Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Oxford Heated Grip Install

15K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  zordflea 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to install heated grips on my V. A couple of questions for those who have done it.

1) Where did you mount the control? The mounting bracket included in the kit doesn't fit (handlebar mount).

2) If I wire it directly to open power relay near the front of the bike, do I need to purchase a relay or can I just wire it directly? After having someone dick with my grips on a previous bike and subsequently kill the battery, I am a huge fan of wiring it into the ignition.

All help appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 ·
I wired my heated grips directly to the battery with the wiring harness provided in the kit.

The control is mounted using 3M double face adhesive tape as shown in the picture.

Attachments

#4 ·
on the 2010-up there is a switched power source for accessories already there from the factory. The two leads are on the left side of the bike hanging down behind the fairing. All you need is one female and one male bullet connector. The power is already on a switched relay so you dont have to worry about killing your battery like I did one day at work. :mad:

#15 ·
Do you have a picture of what your talking about? And which lead is which?

Also -- is that strong enough for the power draw of heated grips?

#6 · (Edited)
I am getting ready to install heated grips on my V. A couple of questions for those who have done it.

1) Where did you mount the control? The mounting bracket included in the kit doesn't fit (handlebar mount). If it does not they may have sent you the wrong mount.

2) If I wire it directly to open power relay near the front of the bike, do I need to purchase a relay or can I just wire it directly? After having someone dick with my grips on a previous bike and subsequently kill the battery, I am a huge fan of wiring it into the ignition.

All help appreciated.

Thank you.
These have to be powered directly from the battery due to the high current draw. Attaching them to say the running lights will blow fuses. You can install an automotive relay for just a few dollars to ensure they turn off when the bike is turned off.

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/relay_basics.htm

#8 ·
I have a fuze block installed under the seat, so the power source is switched from the key and won't kill the battery. Mine is mounted with 5lb indoor/outdoor double sided tape on the handlebar mounting cap like in Ziggy's pic.

I've left mine on accidently many times and not worried becuase the controls shut off when the key is turned off.

#10 ·

I mounted mine with the included bar mount no problem.:confused:

#16 ·
I mounted my controller the same way as above and it works great.

One quick recommendation. A few weeks after installing them, the left grip stopped working. I jiggled all the wires and it started working again. A few days later, both grips stopped working. More jiggling and the right one started working again but not the left. I had the v in for a service and they fixed the left grip for me by rewiring the connector. A week later it stopped again.

Right, f$ck this. I pulled every connector and soldered them up. The whole system is one continual unit now with no joins and it works a treat!

Maybe i got a dodgy unit but those connectors are ****e!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#17 ·
Well - I just installed my Oxford Heated Grips -- got them for Xmas :)

The install took awhile. Although easy from a technical standpoint, it was hard because of the following:

1) Getting the grips on was ridiculously hard. Talk about a snug fit? It took a ton of twisting and pushing.

2) Wiring. They give you very little extra wiring. Kind of annoying. I could have used another 4 inches to give it a little extra play. Please - no puns here ;)

3) The controller. Should I looked here again to see what people did. Ended up just using 1 screw from the clutch side to hold it. I bent the metal a bit to get it into a position I liked.

Overall I am super excited to try it out. I directly connected to the battery because I don't have any relays to have it done via a switched power source.. Just have to be careful I guess.

Now if this snow would just melt a little I can try them out along with my new Tourmaster Transition Jacket :(

#19 ·
So my review after using the grips: Amazing.

I went for a ride (28 degrees outside) and I had no problem riding around ~45mph average for around 1.5 hours.

The heated grips are amazing, no issue at all with keeping my hands warm (mind you I have barkbusters and thicker style gloves for winter).

I only had to go back and forth between 75% and 40%.. 75% is really really hot. I didn't even try 100% but that has to be crazy hot.

These things literally just enabled me to go from ~30 mins to -- well who knows?? So excited to extend my riding season by so many months for only $80. Well spent.

#20 ·
Here's a tip: instead of trying to PUSH the grips on (all the while pushing the bike away from you, which is counter-productive), stand on the other side of the bike and PULL the grips on. Along with the aforementioned hairspray they will slide right on.

Also, I had WAY too much wiring in my Oxford kit (Sport version) and had no problems mounting the switch bracket to both bolts of my clutch mount. :dgi:

#21 ·
#22 ·
I've got a wiring question for these types of heated grips.

Can I infact install/wire this to the switched 12V power located behind the left fairing of my 2011V?

I currently have my 12V power outlet wired there just fine.

#24 ·
I fitted some Datatool heated Grips a couple of months ago and am really happy with them. Control is on the grip so no separate controller. They heat up quickly and get nice and warm. They have some built in clever electronics to turn them off as soon as engine is off, not when your battery is going flat, so no need for a relay now. Better than R&g Grips I had last time and no stupid controller to fail like Oxfords. 3,000 miles so far and no issues. Highly recommended them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#28 ·
A couple of years ago,I added a set of heated grips that were made for quad bikes..el cheapo with no controller ..just a three way switch ..hi-lo-off..hooked up to a switched power supply at the headlite and installed the switch on left side of dash panel..can see it only if you zoom in....They work very well especially with handguards and good winter gloves,but even when its just chilly and raining I find I am still turning them on...must be old age and bad circulation... Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Windshield Motorcycle accessories

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.