Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

finally got the Signet Q....but!

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I shared my deception about my head shape and how I struggled getting an appropriate helmet...(please see : http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21571 and http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21525).

as per the recommendations of the fellow in this forum, I orderd an Arai Signet Q that I have just received this morning (after a very long 4 days of delay in shipping...:mad:)

I crossed my fingers and then tried it.....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! that has really nothing to do the those that I tried before! (CMS, Scorpion, Shark and HJC), it feels solid, and fitls like a glove!!

BUT!!!!

I ordered an XL but it seems that it is a little bit big (although I used the size chart of Arai)...it is just a little loose, it does not snug like I would have imagined....what I did now is that I have put a piece of tiny fabric (about 3 mm tick) around my head and wore the helmet over it........BINGO!!!!! the fit was JUST PERFECT DE PEFECTO!!!!

NOW!!!

obviously I can't go down to L size...because I ordered it from abroad (USA) and the cost of return shipping is very high...and I'm not sure if L size will fit since it is almost 1.5 cm smaller according to the size chart (that I don't trust anymore!)...
so what do you recommend me guys? here are the options:
1- put a 3 mm sponge (same quality as the one used in the liner) directly inside the shell (after I make wholes on the sponge that match those in the shell for vents and those where the liner is fixed) and use 2 or 3 spots of glue to firm it up...I know people will say using a glue that contains chemicals might compromise the safety of the helmet but I will see the best way to fix it...
2- wear a cap....but where I live it is almost 25 degree all the year so I guess it will overheat my head...
3- get the liner of the L size....I red somewhere on internet that you can downsize from XL to L by using the liner of L because most of the companies (including Arai) are using the same shell for L and XL...

Any suggestion or recommendation?

I'm attaching some pics so you can see the fit...

Thanks a lot! :)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi All,

I shared my deception about my head shape and how I struggled getting an appropriate helmet...(please see : http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21571 and http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21525).

as per the recommendations of the fellow in this forum, I orderd an Arai Signet Q that I have just received this morning (after a very long 4 days of delay in shipping...:mad:)

I crossed my fingers and then tried it.....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! that has really nothing to do the those that I tried before! (CMS, Scorpion, Shark and HJC), it feels solid, and fitls like a glove!!

BUT!!!!

I ordered an XL but it seems that it is a little bit big (although I used the size chart of Arai)...it is just a little loose, it does not snug like I would have imagined....what I did now is that I have put a piece of tiny fabric (about 3 mm tick) around my head and wore the helmet over it........BINGO!!!!! the fit was JUST PERFECT DE PEFECTO!!!!

NOW!!!

obviously I can't go down to L size...because I ordered it from abroad (USA) and the cost of return shipping is very high...and I'm not sure if L size will fit since it is almost 1.5 cm smaller according to the size chart (that I don't trust anymore!)...
so what do you recommend me guys? here are the options:
1- put a 3 mm sponge (same quality as the one used in the liner) directly inside the shell (after I make wholes on the sponge that match those in the shell for vents and those where the liner is fixed) and use 2 or 3 spots of glue to firm it up...I know people will say using a glue that contains chemicals might compromise the safety of the helmet but I will see the best way to fix it...
2- wear a cap....but where I live it is almost 25 degree all the year so I guess it will overheat my head...
3- get the liner of the L size....I red somewhere on internet that you can downsize from XL to L by using the liner of L because most of the companies (including Arai) are using the same shell for L and XL...

Any suggestion or recommendation?

I'm attaching some pics so you can see the fit...

Thanks a lot! :)
When you paying that much for a helemt exchange it. It will be worth it in the long run. Also the padding will pack down over time making it even looser. Also suggest ordering a dark smoke visor for those sunny days. I love my Aria. You should not have enough room to squeeze in the tip of you baby finger between your forehead and the helmet or at the back of the helmet behind your neck.

#4 ·
I paid only 250 USD for my like new Signet Q XL...I can return it for refund but it will cost me 230 USD to ship it back to USA and they don't have L for an exchange...
here are the picture of the fit tests:

1- side twist: looks good to me
2- chin pushed up: almost good
3- fingers do not go under my forhead
4- ONLY the flip from back to front that caused all the worries I have so far...:confused:

Attachments

#5 ·
Head shape is important. I bought a Shoei RF-1100 that by the measurements was my size. However when I got it, the cheek pads were way too tight. I'm not sure if they are available for your lid, but Shoei had pads +/- 2mm in a few incremental sizes above and below my size. I got the next size thinner from stock and all is good. Except, the head shape thing. My nose just touches the chin guard. Yes I have a large beak but I didn't consider that when judging my head shape. I may have to go to an AGV as they look a little longer in the shnozz area.....

#6 ·
the one I got is based on my head shape. the fact that the helmet moves from back to front that much (3rd photo) means that the helmet is a bit too long oval...
there is crown and cheek pads for this Signet Q...the default size is 7mm...and the biggest size I can customize is 12mm...I doubt it it will make a difference....again the big issue is how the helmet moves from back to front making the forehead covering almost my eyes....I might try the sponge as ultimate solution to see how it goes...

