Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Versys dual from Kawasaki?

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  mcmann 
#1 ·
What would it take besides the 650 motor, trans and brakes in a klr body and suspension? I am a pretty simple guy. This seems to me like a relatively simple parts bin bike.

Maybe even more tuned down motor ... Less hp, more torque. A poor man's tenere. Of course, all about sales. Is there a market for this?

Way more off road than a vstrom, way cheaper than a BMW. Thoughts?

#5 ·
I agree with your statement about almost all the dual bikes out there.

At the same time, it seems there are plenty of BMW 800 and Triumph 800 adventure bikes being sold.

Maybe yami will be first by mini sizing their Tenere, but I think that price point will still be higher.... plus they don't already have a mid sized twin that is a great motor like Kaw and Suzuki.

A lot of what I am talking about (not all) would be parts bin.

#11 ·
New 2012 super tenere's are going for a little over 12K. New Versys are going for over 6K. (These are buy it now ebay prices from dealers - real world prices) Both no bags.

SO if Kaw added 2K their cost to upgrade both suspensions, rims, add a few other "adventure" things, a "poor man's tenere" would go for just over 8K real world price - still 4K less. Near a vstrom price but should be more dual roadlike. A lot like that silver bike pictured above.

With the Er6 dead in the US and X bikes all the rage, that 650 motor could be used for the ninja, versys standard (both on 17in rims), and a versys X with beefier suspension and appropriate rims. Different front suspensions on all three, different rear suspension and rims for the X bike. Most won't get past the Starbucks anyway ...:p

There's my prediction for next year.

#16 ·
The KLR suspension ain't much. My '08 KLR had racetech springs and GVEs in the front end and a Cogent Moab shock out back. Switched bikes with a friend and he was amazed at the improvement.

My replacement for the Versys will have a driveshaft. A lot easier to change the differential fluid when you change the oil than to have to lube and inspect the chain ever 500 miles or sooner if you ride in the rain or off road.

With the growing popularity of Adventure bikes I am amazed Kawasaki has not entered that arena. All the magazines say that Adventure bikes is the fastest growing area.

I haven't test ridden a Super Tenere, but the bike fits me well from showroom test fits. I like the Tiger Explorer, but it feel a little large for me.

#18 ·
I like the power and suspension of the Versys. You can not compare it to a thumper. It is over 100lbs. Lighter than the Super Tenere . . . And less than half the price. Used Versys are bargains . . . Which make having a $2K set of spoked 19" X 17" wheels possible. They are much more forgiving over the bumps etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.