Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

I just bought a Harley

10K views 61 replies 29 participants last post by  rlj 
#1 ·
I purchaced my 2009 Versys back in the spring of 2009 and have ridden it all over Canada and the USA. I have no intention of selling it but I just bought a 2004 Harley FXDL Dyna Low Rider. Having only had a short 25 mile ride since purchase I can comfortably say that the Versys is twice the bike in almost every way. I can also say that the Harley, despite the poor brakes, handling and performance is still the sexiest machine I've ever owned. Now with three bikes, Versys, Harley and a Honda CRF250 X in my garage, I will have the opportunity to really compare the brands and models over the next few years.
[URL="
[/URL]

See less See more
#2 ·
. . . I can also say that the Harley, despite the poor brakes, handling and performance is still the sexiest machine I've ever owned.
I think that's what Harleys are all about. There's no other way to explain why they sell so many. I hope you don't have a huge beer gut and wear a denim vest with patches all over it though. That's taking things just a bit too far IMHO. :D

#4 ·
No, that's not me. I just finished an 11,000 mile tour of North America on the Versys and it didn't take more than a short ride on the Hog to appreciate what a beautiful bike the Versys is. I am already planning a trip down east next summer to the Canadian Maritime provinces. Friends all ask me which bike I plan to take. They are all surprised that I favor the Versys for any long rides. Here's a photo of my bike all loaded up for touring.
[URL="
[/URL]

#16 ·
I heard that 90 percent of bikes on American roads are Harleys, because only 10 % made the trip home.:)
No, no, no, you blew the punchline. It goes like this:

Did you know that 90% of all Harleys ever built are still on the road today?

The other 10% made it home. :D

#7 · (Edited)
I would not say that 90% of bike in the US are harleys. Between 70 to 80% have the same styling. There are lots of metric (Japanese and European) cruisers and tourers. The rest are mostly sport bikes (fully faired or naked). Adventure touring and standards like the versys have a relatively small market share. Have to remember, motorcycles are not considered sensible means of transportation in the US. The vast majority of people on the US considers motorcycling as a life style choice. Harley Davidson has done an excellent job with their marketing in that area.

I do not drink from the marketing Kool-aid and I do not like chrome therefore I do not consider cruisers desirable.

#27 ·
So, I went to the Harley dealer and they actually talked me out of a Dyna, telling me how versatile the Versys is (which of course I already knew). So I ended up getting a brand new 2012 Nightster. So far I HAVE noticed a couple things the Harley actually does better (actual USEABLE mirrors, WOW what a concept,haha). And I've noticed a couple things that aren't as good, like not being able to see (due to vibration) at low RPM. I think the Sportster is the perfect compliment to the Versys, since the Versys pretty much does everything I need it to, when I feel like going "naked" and riding a motor with wheels, this will hit the spot.

#11 · (Edited)
A Harley is about the only brand I havent tried yet. I'm sure the engine has loads of character, enjoy your shiny new ride! As for the rest you do indeed usually buy it for its looks and image. I have a Yamaha MT-01 which as a 1700cc pushrod v-twin engine and the character is like nothing I've ever tried before and not because of the power (its got 90HP-111lbs torque) but it's how it delivers it that is so satisfying, just the sound and low down vibration makes you grin everytime you start it! If they made a new MT-01 that was 100lbs lighter I'd buy it in a heart beat. That said in the handling department the MT is way behind the Versys yet I can't imagine myself ever selling it. And you'll probably have the same words about the Harley, it will be out-handled by the Versys, but the engine alone will make you smile every time you ride without the need to gun it :)

#17 ·
Now with three bikes, Versys, Harley and a Honda CRF250 X in my garage...
:exactly: That's a great lineup of bikes. Everyone is entitled to own what they want, as long as they can afford it without taking food out of the kids' mouths and all that, but I always wonder at people who have, say, a Versys, a Ninja 650 and an SV650 in the garage. Where's the diversity in that? (JMHO and all the other disclaimers apply, so no offense to anyone who owns that particular combo, 'cause they're all good bikes, but still.) Your combination is near perfect: Versys for the road, Low Rider for profiling, and the CRF for dirty stuff. :thumb:

Personally, I'd go the sportbike route over the cruiser, to meet my need for track days, but that's partly because I did the Harley thing years ago and got it out of my system.

