Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Harley Haters

25K views 116 replies 43 participants last post by  kiwi 41 
#1 ·
Soooooo here's the deal:

I test rode a HD Dyna Fat Bob and had a blast. I had never ridden, or even sat on a HD ever before. I really was surprised at how much I enjoyed the ride! I've never vibrated so much, but the overall experience put a big smile on my face.

I read a lot of comments on this forum that refer to Harley owners as "drinking the kool-aid," and I'm not sure what that means... Is there a certain reason people get so heated with dogging on the brand? The price? Some of the crazy people who ride them? Why do we hate on them so much? I don't seem to see or hear of any other brand that gets so much flak from riders.

Personally, I love all things two wheeled! So let's hear your take on the American brand. :usa:

Got one? How do you like it?

#3 ·
I have encountered many that ride them and have the "piss on you" attitude. For that reason alone, I would never own one and have no desire to try one. Its not so much the machines themselves but the company they tend to keep.

For some reason, I have never come across another brand of rider that has the piss on you attitude that some HD riders do. I have read that a few BMW riders have similar issues but I have never in my 24 years of riding have met even one.

Cheers! :cheers:

#4 ·
Got One

I've got one and love it. Not that I would travel extreme distances on it but I do take it over the versys when running around town. Mine started as a 99' sporty that I cut up into a rigid hardtail this past winter. Went for the old school look. Now I don't ride around with HD stamped on every piece of clothing, it is kinda funny to me when I see guys come walking around with everything HD or BMW. I like to ask if they have a bike just to get a rise out of em'.

Attachments

#9 ·
I've got one and love it. Not that I would travel extreme distances on it but I do take it over the versys when running around town. Mine started as a 99' sporty that I cut up into a rigid hardtail this past winter. Went for the old school look. Now I don't ride around with HD stamped on every piece of clothing, it is kinda funny to me when I see guys come walking around with everything HD or BMW. I like to ask if they have a bike just to get a rise out of em'.
That is a sweet bike. Love the old school look. :loveeyes:

#5 ·
Fair enough. I would say that I have many good friends who ride Harley's and they are quite pleasant, where as I've also met many Jerk crotch-rocket riders. Bad apple effect? Perhaps...

I can't afford a HD at this point anyway, so it'll be a while before I fill my cup... ;)

#7 ·
I've also met many Jerk crotch-rocket riders.
Quite possible! Could be a geographical thing as well. Not very many crotch-rocket idiots around here. Don't get to talk to many crotch-rocket riders locally and very rarely see one giving it hell around traffic. What they do while in remote locations is likely a different story!

I would say that I have many good friends who ride Harley's and they are quite pleasant
I have friends who ride HD and some speak slurs softly and sugar coat them so they don't come across so blunt but I can read the words and body language. I also have friends whom are great people and could care less about what I ride.

Bad apple effect?
Likely. Only a few bad apples to spoil the bunch.

#8 ·
"drinking the kool-aid," and I'm not sure what that means...
For what it's worth, the reference is to a mass suicide of followers of Jim Jones, a minister who convinced several hundred of his followers at his compound in Guyana to drink cyanide-laced Kool-Aid. (It may have been FlavorAid, a bargain alternative to Kool-Aid...there is evidence to support both products at the compound).

The idea of "drinking the Kool-Aid" means to accept something blindly without question. I've heard it applied to riders of Harleys, Ducatis and BMWs, owners of Apple products, people who belong to one political party or another, religious people of many varieties....whoever one accuses of not thinking for himself or herself.

Haven't heard it used in describing Versys riders.

#10 ·
Had a neighbor (who now lives in a house with a trailer hitch point), used my KZ650 to get his license. Even though I was riding before he was born I became a "wannabe".
If it expends a projectile I want to shoot it .
If it has two wheels I want to ride it.
If you can't respect my choices you can go back to polishing your chrome.
I'm surrounded by HDs and most are at least civil towards me, but that's about it.
They don't start that "buy American" business with me since I can come back with a decent list of over the border suppliers for HD factory parts (where was the VROD designed?).

#14 ·
I agree, I like most all motorcycles and someday may consider a harley, but I can't afford to buy or own one. My biggest discrepancy is that there are some harley riders that try to belittle those who don't ride or own one, also there designs are pretty much single minded, cruiser. Most other brands like triumph, bmw, kawasaki, honda, suzuki, and yamaha all offer more of a selection, cruiser, sport, adventure, dirt, dualsport, sport touring and so on.

#16 ·
I'd buy some H-D Toilet Paper.:teetertooter:

#19 ·
I have no problem with Harley's. Each to their own. For me they aren't the best bang for buck. Around me the Harley people run two directions (the few) ride what you want and be friendly type or (the majority) who feel the need to bag on anything not Harley. That being said I'll ride with anyone BMW, KTM, Suzuki, Honda, Harley, etc. etc. etc.

I just laugh and enjoy the road.

#20 ·
I have been riding H-D's for 23 years. Traded my chopper in on a Versys 'cause my back can't take the rigid/forward peg/drag bar set up. Also, I was ready for a change. Turned out BIG CHANGE:) I'm 48, and the only thing refreshing that comes with age is you tend to care less and less about what other people think about you.

