Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Helmet's.. who likes what?

33K views 117 replies 66 participants last post by  AttilaTheHun 
#1 ·
I absolutely love my Arai XD3 dual sport helmet. So i'm gonna put a post up and rave a bit about my favourite helmet for the Versys... It just seems to suit the Versys look and purpose.. On different bikes I don't wear it as much but that depends on how far I'm going on a dirt ride too.
I've had it now since it first came out here which I bought from the US on Ebay after trying it on here in Oz. I saved $229au shipped so bought a dark tint visor and still was cheaper by $100.

I've been thrilled by the comfort and ear comfort over a long day riding... and it is the quietest helmet I have second to nothing I've ever experienced before full stop. That's a bold true statement itself!!

For wind blast concerning the peak it is the most aerodynamic helmet I've encountered in it's field so far and I've tried them all now that have come to Australia so far as I have a few friends at the shops who will let me take them out for 15 minutes while no-ones watching to try out..

I brought a 2005 Blade and thought I'd speed test this helmet for a bit of personel interest and at 255km/h at true GPS speed it was so stable I was staggered how well Arai wind tunnel tested and developed it.. It doesn't push your nose flat on the visor either when riding at these speeds..

It looks great, is very water proof from up neck filtering in the rain with my MRA Variable screen riding my Versys (I'm under 6 foot by 2 inches), has heaps of skins to choose from and the inner liners last very well indeed. Love this one big time..

Tell us your favourite we all have different heads and likes in a helmet.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Hey CAP.....have you seen/heard about the newest member of the EXO family??
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-r2000-helmet-solids
Sounds pretty sweet!!!
I had not heard about this one. 2 things I already do not like about it (for me)..

1. No inner flip down sun visor.
2. It is designed for sport riding (forward lean). The angle of attack would bring to much air under the chin.

The EXO1000 is designed for sport touring and the upright riding position.

Thanks for the link though! :thumb: I enjoy checking out new stuff!

#5 ·
I have the Scorpion EXO-900 in neon and it's the best helmet I've ever owned. Being a modular (flip up) helmet it's easier to put on and take off. The flip down internal sun shade is perfect for touring as I don't need to squeeze on a pair of sunglasses. The air flow system actually works unlike most helmets I've tried. The neon color is very bright and when worn with my neon Joe Rocket textile jacket I am impossible to miss seeing. This helmet also comes with a matching peak so it can convert to an open face. The fit is also adjustable thanks to a "cheek area bladder" that pumps up to fit your face.

#11 ·
I love my Arai XD3... I bought it specifically because of the peak/visor due to my my aversion to direct sun in my eyes (50+ years of baseball caps, I guess...) and it's been perfect for me and my V. I get by with a medium. I wear eyeglasses and have no problems in that regard.

#21 · (Edited)
I just picked one up and I really like it, but I haven't really had a chance to ride with it yet ... darn snow.

I know fit is personal but for me it feels great.

The flip down visor should come in handy. This is my first helmet with one but I think I'm going to like it. The nose cutout is a little big though.

In my price range, it was also rated at the top for impact and the chin bar staying latched.

Mitch

#20 · (Edited)
I'm on my third Nolan modular (N100E, N102, N103). Most importantly, they fit my head. I suffered with Shoei helmets for a few years and a Nava before that because these were what the local shop sold. Major pressure point on my forehead...ouch! (Your head shape may vary.)

Then I saw a story on a moto forum about helmet brand and head shape. That led me to try a Nolan. I would not hesitate to buy another Nolan.

I got a couple helmets from Rider for a product test (I had to install a helmet comm system into supplied helmets; here if you care to read it). I found the Scorpion to be a torture chamber in my size (M). I turned around and went home after about 20 minutes because it hurt so much. I would like to have tried a size L but that wasn't happening. There was an internal flip-down sun visor in the Scorpion that worked beautifully, better than the one in the Nolan.

