Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New Bike, New Mods

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  ray h 
#1 ·
Had my new bike for a few weeks & love it to bits. However with a 28" inside leg I need to lower it. There are a few suppliers of lowering kits in the UK, but the Motowerks kit looks better quality?

#2 ·
:welcome: from Seattle. I'm 5'6" with about a 29" inseam. While I'm not flat footed, I can at least have the balls of my feet down on both sides. Moto Werks lowering kit is a non adjustable kit, but works well and once the forks are dropped as suggested, the total drop will be just over 1 3/4 in. Check it out at http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Standar...-LK-STD-R2.htm . Select the one for your motorcycle: ie, year of motorcycle and ABS or not.

The instructions are available on line at the same site for your perusal. A new side stand foot will come with the kit and the stand must be shortened to accommodate this foot. The Moto Werks kit is well built and works well. I've been running mine for about 22k miles.

#8 ·
Papadage......I have to admit to scrapping a peg once after I had lowered the m/c, but I was riding really hard and it was a sharp banked corner when I was having way too much fun. This was when the m/c was quite new.

Since that time, I have also lowered the foot pegs with Speedy's footpeg kit and I may have touched them down once or twice since then lightly, but not hard and the mileage is up around 23K now when you add the three gauge clusters together......Frog

#6 ·
:welcome: from Buffalo, NY.
I installed the Motowerk lowering kit (did not lower the front) and the bike handles just fine with no clearance problems. With a 32" inseem, I now feel much more comfortable and at home on the bike.

#11 ·
I just installed the Motowerks lowering kit last night and all told, it went in very well. The only problem I encountered was trying to lower the forks. Tried to do it myself and things almost got hairy, but that is probably because I was trying to do it myself.

After I installed a Corbin seat with an extra 1/2" of gel foam, I made the decision to lower the bike because I was on my toes while stopping and that didn't feel comfortable to me. Speedy's stuff is top notch.

You wont regret it

#12 ·
As Baron stated, I just removed my Motowerk lowering kit. It's a surprisingly simple piece of hardware. The motorcycle had the kit already installed when I bought it (the PO was short of stature). It was on there for about 5000 miles with no issues.
While I'm not what I would consider "tall" (5'10" 31" inseam) I actually prefer riding a taller bike. It feels more comfortable in traffic and while riding. When I'm sittng still I'm on my toes but coming from dual sport bikes (specifically KLR) I'm used to that. The hardest thing for me as I get older and more out of shape is getting my leg to clear the seat and saddle bags when I mount/dismount.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the Motowerk site, the flatfoot must be ordered seperate from the lowering kit?

#13 ·
... The hardest thing for me as I get older and more out of shape is getting my leg to clear the seat and saddle bags when I mount/dismount....
IF that's your issue - try getting on from the RIGHT. Right foot on right footpeg HOLDING brake ON, right hand holding front brake ON. Start transferring your weight to the 'peg while swinging your left leg over, and your left hand to the left grip. BOOM - you're ON, the bike did NOT fall over, (because you're not trying to swing your leg OVER the saddlebags and seat...) and the world is well.

:goodidea:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.