Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

The "add-a-tool to the advtour tool kit" thread.

20K views 77 replies 24 participants last post by  alien71121 
#1 ·
Everybody has their favorite tools. Some riders are more "minimalist" than others. If you were going to go on an extended tour on a properly equipped Versys (let's say, Alaska, for instance-), what do you want in your tool kit? One tool per post, please- cut and paste, and we'll manage the list as we go. Please feel free to debate the suggestions. This is not a "what equipment/clothing/gear am I going to take" thread, but what TOOLS do I take...

I'm going to start:

1)Sturdy, well-made Tool Wrap/roll

#3 ·
Agreed- what on the leatherman makes it useful? And do you need better pliers than what the leatherman contains? I've got a Gerber Suspension, and the pliers are needle-nose... two knives, scissors, and a small saw-blade. Wire cutters. I've only had it a short time, so it hasn't been tested yet...

#5 ·
2)Leatherman
3)Multitool, like the Cruz Outback'r, to complement the Leatherman
4) Some kind of pump to put air in my tire after I've used the as yet unmentioned tire repair kit.

If I'm on my way to Alaska, no way I'm relying on those little co2 cartridges. Probably not going to rely on anything electrical, either. What good is an inflated tire with a dead battery? So probably a small foot-operated pump.

#6 ·
Good idea. I'm thinking big barrel Mt. bike pump(not a floor pump... the one you slip in your Camelback).. slow, but light and completely trustworthy. Let's go ahead and add tire patch kit, too...

2)Leatherman
4)Tire Patch Kit
5)Air pump

So far, we don't really need the tool wrap, do we?

#7 ·
TROUBLE LIGHT:
Sometimes called a drop light, it usually drops heavy enough to break its lamp. It may be a source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin", which is not otherwise found under motorcycles at night. Health benefits aside, its main purpose is to consume light bulbs of whatever type you have installed in it. More often dark than light, its name is some-what misleading. Many folks can be found shaking these tools as the light goes on and off.

#8 ·
aside from the surefire light that's always in my pocket, there are a couple chemical lights stuffed under my seat and one extra stuck in my stop&go flat repair kit w/inflator. I feel the better prepared (realisticly) you are the less likely YOU will need stuff. Even though I normally ride alone, I end up bailing other riders out.

#9 · (Edited)
I usually travel with a roll of black electrical tape and a few tie wraps. Both are pretty handy but if I had to choose one I'd take the tie wraps.

2)Leatherman
4)Tire Patch Kit
5)Air pump
6)Light or glow stick
7)Tie Wraps (long ones - 12-18")

#10 ·
Tie wraps... do you mean zip ties? I agree... there are also velcro wraps that can be really useful for holding something in place or out of the way- as well as duct tape.

As to light... Part of my "gear" is a headlamp, which doubles as a "tool", I would think... an "emergency" light is a different thing... something that helps others see YOU, which I think would be the primary use of a glow stick.
The new "cree" LED headlamps and flashlights are so bright and compact...

2)Leatherman
4)Tire Patch Kit
5)Air pump
6)Light Source/emergency light
7)Zip Ties/duct tape
8)27mm socket for rear wheel/front sprocket?

#11 ·
Gorilla Tape. Duct tape can't hold a candle to this stuff.

#12 ·
2)Leatherman
4)Tire Patch Kit
5)Air pump
6)Light or glow stick
8)Several Credit cards wrapped in a list of bike shops along my route. ;)

They'll either fix it or I'll trade it in.

#13 ·
2)Leatherman
4)Tire Patch Kit
5)Air pump
6)Light or glow stick
8)Several Credit cards wrapped in a list of bike shops along my route.
9) Nitrile gloves

You need to keep your hands clean if you end up working on your bike. Nitrile gloves aren't armor, but don't underestimate the importance of clean hands with no cuts or nicks (that get sore or infected) when piloting a motorcycle far from home.

#14 ·
2)Leatherman
4)Tire Patch Kit
5)Air pump
6)Light or glow stick
7)Tie Wraps (long ones - 12-18"
8)Several Credit cards wrapped in a list of bike shops along my route.
9) Nitrile gloves
10) Spare fuses

#17 ·
9) Manometer
Really? You'd pack and take a manometer on a multi-thousand mile ride? I'd be more inclinded to take extra shorty clutch/brake levers (which is a spare part, not a tool) and certainly a chain master link before I carry a manometer.

Or, am I missing something?

#16 ·
CO2 canisters are single use. My compressor once came to the rescue of a fellow rider who went through all his canisters trying to fix a flat. I'll never rely on CO2 alone.

If you are concerned about space, remove the compressor's plastic housing. The compressor element is pretty small. Careful, it gets HOT...can't change physics, compressing a gas gives off heat.

#20 ·
1)Sturdy, well-made Tool Wrap/roll which contains:
2)Leatherman
4)Tire Patch Kit
5)Air pump
6)Light or glow stick
8)Electrical/Duct/Gorilla Tape
9) Nitrile gloves
10)Socket Wrench (what size? 3/8 or 1/2?) with the following sockets: 27mm, 14mm ALLEN (front wheel removal)

#21 ·
2)Leatherman
4)Tire Patch Kit
5)Air pump
6)Light or glow stick
9) Nitrile gloves
10)Socket Wrench (what size? 3/8 or 1/2?) with the following sockets: 27mm, 14mm ALLEN (front wheel removal)
11) 4mm and 5mm allen sockets to go into this 13 piece screwdriver

And, for #10: 3/8's inch drive with 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 17mm 22mm, 27mm sockets & 14mm allen

#22 ·
This is what I carry most of the time:
It's more off-road oriented at the moment, but on longer tour with the Versys I'd carry all of that.

