Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Throttle locks

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  AvaChava 
#1 ·
Anybody fitted one of the universal (or any other) el-cheapo throttle locks to their Versys yet?

#2 ·
I've put them on other bikes. I don't use them anymore, I put a crampbuster on mine when on the highway, I can't stand it on there all of the time, but on long trips on the highway it's fine. Throttle locks bother me anymore. The crampbuster is only $10.00, and go on, and off easy.

#3 ·
Manic Salamander Throttle Lock

I added a bar-end throttle lock to the Versys made by Manic Salamander. The 8mm kit fit great and looks good. I had intially thought of painting the bar ends black, but I think I'll leave it as is...at least for now. Here is the link for Manic Salamander:

http://http://www.manicsalamander.com/throttle_lock.htm

Unfortunately it doesn't meet the criteria of cheap, as the set cost $100. I have a $30 universal throttle lock on my KLR, but wanted to try something different for the Versys.

Some people have mentioned using a large Caterpillar o-ring with success. Someone had listed the part number and posted pictures, but I can't remember which site it was on.

#4 · (Edited)
I saw the Manics, and of course there's the original bar-end lock, the Throttlemeister--but those would preclude the use of any handguard that wraps around to attach to the bar-end bolt. I'd like to stick with the type that go between the grip and the control housing. Problem with those is that depending on the bike it may require doing some grinding on the throttle sleeve.

The Cat o-ring I recall from my Concours days, and in fact the only one I ever saw in use was on a Connie. Looked nice too, big fat yellow o-ring. I never did put in the time to figure where the hell to get one though, and it has the same problem that it would not work with the above handguard type.

What about non-wraparound handguards, has anybody used those? That would leave the end of the grip available for other uses.

#9 ·
throttle locks

For $100 you can buy a real cruise control that works like a car's cruise control. Look for a Audiovox CCS-100. They've been put on Suzuki DR650, Honda Pacific Coast, Kawasaki Concourse, as well as others. I have one on my DR650 and it's the greatest for highway travel and you can literally ride for hours on end without adjusting the throttle if the traffic and road conditions allow and you don't fall asleep. Heres a link to my DR650 Audiovox installation. You may need to join the Yahoo Dr650 group temporarily to view it but it's still there last time I checked. When/if I sell my DR I would like to get the Versys as my next bike as I mainly do highway and gravel road type riding and I will put an Audiovox CC on it also. Rob
http://sports.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/DR650/photos/browse/e739

#10 ·
AlexDZ,

I posted a Free Versys manual for 2007 and I would guess its good for 2008 as well. My point is in the manual you can find any spec you need as far as size, torque etc.

#14 ·
Josh,
I have both the Meister and Kaoko. I like the Kaoko better as it is a hex shape for better grab to turn it on and off. Bark Busters will work with either. Just need spacers in the case of the Meister and longer bolt on the Kaoko's.

#16 ·
Jerryes,
The No Mar works great as long as you use lots of lube. Much better than my 30 gal grease drum, especially for Dakar rims with not much drop center and small (10-12") rims. For me it's well worth it.

#20 ·
Yeah, thanks, I saw that but a guy pulled in to
the dealership when I bought my V and he swore
by the Throttlemeisters. I figured I'd get some to
try but also want a set of Barkbusters or some of
the other good handguards. Then I'll be adding
a Givi or something and hear there can be interference
problems. Before I lay out $350 or $400 I'd like to
find out for sure all that stuff will go together.

The O-ring will get me through the week;
the Vista Cruise may get me through the
indecision...

Thanks to both of you guys for input.
I've been cruising back threads here
collecting opinions and pictures. And
links. But there's just so many hours
in a day and before I ask any more
questions I need to finish my homework.

I'm totally blown away by the number
and variety of modifications I'm seeing
here. I don't guess ANYBODY rides a
Versys the way it comes out of the box,
do they? Ha ha, love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.