Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Honda takes a direct shot at the Versys

14K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  rponiarski 
#1 · (Edited)
Just found the Honda NC700XA on Honda's web site. Also see review. It looks like a direct competitor to the Versys with the same size and type of motor, similar ergos, same size tires, etc.. It even has a cool gas tank used for lockable storage. Actual gas fill hole is is under seat.

Engine Type Liquid-cooled parallel-twin
Displacement 670 cc
Bore & Stroke 73 x 80 mm
Compression Ratio 10.7:1
Valve Train Chain driven SOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Fuel Delivery PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
Transmission Six-speed
Final Drive O-ring sealed chain
Front Suspension 41mm telescopic fork; 153.5 mm (6 in.) travel
Rear Suspension Single shock, Pro-Link swingarm; 150 mm (5.9 in.) travel
Tires 120/70ZR - 17 radial front; 160/60ZR - 17 radial rear
Brakes Front 320 mm wave disc with triple-piston caliper; rear 240 mm wave disc with single-piston caliper. Combined Braking System with ABS
Ground Clearance n/a
Seat Height 830 mm (32.7 in.)
Wheelbase 1,540 mm (60.6 in.)
Curb Weight 218 kg (480 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 14.1 litres

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
Interesting. As usual, doesn't seem to be available in the US. :mad:

I like Honda cars (I own one), but have never been moved to buy any of their motorcycles. This is, so far, the most interested I've been in a Honda motorcycle.

#34 ·
While I'll agree that of late, Honda has put out some rather uninspired offerings here in the US... but I mean, we're talking about Honda, here. Without Honda it's very possible the beloved, race-proven I4 might never have really happened. Larger-bore racing classes might never have happened. Disc brakes becoming pedestrian and rather the norm might have happened a decade or so late, or might never have been anything but a premium product.

Motorcycling, et al, owes Honda a huge thank-you and round of applause.

$.02

#4 ·
I'm not hugely impressed. It's overweight and produces only about 50 hp.

The engine is a new approach for Honda. Most of the design was taken from one of their small car engines (I forget the name) and is intended to return excellent fuel mileage. It's a low-revving, torque motor. However, the BMW F800 motor returns the same fuel mileage, but produces 85 HP.

The engine and chassis of this bike will be shared by three new Hondas, one of which is a scooter.

#6 ·
Engine basis is from the 1.3 in the Jazz (a.k.a. Fit in the US, but we get it with a bigger motor). I, too, am a bit disappointed with the weight, but it's probably not a deal-breaker for their target market. Won't fly stateside, not without a huge shift in perception and expectations of two-wheel transport.

#5 ·
it is a promising bike indeed. I am hoping I'll be able to take a better look at the Brussels motor show.

the concept is very similar to the V. The price looks like to be even a bit cheaper for the Honda.

On the other hand the Honda has a much better economy (Honda claims between 3-4l/100km) and has the convenient storage in the fake tank cover. It comes with optional DCT as well if I'm not mistaken.

If you want a cheap and economical commuter the NC-X can be a great alternative for the V. If you use your bike mostly to tear up and down twisty B-roads the V probably still has the advantage.

#7 ·
#14 ·
I think it looks good and mpg will be great - will sell for around UK£5600 which is flippin' cheap. However, it's gonna be a bit on the slow side I reckon. Will probably take one out for a demo ride, just out of curiosity... In the meantime, the V remains the preferred mode of two-wheeled transport :).

Attachments

#16 ·
I'm not sure it's a direct shot at the Versys. More of an urban moto or commuter. This month's "Bike" magazine has a good write-up and talks about it being a potential bike of the year. The big deal is 75 mpg with dramatically-reduced friction in the motor. The article also says the Honda can't pull wheelies like a Versys, though!

#17 ·
I think the Euro and Aussie version of the V has the ability to de-tuned to 32hp for compliance with their law for (age ?). A de-tuned bike would get you great MPG but at the cost of fun. I know that the GTR1400 can de-tuned using one of their programs on the fly and gives great gas savings. The V 1000 also has such feature at 75% performance.

The 4 Gal tank is a negative, IMO. Had a long trip recently to Thailand, and we crossed the border back to Malaysia around 11pm, and were looking for petrol kiosk. The first 3 from the border were already closed. Guys with the V were ok but guys with smaller tanks, they were getting really worried. One of our Marshals ran out of gas on his CBR1000, and had to be 'pushed' by another Marshal on his GTR1400. I still had 4 bars on the fuel gauge. Big tank is a plus for long trips.

#21 ·
They're claiming fuel mileage of 3.5l per 100 kilometers which is about 67 miles per US gallon. I've managed several 70 mpg tanks on my F800ST and lots of tanks in the upper 50/ low 60s. Considering that the BMW has 85 hp and the Honda about 50 hp, I think Honda has some work to do. The NT700V makes about 65 hp and the best way you can describe that is "adequate". The NT, at 565 lbs, is heavy. It weighs as much as a BMW R1200RT. The NC isn't much lighter at 525 lbs with less power. I own an NT and think it's a good (but boring) bike. I wouldn't be interested in something even more boring.

#23 ·
Then don't buy it? Clearly this is not marketed at you then. Cause this bike is listed at <1/2 of your 800ST price wise so unless your weird hate on for it is going to change Hondas mind I wouldn't worry to much about it. nifty little concept if it fits in the right area of sale.

#28 ·
I was sitting on one today in my Honda dealers showroom. Initially, I was a bit dismissive of it, but seeing it in the flesh, it is a rather handsome looking machine and seems to have the usual Honda quality of finish. The storage area in the 'tank' is generous (although I'm positive my Arai TourX won't fit in it) and the rear seat is hinged backwards with a prop to keep it out of harms way when you're filling the under seat tank. For what will probably be looked upon as a commuter bike with great fuel economy and with a reasonable price (it's £5800 OTR here or $8885 U.S.), I think Honda have done a great job. I'll get a test ride in the Spring as from what I've read so far, the engine is quite different to what we're used to and pretty low revving. Sitting on it, it is a nice size and felt light, so I guess the weight is carried low down. I'm not getting wrapped up in horse power figures, I'll judge it on how it feels on the open road. Certainly, the dealer is very excited about it and to some extent, I can see why.

Attachments

#33 ·
Just noticed in Davey's pic - it has the beemer beak! I guess they are going more at BMW than the versys .... which, at least in the US market would make sense - if it gets here.

I believe the Versys, which is a toned down ninja, is actually going to end up the hooligan of the low priced, mid sized standards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.