Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New Skidplate for Versys

15K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  twistedthrottle 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

This week, we verified that the SW-MOTECH skidplate designed for the 2010 Versys also fits the previous generation Kawasaki Versys. We want to send a special thanks out to our friend from North Kingstown who lent us his bike for testing.

This engine guard can be found at:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5482/577 edit:updated link - it was broken - Sorry!

Ride Safe
Twisted Throttle

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Does this skid plate need for the plastic lowers to be removed?

#8 · (Edited)
SW-Motech's (and others') skid plate doesn't go back that far. Access to oil drain bolt and muffler clamp is not affected... Made of 3 mm thick brushed aluminum with vibration dampened mounts and countersunk washers and screws, it's mounted to the weak lower plastic cover mounts, and also to front motor mount bolts with included extensions. It can't be installed along with the lower plastic covers.

#12 ·
All I have gotten is the run-around from Twisted Throttle on this item. Cannot get a straight answer to save our lives.

Was told in August they would have them on or around September 27. Now we are at November 1 and they still don't have them and don't know when they'll get them. They claim they came in a month ago but now they're "trying to figure out the price". Can you imagine?

There must be a problem with the item or the shipment but they won't give up the real story. Very disappointing.

Why would you come on a user forum and say you have a new product for our bikes and then never offer them for sale? Sheesh!!

Now I'm not even sure I would buy one, or anything from them - they're starting to look like shady characters. And NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!

#16 ·
Just went on the site, and looked at the skid plate. It says nothing about not being ready to ship. I put it in the cart and went all the way to the last part of checkout. Did not want to buy it so didnt choose to checkout.

The 1 problem I have had with a order from them, was handeled great, with them shipping me new parts.

#13 ·
"Skid Plate" Looks OK for flying rocks. With the way its mounted, what would happen if you were to have full rider weight plus bike weight (650#) bottom out on a nice rock outcropping. Bikes without down tubes are disadvantaged in bottom protection.

#15 · (Edited)
Hummm Not sure about this one. To get full protection for your side-cases, water-pump, etc., etc. your still going to need to also have the crash bars and then there is the issue of removing it each time for oil changes. It looks good but $219.00 is a set of tires.$$$$$$ It also appears that the brackets that are use to mount the plate are pretty easy to bend so if you ever did really bash the thing on a rock it would collapse. I’m going to hold out and see what else pops up.

#18 ·
Same here. They answered email inquiries quick and were specific with thier answers. Left no questions for me.The stuff does ship from Germany I believe.

Sorry to hear you are having a problem!

#19 ·
I received mine last week and put it on this weekend. I ordered it the last week in August and they told me from day one that it would be at least a month to 6 weeks. They order all the SW Motech stuff from Germany and it comes via container.

It is a very well made unit and I like the two tone. It makes the transition from black to silver as it leaves the motor and surrounds the muffler. Kind of blends in. It does require that you remove the plastic lowers and their mounting brackets. A earlier post indicated that you used the existing brackets. Not so. They have 3/16" or so plate supports that bolt to the motor frame in front and the through bolt in back. They are the same connection points that are used for the crash bars. Very strong with good rubber grommets to minimize vibes.

As far as the oil changes. I use a filter that has a nut on the end (K&N) so I think you could probably do it with it on. But, I don't think I will. I'd just undo 6 of the 8 bolts and let it swivel down on the other 2.

Pricey? Yeah. Quality and fit. Top notch.

I too have had good luck with Twisted Throttle. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

If anyone wants some specifics or measurements just let me know.

#23 ·
In all my conversations with them, not once did they offer to sell me one. I see Haydenkd got his, I just don't get it. I even offered to get on a backorder list, send a deposit, place an order - nothing was offered back. Just kept getting put off and put off, another week, another week, a few more days, that's all I heard. Yes, their replies were polite, I call them politically correct. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.