Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First Post and A Question

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  onewizard 
#1 ·
Hi all! I did the rider training course offered here in Colorado by Iron Buffalo and got my liscense endorsed. I just bought my first ever bike, a 2008 Versys 650. Now I need to get it insured.
I am a little confused about how much coverage might be appropriate for me. I am 59 years old and have a good driving record. I have looked at quotes from a few companies and I don't really need a reccomendation for who to use, I just wonder how much and what kind of coverages are typical? Including collision coverage seems to really up the premiums- is it really worth it? I bought a set of maintenence/debt insurance/warrantry options from the dealer I bought the bike from already.

#7 ·
My car and homeowner's insurance is through AARP/Hartford. They don't do motorcycle insurance but use a sister company who quoted me a policy with comprehensive/collision at about $550 a year. American Family and Geico quoted about the same for the same coverages. Maybe it's because of my age?:confused:

#8 ·
Greetings from Littleton! I've got an '09 Versys. You've got a few years on me, but through Progressive my policy is only $182/year. That includes comprehensive and collision, with $750 deductibles.

I did just notice my BI and Property Damage are pretty low, I may look into changing them.

#10 ·
Progressive has always been the cheapest for me by far. My V fully covered is around $200/yr. Crank up the uninsured motorist coverage. If you get hit on the bike it will hurt your wallet if they other driver isn't covered.

#11 ·
Wow looking at what others pay makes me sad! I have fully coverage... 100/300 liability, 100/300 uninsured (important), collision and comp each with a $1000 deductible, and up to $3000 in accessory coverage. I'm 26 and after all my deductions it's still just under $500 for the year! It's worth it though and it already paid for itself after my first V was stolen. Progressive is what I use and they offer a loooot of different discounts, I would check them out.

#12 ·
I've got Riders Insurance. I just carry comprehensive and liability for around $120/yr.
I did have Progressive until they got greedy and wanted too much money.
I had a KLR 650 through them for around $110/yr and when I sold the KLR and got the Versys it went up to $260/yr I questioned them a couple times, they told me that's what it is for a "sport" bike. I said the Versys is not a "sport" bike and they should recheck their quote. They wouldn't do it so I moved on.
Shame, I liked Progressive until then.

The reason for not "investing" in collision insurance, if I have an accident and it's my fault, I prefer to pay for it AFTER it happens, not BEFORE it happens.

#14 ·
I did have Progressive until they got greedy and wanted too much money.
I had a KLR 650 through them for around $110/yr and when I sold the KLR and got the Versys it went up to $260/yr I questioned them a couple times, they told me that's what it is for a "sport" bike. I said the Versys is not a "sport" bike and they should recheck their quote. They wouldn't do it so I moved on.
Shame, I liked Progressive until then.
Kawasaki markets the Versys as a sport bike. That is how it is entered into the insurance and DMV database.

I love Progressive. 1/3 of the cost of my last provider and I have not found a better price anywhere.

The reason for not "investing" in collision insurance, if I have an accident and it's my fault, I prefer to pay for it AFTER it happens, not BEFORE it happens.
I agree completely! :thumb:

#13 ·
Progressive for me @ 65 years old:
- $50k Bodily Injury
- $25k Property Damage
- $1k deductible Comprehensive
- $1k deductible Collision
- $3k Accessory Coverage
Total - $191.45

#15 ·
I went with Progressive- I can't recall the coverages offhand, I would have to look it up, but it's costing about $30/Month, which fits my budget. I do have uninsured driver coverage. Colorado's insurance is torte rather than no-fault, so if I get hit but an uninsured driver (I have had two cars hit this way in the last 20 years, I know it happens a lot) I would have to hire a lawyer to get anything from that driver, and all they would need to do is not show up for the hearing.:mad:
Thanks for all the suggestions. Now that I'm covered, all I need is for the weather to improve (up until last night it's been unusually warm and dry here, last night we got cold snow and ice on the roads) and enough daylight time to start practicing my skills. I'm a letter carrier and the work hours have been brutal- 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day.
It will happen, it might just take some time.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.