I also got to try a brand from Italy called Vemar which I liked. The shell is a carbon fiber composite, very strong and light. It has the "Eclipse" paint which is phosphorescent and glows green. Cool idea. I wish the glow effect lasted longer, but I expect if you were out riding all day in the sun it would make you glow for a while after dark. Very plush inside and it came with two visors (clear and smoke), although you have to stop and swap them.

My advice is to get a helmet that fits comfortably so (a) you always wear it, and (b) it doesn't distract or fatigue you. You won't know how well a helmet fits until you try it on!

I used to get helmets to match the color of my bike, but I discovered that was like camouflage. I've spent enough time riding sweep in group rides to believe that you'll stand out best wearing a solid color helmet in white or perhaps yellow. I expect the high viz ones I'm starting to see are good choices, too.

#23 ·
It's true, fit is most important. I would like to expand the thought of trying a helmet on before buying and say that you really need to ride with a helmet before buying. I know that's not usually possible but if you can, it's important. The AFX I had fit me great while standing up and walking around but when I got into riding position it made me feel like a **** dog because it pushed my brow down over my eyes.
I've had a couple Hi-Vis helmets (Bell, AFX). Be aware that the hi-vis has a tendency to fade and get dull rather quickly.

#22 ·
I'm on my 4th helmet, 3rd Shoei, and 2nd RF1000. I've been really happy with it. It's not perfect (bit too round for my headshape but still workable, noisy on the V), but build quality and comfort are outstanding. Fogs pretty easily, though. It's been superseded now by the RF1100, but I think might give something else a try next time around. Sorely tempted by the Qwests on clearance at MotorcycleGear.com, or may give Arai a chance if I'm feeling flush when new helmet time well and truly comes around (still a couple more years barring disaster).

#33 ·
+ 1 for Shoei. The Qwest is advertised as the quietest helmet on the market right now, and I think it's pretty amazing. I have a couple of Scorpions but they aren't very quiet and the venting is pretty sucky. BUT, for the money I think Scorpion is the best bang for the buck.

#37 ·
Well, since nobody else has, let me throw in another option. I have been shopping around and trying on helmets because I'm due for a new helmet this year, and I've decided my next one is going to be a Bell RS-1. Bell has greatly upped its game in recent years under new direction, and the RS-1, the middle line, seems like the best buy to me (and it is the best fit for me, too). It is just about indistinguishable from Bell's top-of-the-line helmet.

The other attractive point is that Bell has the Transitions faceshield which reputedly is the first photosensitive shield that really works. I wear a tinted faceshield all summer, to avoid the need for sunglasses and to keep my nose from getting badly burned (plus it looks cool). But that means carrying an extra clear shield if there's any chance I'll be out after sunset. The Transitions shield is twice the price of a tinted shield for my current AGV helmet, but I can justify it because it's like getting two shields in one. And no need to stop and change it.

The only drawback is I'm not totally in love with any of the graphics currently on offer.

#38 ·
I fitted the Hyper Optics, fog city, visor insert to my Arai helmet. This is a photosensitive insert that fits like a pin lock insert. It has an adhesive silicon bead around the outside edge of the insert and sticks to the inside of the visor.i found the insert great with anti fog and the photosensitive operation fine. At 39.00 NZD - approx 32.00 I found good value. Only drawback is it is not a pin lock system, but I suppose if you left the film over the adheasive bead you could remove it. I think they may make a pin lock version. I will check it out.

#41 ·
Helmet shopping is always awful. I like modular helmets, because of everyday riding. Shoei fits nicely, but does not meet my quality expectiations. Schuberth is either a bit to large or a lot to small. So now I'm stuck with a Schuberth C2 that was a bit on the large side when it was new - 5 years ago.

I really appreciate the pinlock visor and the quite and warmth inside the helmet, so I have a hard time accepting anything less than Schuberth. Which is awful.:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.