Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

First ride impressions

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  YO, Edge 
#1 Ā·
Got my first ride in today and put on a little over 200 miles, all interior roads up to the hills of North GA. Lots of bikes out even though it was overcast and foggy here and there. I put it through its paces and I'm really pleased with this bike and canā€™t find much to nitpick.

Not as hyper as the Cyclone in that it didn't feel like it was going to grenade at any moment. plenty of torque and power and very easy to ride. The ergonomics are great for me and the previous owner added Speedyā€™s o-ring riser for the bar and I canā€™t compare to stock but vibration was insignificant.
I'll be adding heated grips and hand guards, considering the power bronze hugger or similar.

Cons:
I'm not sure about the seat longevity, I think it would be much better without sloping forward, needs to be flatter for me. Iā€™ve had Corbinā€™s in the past and tried Sargent seats as well and didnā€™t like either of them so Iā€™m curious about alternatives but I donā€™t want to lower the seat or alter the shape too much.

This warm spell hit the spot and gave me an opportunity to start looking for the right bit to make it mine. It really is a great bike and Iā€™m glad I finally picked one up!

See less See more
#3 Ā·
#5 Ā·
The Adcock seat kind of reminds me of a police bike seat and I bet it is really comfortable. I had a Harley Davidson FXRT with a touring seat very similar that you could do 600 mile days + easily. I'm not sure I could get past the profile of it however. Or maybe I should get over it! He's close enough that I could ride there.

#6 Ā·
He does a regular seat also. I liked the flat so i could slide back on it on long rides.. Terry is a great guy to deal with if you get the chance check him out. He has a Kawi Dealership if i'm not mistaken..

#9 Ā·
Thanks. This isn't new for me. The pain is in the sit bones not tailbone. I'm pretty narrow and thin skinned in that area, fors example Jeans hang off. TMI. Anyway, I tried a Corbin and a Sargent on my ZRX and they didn't help at all.

After those two attempts I had Second Look install a carbon look seat skin over the ZRX foam and strangely enough it was an improvement. I don't think they are in business anymore. Regardless anything I do is going to require support for my Ischium. I'm still feeling it.

#17 Ā· (Edited)
It is easy to modify the stock seat. My first Versys I cut the seat back a bit and added a gel pad . . . I wanted more leg room and to change the slope.

The second Versys has a Baldwin tall seat (2" taller and 2" cut back) which is perfect. Very nice all day seat. Drop me a PM if you want to try it (Lawrenceville, GA).

Baldwin:

Previous V w/modified seat:

#16 Ā·
Yo, I have a Corbin on my Vee and love it. Since I ride in the North Ga mountains on weekdays you are welcome to give it a try if you want to meet up. My wife rides with me on occasion and says it's the most comfortable seat she's been on (I've had 11 bikes in the last 10 years), so I guess that says somethin'.....

#19 Ā·
I was finally able to get out and try the Seat Concepts seat after trying a few other tricks and it has improved the ride tremendously. I sent my pan to them and had them install their standard foam density setup. Got it back in about a week and wasnā€™t able to get out until Saturday. I could tell immediately that it worked and I like everything about it. I donā€™t have a reach issue to the ground or bar although I can see how it could be. I have the Motowerk anti-vibe handle bar riser before and after so I canā€™t compare to stock. I put on 150 miles and didnā€™t squirm like I did before. Thanks for all the hints at resolving the pain. Thatā€™s what makes this forum so valuable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.