Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Recommend me auxiliary lights

32K views 70 replies 25 participants last post by  silviefox 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about mounting a pair of auxiliary lights for my 09 V. I'd like to mount them on my H&B engine guards, I want LED lights it's not a deal breaker but I would like round lights, not square, I prefer black, under $300.
The main purpose for the lights is to increase my visability during the day, secondary use will be increase light output at night, tertiary purpose is because they will look badass.

#2 ·
Hi Ray, I installed the Twisted Throttle Denali D2D LED's on my '09 a couple of weeks back. Mounted on the SW-Motech adapters which put them pretty much in line with the headlight. They do work really well but won't meet your $300 price point :( I do most of my riding in the city so I like having them wired as low-high....I'm not blinding other drivers in traffic but I still have the full intensity when I need it. Only minor problem I have had is a little bit of flickering on low beam, not a huge deal. To me they look badass but nothing like a big pair of CIBIE's with grating over them :)

#6 ·
Check out ADVmonster.com, very reasonable prices and excellent customer service. I also think he give a discount to ADVRider forum members. I have two sets on different bikes and they work great. When I had an issue with 2 leds burning out after 2 years of use I emailed him where I could find replacement LEDs and he sent me 2 new LED chips which I was able to solder in place and was back in business....can't ask for better service and standing behind his products.

My bikes with his lights...

#10 · (Edited)
I put a pair of MondoMotos MM-12's on my Versus. Under $100

After some 50k miles, I replaced the Walmart specials ( http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5571 ) and mounted them on the Twisted Throttle mount, but I could have used the same extended fairing bolt I used for the Walmart setup.

I did it mainly for lower power consumption and bulb longevity.

Old setup:

New MM-12's:

#12 ·
#13 ·
The garage is MUCH cleaner these days....a friend shamed me into cleaning it up...I'm a slob I admit it....the work benches are still cluttered. Always a project going on with something.

I love my BX24 some of the best money I ever spent.

#15 ·
The article from Farkle My Ride is one I wrote. I just contacted Komy about the shipping estimator. I know it is wrong. I only paid around $15 to get it shipped to Vancouver, BC, Canada. My guess would be under $20 anywhere in North America.

The lights are outstanding, however Komy I believe is out of stock on the 3000 lumen sets until after Christmas so there may be a slight delay ordering.

The lights on the Versys are much better than on the Tiger 1050 which I used for the review and video. Especially with a simple bulb upgrade, and some time spent ensuring the aim is correct. The Komy 1600's would likely be sufficient, but the 3000 LEDs are simply incredible at full power when out alone on a dark road. They also will get you noticed when they are flashed at drivers who are inattentive. On the Versys I would even consider not bothering with the dimmer, and simply wire/mount an on/off switch on the handlebars to use with the high beams only as the low beam is very good on the Versys.

Here is the video review I made to accompany the article. It gives you a chance to see the various light modes, as well as how bright they are in a pitch dark environment.

#16 · (Edited)
On the Versys I would even consider not bothering with the dimmer, and simply wire/mount an on/off switch on the handlebars to use with the high beams only as the low beam is very good on the Versys.
That gives up two of the benefits of driving lights. Helping motorists ahead of you at night to recognize that your headlight belongs to a motorcycle, rather than half of a car. And to help motorists to judge how fast you're approaching. It's easier to judge the approach speed of a triangle of 3 lights than of a single headlight.

Maybe those don't matter to everyone. As a commuter I ride in a lot of traffic at night, so it matters to me.

With my lights, I use a wide angle lens on the right, and even on low beam I find it helps illuminate around turns a little better than the headlight alone.

Not sure if it's the same for your setup, but with my Denali D2 kit, high beam and low beam are controlled by the headlights--if you wire it up that way. No extra cost or hassle to use the dimmer, since it switches with your headlights.

#20 ·
Nah it's ok.

Traditionally, i could mount it on the fender like you did, or get a bar clamp and mount it on the engine guard. However I am just concerned with losing that led light IF i take a spill.

