWASAKI OTHERWISE THEY WOULD HAVE FIXED IT WHEN THEY REDESIGNED THE NEW VERSION.

I appreciate everyone trying to solve the problem but unless I'm wrong nobody has completely eliminated the buzz on a long term basis. I fixed mine and it lasted a few days. It always comes back. Sorry if I'm raining on your parade but it's a sad day when you finally realize that the company who created this great bike just doesn't care.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:26 AM

That's the reason I will never buy Kawasaki again ;(
Old 06-25-2013, 08:07 AM

My fix lasted several years and just recently came back. Minor nuisance compared to issues much higher $ bikes suffer.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
You're all a patient bunch. I can't actually believe that Kawasaki doesn't read these forum messages. Think about it. If they actually cared about customer satisfaction and wanted to get buyer feedback then they would check this forum daily. If they did that then they would be aware of the problem's existence since they started building this model. Not only did they not fix the problem with the initial design but even the new version has the same buzzz.

KAWASAKI DOESN'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK. IT'S A GREAT BIKE BUT THIS ANNOYING BUZZ HAS NEVER BEEN A CONCERN TO KAWASAKI OTHERWISE THEY WOULD HAVE FIXED IT WHEN THEY REDESIGNED THE NEW VERSION.

I appreciate everyone trying to solve the problem but unless I'm wrong nobody has completely eliminated the buzz on a long term basis. I fixed mine and it lasted a few days. It always comes back. Sorry if I'm raining on your parade but it's a sad day when you finally realize that the company who created this great bike just doesn't care.
+1. A very, very good post. Something to think about, Ma Kawwi
Old 06-25-2013, 01:19 PM

One answer is to turn it into a naked streetfighter. Just keep taking stuff off until the buzzing stops.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:28 PM

Default Cluster buzzing still!

OK, I have done this repair with the shrink tubing on the buttons....There is still a rattle when I shake the cluster. I can not get the cluster separated from the printed circuit board because of the header that is soldered in place. Does anybody know how to separate the the two peices without damaging anything? I know the rattle is the source of my buzz! UGH, driving me nuts!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:05 AM

Oh I always thought that was the way it was supposed to be. Sort of like when I was a kid and would stick playing cards in the spokes of my bike.

Since the exhaust is so hushed - it kind of makes the V sound more imposing. ;-)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-08-2013, 08:01 AM

I took the side fairing off to paint parts of it. When I put it back on the buzz hand gone. For me the culprits were where the tabs where A clips into B.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement