Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

MRA Windscreen Review

12K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Davy F 
#1 ·
I recently purchased the MRA Windscreen (Made in Germany) from twistedthrottle.com for approximately $140 shipped. I have a black 2012 Versys. You will find several attached images from the installation including before and after pics.

Installation

The installation was extremely simple. You remove the stock windscreen by removing the screws from the well nuts. Attach the two mounting brackets from MRA using the stock screws. Attach the new screen to the brackets using the new screws and you are good to go. There is a rubberized trim peice that you can install around the edge of the windscreen. I added some rubber washers between the MRA metal washer and the windscreen. I purchased them at Home Depot for $1. I will explain why later on. I also purchased extra OEM well nuts to plug up all the exposed holes which also makes adjustment easier as you don't have to pull the well nuts out anymore. I wasn't crazy about the additional brackets needed as they don't look clean under the windscreen.

Appearance

As you can see from the windscreen comparison photo, the MRA windscreen is much larger than stock. This gives the Versys a completely different look. I decided to go with the smoke color to give the black Versys a monochromatic look. It looks really good in my opinion. It took me a few minutes and a few "look overs" to like the larger appearance of the windscreen. I must say that I think it sets off the bike nicely and gives it a bold appearance with the black Versys. You can see through the smoked out plastic with ease. It doesn't black out your view during the day if you decide to look through it for whatever reason. I haven't experienced the night riding yet to report on that.

Adjustment

You may have to adjust the stock well nuts depending on your height. I am 6 foot 2 inches and am currently using the highest stock adjustment (the adjustment that requires the black plastic rivets to be removed). To remove the rivets, I locked on a vice grip and pulled them straight out and yanked the grips to the side quickly which snapped them in half. This did not damage the plastic housing whatsoever.

Wind Protection

There is a noticeable difference in wind protection due to the increased width of the MRA screen. However, I have not exceeded 45 mph as of yet, so I cannot comment on the buffeting. I will report that later on when I take the motorcycle on the freeway. At 45 mph I noticed the wind hitting my helmet, which could be a good or bad thing at high speed. Again, I will have to comment on that at a later time. Wind noise was reduced significantly.

Buzzing Noise

As many Versys owners know, there are numerous buzzing complaints around the cowling/speedo display area which can be caused by numerous issues depending on what year Versys you own. In my case, the buzzing was due to the stock windscreen. The buzzing noise was present in the 4-5k rpm range. After installing the MRA windscreen, I noticed an 80% reduction in buzzing which is hardly even noticeable anymore. It was obvious in my case that the buzzing was due to the stock windscreen. I added the Home Depot rubber washers as I talked about during installation. This helped reduce the buzzing by about 10% compared to OEM.

Pros

*Easy installation
*Improved wind protection
*Bold appearance (subjective)
*Reduction in 4-5k rpm buzzing

Cons

*Additional brackets are needed for installation (The look is not as clean underneath the windscreen because of this).

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
UPDATE: Windscreen adjustment and performace at high speed

UPDATE:

After testing the MRA windscreen at high speed (65-85 mph) I have found out that my original windscreen setting (highest setting) was creating too much wind on my helmet. I adjusted the windscreen setting down a notch which actually angles the screen higher which causes the airflow to aim higher toward my helmet. There is less buffeting present. At this time I feel the ideal setting is a notch below the highest for a 6' 2" rider with a 34 inseam. I have attached photos so that you can see the different settings and the angle difference. I hope this helps those who decide to purchase this aftermarket windscreen!

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks for the great write up. Two quick questions if you don't mind. How do you remove the stock well nuts? I gave up trying to pull them out and instead, push them back into the front cowling and hope they drop to the floor.

Secondly, where did you buy the OEM well nuts from?

#5 ·
I got my MRA screen ( the Kawasaki OEM version ) about a month ago. Its a wonderful piece of equipment. The buffeting and all are greatly reduced. However a taller screen will be perfect. I dont know why the X Screen is so expensive, almost price for a new windshield.

Need to find a way to customise my own X Screen. Good choice for the this windshield. Highly recommended. :)

#12 ·
I'm 5' 11" and wear an Arai TourX which, let's face it, isn't the best of lids for avoiding a bit of head nodding. The MRA I've just fitted is brilliant compared to the stock screen and it's amazing just how a different design (while not being a stupid massive piece of plastic bolted on) helps with wind flow. I love it !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.