Using a fork clamp on the other hand, had got me imagining that the beam would be concentrated in the middle as apposed to a wider position beside the radiator shrouds. Alternatively i could just get someone to weld up some 2mm iron bars (or cut and bend aluminium sheets) and bolt it on the windshield mounting just like this.

Howver i have in my mind a different set of lights in that position, so i'll prefer the shrouds for these komy lights. i've just Put in an order for the sw motech mounting kit.

#22 ·
Christmas is another week away. Waiting for komy to reopen his shop is like forever!

#23 ·
Komy lights is shipped yesterday. ETA 2 weeks fastest. Sheesh. Am really anxious to see if it really lives up to expectations. And at 180+ USD i am having really, really high expectations.

By the way this just reach my doorstep today, have yet to unbox it. Waiting for the lights.

#24 ·
Hi Andrew,
Rather than wait for Komy to ship to Thailand (where I'm living at the moment), I decided to fly to Hkg to collect myself (ok ok, I decided to make a business trip out of it as well). Komy has sent it off today, should arrive to my office tomorrow and I'll be back to try and get it fixed over the weekend.
However, my electrical knowledge ends with knowing how to insert batteries into remote controls. Are you going to wire up the set yourself or send it to a shop? If the former, can you also show me how? Can the front aux point (under the left fairing) be used (enough power etc?)

Cheers

#25 ·
Yes you can use the aux port but make sure to replace the fuse below the seat to a 15A. Current one plugged in is just 5A. Komy told me that 15A can handle both lights.

I did had thoughts of doing my own, planned to pull a separate wiring is per below, to free up the AUX port for something else in future.

but then again, other than riding the bike, I'm a retard in everything related to bike maintenance and electricals So as what I've always been doing, I'll pay some professionals to get it done. Dont wana risk burning my bike down, lol!

#27 · (Edited)
I received mine yesterday too. Pretty fast shipping, just 1 week. However i can't seem to say for sure if it's a 30watt or a 20watt light he sent since there is no marking indicating so. Have nothing to compare against. Hence i guess i had to take it on faith.

He told me earlier that a 10amp fuse is enough for a pair of 30watt light.
you'd better ask him again for confirmation.

If you look at His ebay posting, way below at the description, there's a pic of a scooter similar to the pcx with the lights mounted on the handlebar. Can do the same for the pcx too. He did include bar mount together just like in my pic above right?

#29 ·
Fastoman, i prefer led because of the white beam, and also more lumens per watt consumed, which the leds gave more.

Anyway u live in bandar puteri right? Just 40 minutes away from me in kapar, we could meet in town after i got it installed and we can compare :)

#44 ·
Hi andrew. No sir , I live in IPOH and you are welcomed any time for white coffee. And the lights you see in the image are quite old ones and I have change to something similar and the brightness is still good. Both my head light are HID and no what so ever problem so far for night rides.

:cheers:

#30 ·
Your LED looks like the big ones (I ordered both 1600L and 3000L so I can compare both) so I think it should be correct.

For the V, I think I might try installing them on my crash guards if it's not too low. On the PCX, I don't think I can install on my handlebars as I have a cup holder :)) ) on the left handlebar and my GPS on the right one.

#31 ·
loving this thread guys I ride a bit at night with heaps of nocturnal wild-life and will get some of these super duper LED's when I can afford them.
I will set them up to a slightly high cross over pattern that widen my light spread in corners and hopefully give a view into the corner. I'm thinking about 1 down the middle ahead and 2 crossing over each other ahead..

#33 ·
Chow, mounting on the engine guard seems easy choice, but trust me, if you ever lay your bike down, the lights are the first to go.

#37 ·
Ordered wat? The lights? I emailed komy direct since his ebay posting indicated a thousand usd for shipping, so instead of ebay, we deal direct. He sent me a payment request via paypal, i paid via paypal and he sent through hongkong post for another 13usd. Took it on faith since it seems he has done many before. Have yet to test the lights, pretty busy for another 2 weeks.

I guess he has since amended the shipping charge

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Cree-12V...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20ce7342ba

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.