#19 ·
Hey guys, I'm loving all the great feedback. My kids are both in their thirties and doing well so my love of bikes won't take any food out of their mouths. I'm a very lucky guy to be able to afford a few toys. I very much know that.

That Mean Streak is totally bad ass. What sealed the deal for me on the Harley was the $7400 price tag. It was just too clean a bike and oh so purdy and I figured I better jump on this now or maybe never own one. They call it the Harley Mystique and now I have a little understanding of that concept but it will never be "the lifestyle" that it is for many.

Next August I'm climbing on my Versys and going down east. I've always wanted to cruise the Cabot Trail and take a ferry out to Newfoundland so that's what I'm going to do.

#23 ·
Great lookin' Dyna! I also own 3 bikes similar to your stable. Versys, DRZ400S, and the HD streetglide. Performance, handling and comfort the Versys wins without a doubt. The DR is great for DS riding and just plain fun. The HD doesn't really do anything great but it keeps momma happy as she doesn't like to ride 2 up on the DR or the Versys. The HD's are pretty. Ok, I admit I like Chrome. I ride all 3 bikes weekly and all 3 have totally different personalities. I can say this without question the Versys is the best all around bike of the three by a huge margin. Just my humble opinion. Enjoy the Dyna!

#26 ·
As you know I'm new to the world of H-D but I did find that the ergonomics on the Dyna Low Rider is a little cramped as far as leg room. I'm 5" 10" tall and I am beginning to see why highway pegs provide the opportunity to stretch out on longer rides. As for the forward control issue, not having ever had them I can't help but feel they might be a safety concern. I personally feel safer and more in control with standard brake and shifter locations.

#25 · (Edited)
Nice new ride Islander.

On another note, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but it really amuses me how many people are experts on Harleys even though they have never ridden one.

I'm not bragging but I have owned 17 different bikes in my life and I must say that I have enjoyed each and every one immensely.

#30 ·
well....I guess everybody's gotta have a hobby. I've wanted to take a Harley, keep the stock pipes on it, put some Hepco-Becker boxes on, put semi-knobbies on, change the shocks, add GPS bracket, and whack off the footboards and weld regular pegs at least 2 feet back and make it an urban pothole assault vehicle!

Seriously tho' , I think if I were to go cruiser it would have to be a Moto Guzzi California. Totally a "non-biker" cruiser.

#31 ·
Congratulations on the new bike.

I had rode my brothers Harley for the first time over Xmas. My first thought was...what a piece of crap. Couldn't brake and the handling was just as bad.

But after a couple hundred miles jetting around town I realized the appeal. For short pleasure rides there is something very enjoyable about all the noise and vibrations. There is also something that makes you feel good about dealing with all of the things that make it not ideal. If my plan was a short ride or just short commuter a V-twin would be at the top of my list. As a second bike it is a great choice.

#32 · (Edited)
I've owned over 10 bikes and tried well over 30 (I'm still just 35, so I should crank those numbers up over the year hehe). I've changed bikes 7 times in the past 6 years, trying to find the perfect bike that would do it all. Well conclusion it doesn't exist. You can have sexy, fun, unpractical or practical yet more rational.

So what I did is I now have 2 bikes, one Versys setup for touring, and my MT-01 for solo riding. Both bikes are loads of fun, but the MT-01 is really my solo fun bike, those big v-twins have just so much character it gets addictive very fast.

Here's a glimpse of what it feels like from the cockpit :)
http://youtu.be/UbxAN9nz-Tg?t=28s

If you live in Canada and are looking to buy a bike that compliments the Versys, try to find a used MT-01. Most are very low millage (mine won't be!) and have been well looked after. It's a V-twin in a sports frame with brakes from the R1 of those years and fully adjustable suspensions. Considering it's weight (570lbs) it handles amazingly well and the torque is just so much fun :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.