#7 ·
I'd suggest adding that 3mm foam here-and-there, bit-by-bit, and see how it works out. I would personally be very leery of gluing it with hot glue - it MIGHT melt into your foam damaging it; and it MIGHT leave a high point that will hurt and drive you nuts!

#8 ·
I will not glue it without making sure first that it works and fits perfectly...then the glue is a whole different story...I dont' want to buy the crown pad of 12 mm (5mm more that the standard 7mm) and I'm afraid that it might not work and I end up spending more and more...

#9 · (Edited)
Good morning everyone!

ok so today I received the Evo Tech radiator guard (no worries it is not :eek:fftopic: :D)

when I opened the box I saw this: (phone 1)
after that I was like hummmmmmmmmm .... tarrraaaan!!

so I started cuting it (see photo 2)...I guess you know what it looks like ;)

so I have put some on the comfort liner on the sides and of course inside the cheek pads...

result: MUCH MORE FIT ! :D after 20min sitting in front of the TV to feel is something is wrong and guess what: FELT LIKE OEM FIT! :p

NO GLUE NO change whatsoever to the shape of the helmet or otherwise, just a tender sponge added to the areas where there is already a sponge...

Cost : 0.00 USD :D

But!

I have put some on the back of the comfort liner to reduce the roll off movement...it did work! but after 15 min I started filling a pressure on that spot :right:
However, that was because I cut a small piece so that I felt the difference around the same area of the back of my head...I will cut a bigger piece and see how it feels :)

once I finish with all the tests, then I will have a dedicated shop to use the EXACT same sponge (cut with the same precision) on the cheek pads and the sides of the comfort liner :p

Attachments

#11 ·
Hello again,

it has been a while...I ended up selling the Arai at cost...I bought the Bell RS-1 and I'm also about to return it....the problem with the latter is that fitted all the way good except the roll off test...the back of my head is smaller so that helmet was not firm and rather there was a play from the back to the forehead when trying to roll it off...

my head shape is a reverse egg and no online store has an idea about which helmet will fit my extraterrestrial head...I spent too much time on internet looking for an appropriate one but I couldn't find anyone who has a reverse egg shape...good that I lost only about 50 USD in the whole thing so far...I will wait until I travel for the company somewhere (may be Dubai or UK) and try helmets there...

Sprocket: I bought it on amazon, sometimes there are good deals over there...

#12 · (Edited)
Never buy a helmet you haven't tried on full stop... Top brands Arai and Shoei are world apart in fit and feel .. be it try in store then buy OS whatever...

I did with my Arai dualsport.. tried here bought US- what ever the model its called relative to the country XD3??? I saved $270 buying US but I knew from trying them all on that the Shoei Hornet was very not for me though the Arai's were always a better fit for me....

They are all very, very different in fit with different Shells and Skins to start, inner Liners, ear cut outs, or none GRRR... from the cheaper brands to the most expensive...all with specific comfort values depending only on the head involved including Visor's and release systems etc.

The only way top be sure what really works is try one one in the right size. You ears alone are in a different relationship to your head compared to mine let alone your cheeks and chin.. Never buy a second hand one even if you are sure it's the right size for you and you love... someone else's head had shaped it already and it won't be the same fit especially if he had a bigger head and ruined the fit trying to stuff his Mellon in it...

Arai and Shoei for an example of top line helmets spend millions of $$$ in wind tunnel R&D alone let alone researching the demographic of their targeted customers needs in design and features..
Why do people only prefer the fit of an Arai over Shoei?? Its not coincidental.

Spoken from experience. Arai for on-road.. Thor for off-road... always has been and has nothing to do with the fashion trend of bikes and gear...Sidi boots fit me better Than Alpine Stars but thats just my narrow foot.

#13 ·
Thanks...
I never touched a used helmet...and I will never do it...
I also know that you need to try a helmet first before buying it...just that when you live in a country where such brands do not exist and you have a bike waiting for you...you do try the online ...it is a hit or miss...for some people it worked very well, for others it did not...life...

#14 ·
helmets

Im just in the process of getting an arai and i just came from a show where i was measured and fit by the Arai rep .. Well all my helmets of past have been Med size and i have tried med at the dealers and thought thats where i was going to be again . Well after the custom fit im now in a small Siginet -Q . what a nice snug fit :)

#15 ·
Im just in the process of getting an arai and i just came from a show where i was measured and fit by the Arai rep .. Well all my helmets of past have been Med size and i have tried med at the dealers and thought thats where i was going to be again . Well after the custom fit im now in a small Siginet -Q . what a nice snug fit :)
you are lucky :p

and yes it is true as on this video it says that the signet Q came a full size below the "standard" Arai size chart...

enjoy!

#18 ·
I picked up a couple of AGV helmets this summer, so I've been riding here in AZ with one for the last month or so, instead of the KBC modular I'd been using.

REALLY like this helmet (S-4). Light, warm, GREAT airflow for ventilation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.