Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Can't take the seat anymore!! Need advice.

5K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  twowheeladdict 
#1 ·
Been riding my 2009 Versys now since I bought it new in 2009. I commute at least 3-4 times a week(30 miles each way) and also go on long camping trips. The stock seat has gotten to the point where I'm hurting 15-20 minutes into a ride now. The ONLY place it hurts is, sorry for the description, but....Right at the top of my butt, like where your crack starts:eek:. I guess that would be the cocyxx/tailbone......?? I'm ready to do something about it(almost thought about another bike, but I love this one too much), and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions before I shell out some serious $$ for some custom seat that doesn't help at all. To add to this, I'm a short rider (5'8"), so I REALLY don't want to add any height if possible! Anyone in San Diego that has a different style seat I could try for a couple hours or something? Or if anyone has had the same kind of pain, what did you do to resolve it? Thanks in advance for any help.

#3 · (Edited)
Many stock seat mods. The one I suggest is stuffing strips of foam in the front hole, toward the tank. It works great.

Don't smash your junk! :eek:

This mod will cost you some camping foam! :thumb:

Look up Update for self-mod seat for Air Hawk to work 100%....:goodluck:

Sorry I tried search will not bring up thread. I do not know how to post link. :(

#7 ·
To add to this, I'm a short rider (5'8"), so I REALLY don't want to add any height if possible!
I would not recommend a Seat Concept for you. I really like my SC; at 6"2" with 34" inseam it is perfect (also have lower pegs) but it is definitely not for your stature. I would explore other options including the threads on flattening the stock seat profile because after all it seems to me, and to most others, that the problem is the forward slope of the stock seat, plus maybe some foam firmness incompatibility with the arse region.

Perhaps someone here has a suggestion for an aftermarket seat that is no taller than stock? Otherwise explore the many threads previously posted.

#8 ·
I had mine modified for 100$, but was disappointed with the result so I then went with the Seat Concept but Im tall and appreciate the extra leg room. I read somewhere in the forums that Seat Concept were working on a low version so you might want to contact them and see if they have something ready to ship.

If not find a good upholsterer and be very clear of what you want and it might be the cheapest solution. I thought I was clear with mine, but had no references of the guy, I think he just lacked the knowledge to do a proper job. Seat ended up looking like an inflatable device and ended up in the trash bin.

#9 ·
Tenover,
I'm 5' 8", 29" inseam, 180 lbs; and have tried dozens of combinations to get a more comfortable and low seat. I finally found a great solution, with an easy seat-mod plus the AirHawk R cushion. I described it in another thread, but the solution is so simple, I'll just describe it again.

First, order an AirHawk R seat cushion ($160). When it arrives, blow it up (by mouth is fine) then leave the air-cock open and let all the excess air out. When stable, tighten the plug so no more air can escape.

Next, remove the staples from the front half of the seat. Pull the cover back and remove all the stock foam - it will just peel away. Next, using either the stock foam or some other firm foam, cut a 2" thick piece to fit the front four inches of the seat - to raise it up to stop the slide forward. Taper it so that it flows into the seat base. Next pull the cover back in place, but do not staple it yet. Place the AirHawk R cushion on top, in the middle of where you'll sit. Put the bike on a rear stand, place the AirHawk R cushion on the bike. Climb on and sit. See how it feels. If it doesn't feel right, analyze what it needs (for example, more/less cushion in front, etc). Move the AirHawk cushion forward and backward till you like how it feels. Once it seems to fit your butt properly, remove the AirHawk R cushion, pull the cover tightly and staple back in place. Works well to pull each side in place with a couple of staples and slowly work your way forward, pulling the cover then stapling. If a problem occurs, remove some staples and start over.

When the cover is stapled in place, place the AirHawk R cushion where you think it should go, sit on it again and put the straps in place. Then turn the seat over and put a staple in each strap to hold them in place and up in the seat bottom.

If there's any doubt about comfort, take the bike for a little ride. As you move around, the air will move and give support to whatever portion of your butt is applying the most pressure.

