Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

pirelli scorpion tires ?

6K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Dsauer 
#1 ·
Happy New Years to everyone. The question I have,does any one have experiences good or bad with the Pirelli Scorpion tires ? Just want a good 95/5 tire.Price point seems reasonable.
Thanks in advance.

Mike

#2 ·
They grip pretty well on pavement (almost as well as sport tour tires) and much better than sport tour tires on hard pack dirt. I'm not sure they will last quite as long as my Michelin RP2s did though. In fact unless you ride really hard on pavement you will not be able to tell the difference from sport tour tires grip wise.

#5 ·
Ditto on tire quality and reliability. I've put @2,000 miles on a set and find them much more sure-footed than OEM Dunlops. Ran in to a 12-mile patch of sand on Christmas Day ride and they handled much better than Dunlops did in similar situation. That time, I turned around after a couple hundred yards. Good on pavement and forest-service roads but certainly not knobbies.

#6 ·
I've run them twice, once with the stock size rear, once with the 150/70. Not only is the size and profile different, but the compound feels different as well. The 150 is not Z rated while the 160 is. The 150 is a lot taller and has a lot more rubber, much deeper tread sipes. It feels better off the pavement and it lasts a lot longer. If you just want a better all-around pavement tire, the 160 is the pick.

#7 ·
Pirelli makes Scorpion Trails in sizes for the Versys. The Scorpion Trail is the OEM tire for the Ducati MultiStrada so I figure it can handle everything I dish out on the Versys. On my second set now and liking them a lot.

#9 ·
I only have the front and it is certainly better than the stock Dunlops. Grips well in the wet and builds confidence in the corners. My rear is a Bridgestone 023 and I can feel it's grip to be not as good as the front when cornering hard.

#10 ·
I didn't like the Scorpion Trails. The turn in was funny and they wore out fast. I thought I'd get off road, but that mover happened. Put on some sport tires. I'd still like to do some fire road riding, so I may need to revisit this type of tire again.

CJ

#12 ·
I have had them since July. I was looking for 90/10 street/gravel-sand, and more feedback on asphalt. They do work better on all surfaces than the stock dunlops but didn't get the feedback I was hoping for from the front on asphalt. That may be function of the stock forks as the tire itself seems to be a softer compound.

Overall very happy w/ the scorpion trail, can ride gravel/sandy roads with less drama though still take it slow. An 18 or 19 inch front wheel would be better but given cost/benefit the tires are worth the upgrade for my riding.

Tom

#18 ·
Having a set of Trails mounted as we speak. I had Angels before and they lasted about 6k before they squared off to the point where turn in was sketchy. The stockers didn't even last 4k. I'd read something on these forums where others are running with higher pressures ( by 3-4 lbs ) on these tires because of the compouind, did I hear this wrong?

#24 ·
Thanks to all for posting their thoughts and experience with these tires. Looks like a pair is in my future. The Avon Distanzia piqued my interest, but the split to more off road made me search for more choices. I've had my fill of Dunnies. All my recent bikes have had them, and in every case I've found better tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.