Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Twisted Throttle ADV Moto Versys - Very Cool

12K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  Nodaclu 
#1 ·
See less See more
#9 ·
The black and red color scheme looks awesome. I have a red versys and have been thinking about painting the wheels black. Based on this bike I think it would look good. I'd love to switch to spoke wheels like this bike but am guessing that it would be an expensive switch

#10 ·
I like the ergonomics and extra suspension travel of bikes like the V, Tiger, GS, etc but.... where in North America with the exception of unpopulated northern Canada or Alaska or maybe the desert in Nevada/CA can you take a trip that involves long stretches of off pavement travel. All the dirt roads in my province seem to be 1-2km long and dead end. Bikes like this or the GS, etc. would seem ideal if you are crossing Africa but where in NA can you ride like that?

#14 ·
I like it, but then again I should sine I have about 80% of those farkles on my V. Spoke wheels look nice but I don't think I'm ready to pony up the money for those.

#22 ·
Yup 1600 is a lot of coin :eek:

I am trying to justify it with the concept that my used Versys was at least 1000 less than a comparable year/condition/mileage Strom.
With those wheels the Versys should be at least as capable if not more so than the Strom.
When I had my Strom I would easily have paid $600 to have a separate set of spoked wheels set up with knobbies on them.

I have almost got myself convinced, but still strugging.

#24 ·
If I could afford another green '09 I would love to dual-sport it out. Two bikes would be cool! What would you call more than one? Versi? Versyses? Verseeeees? A whole stinkin' lotta fun, thats what!!

~ Wes

#25 ·
As others have said...it would be far better (and certainly more economical) if Kawasaki responded to the popularity of "dual sport/dual purpose" motorcycles with a Versys ADV model.

As most experienced riders know...it takes a lot more than spoked wheels to significantly improve the suitability of the V for off-pavement riding. Personally, I'd opt for adding a KLR to the garage before spending more money to enhance my Versys.

#27 ·
The spoked wheels are a hard pill to swallow but...

1) They aren't for everyone. If you don't spend all that much time on dirt, then keep the 17's... they're perfectly good wheels.
2) There is no replacing the larger wheels/tire setup it has now. It rolls over rough surfaces smoothly and (with the new tires) a lot more grip. Only you know if you need this or not.
3) A point can be made about having these options available from the manufacturer. Moves like this in manufacturing are often complex but I'm sure some folks would pay and extra 1,200 bucks for, oh lets say,1.5" more inches of travel and 19 or 21" front spoked wheel? With the right suspension and the given reliability of the motor, this would be a hard bike to beat for 8.5k off the showroom floor. Imagine all the extra "Versytility!"

CC

#30 ·
Will do. Looks like my trip for next spring is delayed temporarily. Sadly the want is more than funds will allow for a bit. Extracurricular functions for my oldest daughter are taking precedence for the short term. Working on securing a part time job to buffer the trip fund. Teenagers are expensive.

But there is so much to explore around me that I could have some cheap adventures locally in the short term.

#31 ·
im going with the spoked wheels next year, with suspension upgrades. I do 4-500kms on dirt and owned a klr, but I do most of my riding on the blacktop. the versys won out. The KLR is a fine bike for slow speed roads, but not ideal for eating up milage on the road. the versys is great at 600-1000km days from the floor, but needs a little help on dirt. ordering this wheel setup and suspension, I can go back and forth then. street tires on stockers, dirt tires on the laced wheels, and best of both worlds.

#32 ·
I thought of going down the path of this sort of mod until I realised that the position of the air filter makes it a pointless exercise for anyone living in a dry, dusty place. I'd rather ride a proper dirt bike off road and be able clean the filter in just a few minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.