OEM toolkit is all you realistically need for this bike, but I'd recommend to replace every item with a higher quality one.

I also like to work on the bike with my field kit (above) even in the garage so I would get used to it and see what really works.
Of the shelf kits seem nice but one is better off tailoring it himself.

Many good tips here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998

#23 ·
OEM toolkit is all you realistically need for this bike, but I'd recommend to replace every item with a higher quality one.
The one great tool in the stock kit is the spark plug remover. Long and the little U-joint thingy in it works perfectly.

Ivan: what's above the WD-40? Is that a multimeter to the left of the WD-40?

#25 ·
Great posts- thanks Ivan and Jeff- I'll collate some of that stuff into the list later. Ivan's kit looks pretty complete... but probably more than I'd take, actually. Do you really think you need both pair of pliers? And I was waiting for someone to suggest the ratcheting screwdriver/sockets. Having a flexible extension for that is really helpful, too, IMHO.

#26 · (Edited)
Ok, I owe some clarification for that picture.

Jeff, above WD is a small can of Motorex chain lube. I only pack that and WD if I can really afford the space or doing long trips. To the left of WD can is a digital tire pressure gauge.

Some other less clear stuff:
From the top:
- First row - home made battery jumper cable. It's terrible but it works. Nylon wire (I still haven't found use for it but it packs small) and underneath a disposable 3l gasoline/water bag.
- Second row - Rope, lighter, flashlight, knife, ziplock bags, a headlamp, foot pump, pair of gloves. Chain lube and WD40.
- Third row - Figure 9 carabiner and some rope, Stop&Go tire plug kit (haven't used it yet), pressure gauge,
- Fourth row - Sockets and bits with a small ratchet, spare clutch lever, zip ties, electrical tape.
- Bottom row- General tools. Left to the red pliers is a stubby screwdriver that accepts bits and a a big Hex socket for Versys' front axle.

Both pliers are, kind off, redundant because I never seem to use them on the bike. Smaller ones are pretty small and nice as they can undo a bolt.

I would like to replace OEM axle tools with Motion Pro T6 levers one day. In fact, entire Motion Pro catalog is pretty desirable.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that with little clever packing everything in that picture (except: lubes, rope and foot pump) fits under the seat. I did hacksaw some of the unnecessary plastic from that area but it will sit there without issues.

#33 ·
1) Sturdy, well-made Tool Wrap/roll which contains:
2) Ratchet tool with bits and sockets (allen and otherwise) and extension
3) Socket Wrench 3/8" with the following sockets: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm 17mm 22mm, and 27mm, 14mm ALLEN (front wheel removal) and extension
4) Tire Patch Kit
5) Air pump
6) Light or glow stick
7) Tie Wraps (long ones - 12-18")
8) Electrical/Duct/Gorilla Tape wrapped on a spindle or tool
9) Work gloves
10) Work Towel
11) WD40
12) Chainlube
13) Original toolkit Sparkplug extension
14) Wrenches? what size?

I'm going to pull the Leatherman and Multitool out of the Tool Roll and put them in the tank bag.

Tank bag- (or wherever you choose to make them handy)
1) Leatherman
2) Multitool
3) Headlamp
4) Tire gauge (manometer!)

Keep 'em coming-

#35 ·
If you're going to use sockets for the axle then a sliding T handle would be smallest most practical driver.

As for wrenches, those MotionPro wrench/lever combinations I mentioned above are very lightweight.
There is also this one from Sealey (UK company):

Maybe you can zip-tie it somewhere along the subframe.

#40 ·
2)Leatherman
4)Tire Patch Kit
5)Air pump
6)Light or glow stick
9) Nitrile gloves
11)Safety wire and pliers

#41 · (Edited)
1) Sturdy, well-made Tool Wrap/roll which contains:
2) Ratchet tool with bits and sockets (allen and otherwise) and extension
3) Socket Wrench 3/8" with the following sockets: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm 17mm 22mm, and 27mm, 14mm ALLEN (front wheel removal) and extension
4) Tire Patch Kit
5) Air pump
6) Light or glow stick
7) Tie Wraps (long ones - 12-18")
8) Electrical/Duct/Gorilla Tape wrapped on a spindle or tool
9) Work gloves
10) Work Towel
11) WD40
12) Chainlube
13) Original toolkit Sparkplug extension
14) Open-end Wrenches- 8,10,12,13
15) Sliding t-handle socket wrench
16) Safety wire
17) Channel lock pliers? or Vice grips?
18) 6" crescent wrench?
19) Tire Irons?
20) box cutter

Tank bag- (or wherever you choose to make them handy)
1) Gerber Suspension folding tool (decent needle nose pliers)
2) Multitool (Cruz Outback'r m14)
3) Headlamp
4) Tire gauge (manometer!)

#42 ·
I believe that #4 (as long as it's the 'plugs' for tubeless) will remove the need for #19. Unless you get a huge tear in your tire, AND carry a HUGE patch kit, I can't see why you'd need tire irons (which I carried on long KLR trips...).

#46 ·
You are correct. Have you attempted to use that implement to remove the axle? It just doesn't seem sturdy enough (particularly the articulated knuckle) to withstand the torque required to spin the axle. I was grateful there was a Harbor Freight store nearby; a set of metric hex drivers was $12, as I recall.

That said, in a pinch, I just might be willing to put the 14mm hex end to the test.

#45 ·
Roadside Rescue card. One phone call sorts it out.:thumb:
Well, usually, yes. But the original post did mention traveling in Alaska. There are thousands of square miles in Alaska where one phone call will just leave you looking at a useless phone in your hand while four million insects suck you dry of blood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.