Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Convert from non ABS to ABS?

17K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  invader 
#1 ·
As we all know, the USA Versys are not equipped with ABS. I wonder if anyone has looked into a conversion , perhaps by getting parts from a European supplier?

#7 ·
ABS by definition can't stop faster than stock. Its job is to release the brakes during a skid. You can always stop faster than ABS by max braking without skidding.

#8 ·
in other words, ABS helps the rider approach maximum braking efficiency/power (whatever the correct term would be). For many riders, it's better than what they can do, especially when panic braking.

So whether it stops better than stock is not a valid question. Whether it stops better than you as a rider... that's YMMV. I know it would certainly stop better than what I can do.
Peter

#14 ·
ABS does not make a bike stop faster. Its purpose is to allow th rider to maintain control by not allowing a lockup. An expert rider can stop very fast while maintaining control. However, very few riders if any can beat the speed of the sensors. Most riders will not apply full break because they are afraid of locking up the tires or will release to much of the break after the lockup happens. Both dangeruos situations. Just like cars ABS should be required in all street legal bikes. Volume will push cost down. The only caveat is a turn off bottom for dirt capable bikes. Dealers are the only barrier to introducing more ABS models. They are the ones that tell manufacturers what to bring over to the US. They do not want the extra safety cost so they can add profitable junk fees and accesories.

#17 · (Edited)
ABS was a big reason I got a new bike. I wish I could upgrade my old Honda NTV with ABS. I would not buy a bike without ABS, and since I've done a day of intensive riding on a Versys 1000, I probably will not buy a bike without traction control.

By the way, ABS will be mandatory for new bikes (>50 cc) in Europe from 2016 on.

tcbbrakesystems smells like snake oil...

#19 ·
Looking at the Kawi Versys official Service Manual, the ABS option adds much complexity, maintenance and troubleshooting to the V. Maybe if the Non-ABS option wasn't documented, the comparison wouldn't be so harsh, but man...if you put all that ABS stuff on there, it gets much more complicated. Maybe it isn't so bad on a machine that's designed only for ABS from the get-go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.