I found this arrangement to be very comfortable. I can now ride long enough that my brain and back get too tired to ride, while my butt is still ready to go. I have a personal limit of two hours of riding without a safety rest stop.

However, I did find that, initially, my butt was a little tender from my prior riding. So, give your butt a day or two to rest before starting this project. This entire job can be done in a couple of hours, if you have the AirHawk R cushion, and a staple gun and staples before starting.

BTW, the cushion has an unusual feeling as you move around. It seems to move around under you. In fact, that seems to be the reason it works. It provides the most support under the portion of your butt that's pressing hardest. Be patient, and give it a thorough test. Worst case, you hate it; replace the stock foam and sell the cushion. If your like me, the cushion will rate up like Michelin PR3 tires, that had a huge positive impact on how I view my V (I have the "green" 09V). Always fast, and now has a very comfortable seat. BTW, I also increased the comfort by changing springs and shock. That's another story, if you're interested.

Good Luck!

#20 ·
Air Hawk IMO is the best and most comfortable solution. But it will not work with a forward slope. I would read the thread on this and think of the pro-con to exterior-interior install. :thumb: :goodluck:

#12 · (Edited)
Smiley,
Thanks. I was very interested in the SC mod, based on all the good results, but needed a lower seat-height. I spoke to someone at SC (Trent??) who said they were working on a lower seat-height and would call when finished. That was several months ago, and I never heard back. It was after that call that I somehow lucked into the AirHawk R mod, that now has solved my problem.

Tenover,
Good luck. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

#17 ·
I think the problem with the forward slope and the tailbone is that when you slide forward all of the flesh down there rotates up and back right into the tailbone. So while some people get ball crushing, others get ball crushing in addition to tailbone pain as the whole thing is rotated around.

I've found that compression underwear (lycra cycling shorts (worn commando)) sort of work to lessen the pressure from rotation.

I'm 5'10" and 149 lbs. I'm planning on getting the lowering kit which would then allow me to go with a slightly taller seat.

#21 ·
Is that the problem you were having or are you just guessing. My tailbone issue came from the hump leading to the passenger part of the seat. For me to be comfortable I was pushing against that hump and it was pushing on my tailbone. I personally like the forward slope of the seat because I ride the Versys as a sport touring/adventure bike, and leaning forward helps you manuever on the twisties better.

If you are trying to sit straight up on the seat you are definitely sitting on the wrong part of your derriere, and will probably want a corbin seat or something cut similar.

#18 ·
Tenover,

I was in the same situation as you with the stock seat on my 08. I recently bought an almost new Corbin from a forum member for roughly half of a new one. I was hesitant on a Corbin because of how firm they are, but after a lot of reading, I realized that you kind of want a firm seat to help with pressure points. Anyways, I just came back from a 250 mile ride today throughout the central and northern New Mexico mountains and my butt felt good the entire trip. I made the same trip back in August with my stock seat and my butt was aching the entire time. It was that trip that I decided I had to get a better seat. My commute to work is nothing. I work and live on a military base. I leave the Corbin on all the time and love it. It was probably the single best investment I have made for my bike, and I have done a lot of upgrades.

My best advice is to keep your eye out for good deals on seats. They do pop up every so often. I tried the seat modification with no luck.

Good hunting

Jason

#22 · (Edited)
I suggested placing a two-inch thick firm foam in the forward four inches of the seat to raise the front. I did it for comfort. It also makes the seat somewhat like a bucket seat and stops the slide forward.

I also tried the AirHawk R cushion under the cover and it didn't work for me. Stretching the cover over the cushion stops the air from moving around as it's supposed to do. I also tried one of the medium AirHawk touring seats (before I tried the AirHawk R) and didn't like it. So, I was pleasantly surprised when the AirHawk R, on top of the seat, worked so well. You may not like the way it looks, but it is very comfortable, at least for me it was.

#23 ·
+1 And you can take it off easily for another bike or whatever! The way a person stops the forward slope doesn't matter as long as you do it! :thumb:

The Air Hawk for me is the very best! :thumb: :D

I have no further issues after hours of riding! :thumb:

Your junk, tailbone, arse, back, do youself right and get an Air Hawk. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.