Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Adjustable Windscreen Brackets - Madstad or Algard?

19K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  ednukey 
#1 ·
I have been reading all the comments on the Madstad bracket, but only recently tripped over one of our members (can't remember which thread) who has a similar gizmo from Algard, although it is not shown (that I can see) on the Algard website. I contacted Algard (they responded within an hour or so), and got the following info:

Hello ,
thank you very much for your interest in ALGARD products.

Here are the prices for adjustable screen bracket (Laser cut Stainless steel/ CNC machined Aluminium alloy):

-screen bracket _____48.00 EUR

Postage additional:

-Europe_____________7,55 EUR (4-7 days)

-rest of the world______8,30 EUR (10-15 days)

Pics Attached.

So, the obvious question, which one is better? Anyone tried both or seen both in action? The Algard is a bit cheaper, but at first glance may not have as much height adjustment (just guessing). Rigidity differences? Clearly the Madstad is an "adjust on the fly" thing (finger knobs), whereas the Algard needs tools (although I could see myself getting it right then leaving it alone...).

Whatya think??

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
wow i was just wondering if anyone made something like this.....

#3 ·
Links????

#4 ·
IMHO, the algard looks gorgeous, whereas the madstad looks kinda..uh..industrial. I'm going for the algard, cuz' I just don't think I could stand to look at the madstad w/o going mad myself! I'm sure they work great, however, with many satisfied customers.

#5 ·
... Clearly the Madstad is an "adjust on the fly" thing (finger knobs), whereas the Algard needs tools (although I could see myself getting it right then leaving it alone...).

Whatya think??
I've had an '03 ST1300 since new and the power adjustable windshield is a fantastic feature. I've begun playing with the MadStad and envision opportunities to move it around during a day. Leave home at first light? Up high to send the cool morning air up and around, late morning slide it down for some more fresh air, hot afternoon tip it back to let the air rush through my mesh jacket. You could do that with tools, but would you?

Not having used the Algard, I still vote in favor of adjustability.

#7 · (Edited)
They're brackets. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder but how pretty can a bracket be? In my opinion, they're all ugly. That being said, the Givi has shading in the bracket area and it's hard to see the bracket from the front of the bike anyway.

With the Madstad bracket and the Givi screen, I don't put the windshield in the highest position because it allows too much air to blow underneath the windshield to be practical. I don't know if you want to choose the Madstad bracket simply because it offers the extra height.

The clear advantage to the Madstad bracket is the finger knobs. I have changed the windshield position at a red light with gloves on. I wouldn't think of buying a bracket that requires tools no matter how pretty it is.

#8 ·
All good points...the adjustability on the fly could be handy. I think the Algard is a slicker looking piece of engineering, but wonder re: rigidity...For sure a lot more good feedback on the Madstad, and the video on their website is very convincing.

Links? No, Algard did not provide any - that's why I emailed them, as I could find no trace of this thing on their website. Perhaps it's new and the website has yet to be updated. They just sent me the jpg's that I posted here. Cheers. Dave.

#10 ·
I would take "on the fly" with a grain of salt. You still need to stop and adjust it. Can you do it while in motion? Sure. I've done it, but wouldn't recommend it, because of the inherent safety issue as well as the shield will flop down nearly instantly due to the wind pressure once the knobs are loosened....don't ask me how I KNOW this....:)

#9 ·
It looks like Speedy's GPS mount might work with the Algard brackets. I understand it won't work with the Madstad bracket.

#12 ·
My personal opinion is that the Madstad is kind of ugly and flimsy. The Algard looks like a better product. I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t replace the Algard nuts with knobs or thumb screws. Most hardware store should have these and if not in metric you could replace the bolts and nuts with American ones, generally there are ones that are close enough in size.
I think I will make my own version (I make most everything…pannier brackets, handlebars, freeway pegs, throttle lock, etc.) so this should be a piece of cake for me although I know that not everyone either has the tools or time for this.

#13 ·
I have the madstad, it works well.
it is a bit wobbly at high speed, and on my bike it vibrates a bit at 4.5k rpm (others have solved this issue though...)... but I am happy with it, and it gives a great amount of flexibility in mounting angles etc...

never used the algard, though it does look slick!

#15 ·
Anyone have a link for the Algaurd site.

#16 ·
http://www.versys.info/versys/
But there is nothing about brackets. Looks like that e-mail is only way to contact and get more information.

I received my brackets last week and I feel that I got a new bike at the same time. No more wind noise. And simply with OEM screen.

Brackets are 1st class workmanship. And delivery went just fine. It took about week to get my packet from order. I have a feeling that Algard is very serious with these accessories he is producing and that's why I trusted him. And now I can recommend Algard.

Madstad is probably ok, but the price after shipping, taxes and customs would have been way too high. Algard is simplier, cheaper and works just fine.

#17 ·
After using the Madstadd for five months it vibrates way too much IMO. I have cranked everything tight and it has held up OK, but it drives me nuts that it shakes so much.