Attachments

#22 ·
My problem isn't with Harley riders, it's with the motor company itself. Harley is the only major player in the game that refuses to use advancements in technology to make their bikes better i.e. handling, reliability and performance. I understand the nostalgia of the look and sound of a Harley, but you can still make a better product and have it look very similar. Did you know they charge MORE for a springer front end? That's 80 year old technology, for more money!

I also hate them because I bought a Buell 1125R in August of 2009 for $12,000. Two months later Harley decided to drop the Buell line, not sell it off, just shut the doors. They sold the remaining bikes that were in the showrooms for about $7,500! My bike depreciated almost 5K in just two months, and I still owed 12K!

Thats my rant.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
I tried to join the Harley Group a couple of years ago and they said I would have to cut my Mullet off. That was a deal breaker right there! :thumbdown:

Females aproach me all the time asking about my mullet! I'm not about to give it up for a bunch of over weight, older HD gals! Yuck! :thumbdown:

No deal!!! :cool:

#24 ·
Harley riders... The cruiser mentality is different from mine. I like to lay my bike over in the corners, but they might scrape their chrome floor boards if they went much past 15 degrees off center. They tend to travel in packs, and I'm more of a lone wolf. I get fewer waves returned from them. I remember riding up the pass between Durango, Co, and Silverton a summer or two ago when I came upon a big, long line of traffic traveling at about 25 mph. Now this stretch of road is world class motorcycling. I began to pass cars and eventually came up to a group of about 50 Harley riders riding in formation: 2 X 2 X 2 X 2 ad infinitum. And at their head? A cement truck. No kidding. These guys weren't going to break formation to pass a concrete mixer up one fine highway. We fortunately came to a wide sweeping turn with a broken line, and I was able to pass all the Harleys and the cement Mixer in one swell foop. Those guys kept putting along at 25 mph. If that's their idea of a fun weekend ride, mo power to them, but I'm on a different page.

#25 ·
I've got nothing against the bike, just the attitude of probably 80% of their riders... I have no interest in being thrown in with that image... I know lots of HD guys who are very cool. But its the bunch that pull up to you, rev your engine, and say "nice plastic piece of sh*t" that give the bike a bad name. That and i've got my V which suits my style, not sure i could get used to a full on cruiser :teetertooter:

#27 ·
#30 ·
Well, not really a Harley Davidson, but I agree. The MX250 was a very cool bike…factory supported race team for two years (’77-78) and in production for only one (’78). It was made by Aermacchi, an Italian Company AMF/HD owned 50% at the time. I’ve restored several vintage mx’ers including an Aermacchi/AMF/HD Baja100 that I still have. Not much Harley Davidson in those Aermacchi models once past the decals. That’s not to say that they were good motorcycles; just not Harleys.

I'm no hater. The Electra Glide and Fat Bob are my favorites. Hope the 2016 Electra Glide is water cooled! (When youngin' gets outa college):yeahsmile:
That may be on the way. MoCo patented their first water-cooled VTwin design last summer. Article in Kneeslider.

#34 · (Edited)
Thanks Mark, had lots of fun during the build process this winter. I really enjoy fab work. I find myself bored now that its complete. Looking around for another project. We'll see what I find.
Funny reading comments on perceptions of other bikers here. Whether it be HD, Kawi,Ducati.....I enjoy all bikes whether its my cup of tea or not, seems as some hear take things real personal if one is not on a Versys. Remember why one rides, I ride for myself and may or may not wave depending, doesn't mean anything. We should look in the mirror before passing judgment, not that I'm any better, but I'm always trying!

#36 ·
Ride what you want to ride but that attitude many have like they're the penultimate riders is what I find ridiculous. The majority that I've seen spend more time talking about riding than riding! They have hd stickers or mudflaps on their vehicles and the jackets and shirts but it's rare that you see many of them ride and than they often say to other riders things like "when are you going to get a real motorcycle?".

When I served jury duty last year one juror wore a harley jacket and another had a harley hat each day. None of my gear had Kawasaki or Versys on it but my little red V was parked out front each day and I'm sure I love her as much as anyone loves their harley I just don't go on and on about it...unless someone wants to know about an amazingly fun, economical motorcyle with very good reliability....:eek:penarms:

PS: I don't hate anyone...........except midgets.....they're scary. JK

#39 ·
PS: I don't hate anyone...........except midgets.....they're scary. JK
LOL! And on that note Randy Newman's song satirizing intolerance. Maybe Harley riders got nobody to love. Harley riders is just the same as you and I.

#49 ·
LOL. Just curious which manufacturer you figure to be in last place?
Would that be URAL...?

The Kawi shop in Red Deer, Alberta has/ had an older (but WAY COOL) Harley 750 OHV flat-tracker in the show room. Aluminum engine, twin carbs, spool hubs... I'd give my left nut....
:exactly:

#54 ·
Would that be URAL...?

The Kawi shop in Red Deer, Alberta has/ had an older (but WAY COOL) Harley 750 OHV flat-tracker in the show room. Aluminum engine, twin carbs, spool hubs... I'd give my left nut....
:exactly:
Sounds cool. On a side note, I've actually been to Red Deer for a family reunion, (my second wife's family that is). I remember it stayed light out till around 10 PM or later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.