I will say that I have very aggressive tires on the bike and I ride a lot of dirt trails and that contributes to the vibration, but I always feel like the thing is one medium bump away from coming off.

#18 ·
I have the Madstad, and it does wobble if you use it just like it come to you.

There are some ways to stiffen and brace it so it doesn't do that.

If you look at some of the windshield threads, comparing calsci and Mikes shields, I have put in some pictures of how I braced and shimmed mine.

I am using a tall shield now, and I don't get very much wobble at all, even on dirt roads, which I travel a lot.

The Madstad can be made to be pretty stable with just a little innovation, and a few bolts , nuts and a shim or two.

Regards August

#19 · (Edited)
Yes

I'll paste below what the comapny wrote / quoted me......................

Hello ,

thank you very much for your interest in ALGARD products. Pictures and detailed description can be seen on www.versys.info
Here are the prices for ALGARD engine guard (black or silver):

-engine guard________98.00 EUR
-rear extension_______20,00 EUR
-screen bracket ______48.00 EUR

Shipping cost additional:
-Europe_____________18,50 EUR (4-7 days)
-rest of the world-depends on the country- from 23.00 to 32.00 EUR (10-15 days)

How to purchase ALGARD products?
They can be ordered directly from me (producer). That's the guaranty for the lowest prices.
You have two options:
-PayPal
-Bank transfer.

If you prefer PayPal just reply to this E-mail and tell me that you have chosen PayPal and exactly which product are you ordering.
PayPal will send you a form to fill in and send me a confirmation that you have made the payment. Package will be sent to you within a few days after receiving the confirmation from PayPal.
Paypal is safe and easy way to make an online payment using your credit/debit card even if you are not a PayPal member (learn more https://www.paypal.com/ ).

If you prefer bank transfer just reply to this E-mail and tell me that you have chosen bank transfer and exactly which product do you want. I will send you the bank account details for the payment. Package will be sent to you within a few days after receiving the payment.

I will gladly answer any additional questions you may have so please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

ALGARD

Registered design- European and international Patent Pending.

#23 ·
+1 on the Algard products. It felt a bit hinky to send $ via Paypal overseas. But I got everything that I ordered. Workmanship is good, almost to Speedy's level. :thumb:

His e-mail replies may seem lacking. We 'murcans tend to expect a lot more hand holding: e-mails to thank and confirm payment, then to confirm packing/shipping, then tracking number, finally even a cuatomer survey request, etc. I got a total of three e-mails: price listing with picture links of the tilt mechanism, confirmation of payment, then two weeks later, confirmation of shipping with a tracking number. That's enough for me.

Everything came within two weeks of placing the order. Now the experimentatin begins :topsecret: tilt this way, :cheers:, tilt that way, :cheers:, tilt some more...

Peter

#25 ·
I'm going for the Algard brackets for sure. I have spent countless hours with different windshield shapes and configuations, including cutting a C Bailey windshield multiple times untill I ended up with a fly screen. I don't mind wind noise (wear earplugs), but hate turbulence, buffeting, and head vibration. I also don't like the windshield anywhere near my direct field of view, so a really tall screen is out of the question. I decided a steeper windshield rake was the only way to go. However, I don't like the pivot point of the Madstad because it raises the front of the screen. I cut the stock brackets in half, and bolted them back together with a 12 degree steeper rake than stock. This made my Vstream windshield look proper on the bike, and also significantly reduced the buffeting and turbulence. The Algard brackets are just what I'm looking for.

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
Wyorider

:right: about raking the screen further.

I have got rid of the wind buffeting by using the Algard adjustable windscreen brackets and a Givi screen. They allowd me to move the Givi screen down and back. The top of the screen is now about level with the top of the wing mirrors.

I now have clear air flowing over my helmet (no wind noise) and my body is nicely shielded by the repositioned screen.:thumb:

Picture of my V taken by Stev1der on the Northumberland Ride-out.
see this tread http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=45&topic=6470.0

Second picture not so good of the Silver V but you can still see the increased rake of the screen
Richard

#28 ·
Yes the seat is very comfortable. +200 miles in one stint no trouble now. :thumb:
See this link - http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=45&topic=6057.0

The Algard Screen brackets come with fitting instructions.

You only have to trim the black the black dash a little. In that position I have not had to trim the cowling plastic to get the Givi screen with Algard bracket to lay back like that.

Richard

#32 ·
Madstad now has a "universal" rig that is very similar to the Algard unit.

It doesn't appear to made as well as the Algard....but that's just from looking at the photos.

#34 ·
He stopped making the stuff in the last year, or so. However, try the email in the threads, he may answer it.

I sent one off to him this past spring, on a whim, because I was VERY interested in the windshield mount. He responded saying he had a "handful' left.

We did a Paypal transaction and I got one a few weeks later. This was all late spring of this year; so, it's worth a shot.

VERY well made and much more basic in its design than the Madstad; which is what I liked about it.

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.