Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

530 Chain conversion

20K views 62 replies 21 participants last post by  dddd 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody

Has anybody tried to put a 530 chain on their Versys?

#39 · (Edited)
Yeah I'd like to know what sprockets you got there with your 530 too...

By the way don't stuff your air box full of socks mate that was just my kind of humour and not a good idea at all for any bike. It will reduce your air intake flow and capacity.
Filter socks are a very different thing to what your wearing...

#47 ·
I will check on the sprockets for you.

Ok everyone really needs to simmer down. I can't believe that most people are giving me slack about "wanting to try something new".

Yes most likely any "data" I find will not count as proper data, as many things will reduce the life of your chain. No I most likely will not stick to a schedule when it comes to chain maintenance. I am just giving it a shot, because why? Because why not? Because if people didn't try anything new on their Versys' (Versy?) we woudnt have speedy's suspension lowering kit. Touring screens. Non OEM tyres.

#51 ·
...Ok everyone really needs to simmer down. I can't believe that most people are giving me slack about "wanting to try something new"....
I don't think it's "...about "wanting to try something new"...". It's "...wanting to try something new..." that makes no good sense to whoever.

An example could be = sort of like planning to 'spoon' a Harley-type rear tire onto a V. It raises the question: Why?

Your bike: IF it works for YOU - have at it!

#48 ·
I can tell you guys this though. I have been riding with this chain for just under a month, with no maintenance (long story, moved house. Left lube behind). I've been pulling small "clutch up" wheelies about 10 times a day. I have noticed no chain slack. I've done around 1000km's

Before everyone gets all technical. Yes I am aware that all RK chains are pre-stretched in the factory. Just an observation.

#50 ·
I can tell you guys this though. I have been riding with this chain for just under a month, with no maintenance (long story, moved house. Left lube behind). I've been pulling small "clutch up" wheelies about 10 times a day. I have noticed no chain slack. I've done around 1000km's
I been doing clutch up wheelies on my trials bike for the last 2 years at around 100 a day and that chain is smaller than a 520 and has no O rings either. No adjustment there yet either.. Nothing technical to add today.

#55 · (Edited)
D.I.D 2012 Sponsored Teams & Riders-

FIM Road Racing World Championship MotoGP

Ducati MotoGP team- Ducati Desmosedici 2012- Valentino Rossi/Nicky Hayden: DID520ERV3

Yamaha Factroy Racing- Yamaha '12 YZR-M1- Jorge Lorenzo/ Ben Spies: DID520ERV3

http://www.didchain.com/raceNews.html

http://www.didchain.com/roadChains.html
It would be interesting to know if these chains are replaced after every race meeting and what is the lifespan in milage on the above bikes in race mode.

#56 ·
It would be interesting to know if these chains are replaced after every race meeting and what is the lifespan in milage on the above bikes in race mode.
If I were sponsored by a chain company and getting all the free chain I wanted, I'd certainly change it out as often as I could. Considering the power those bikes make, I'd probably start with a new chain and change it again after practice.

A 520 chain is as strong as a 525 or 530 chain. The only difference is that the rollers are wider, and this affects sprocket wear to an extent. My preference is to use 520 chain and steel sprockets or a Supersprox rear that has steel teeth riveted onto an aluminum body and to change the sprockets at the same time as the chain.

#61 ·
On my 97 BMW F650 single rotax, the 525 chain quit stretching when I found out the tolerance is at the TIGHTEST section of chain. Running it tight to a random link section (and not the tightest chain links) spec toleranced will wear it out fasttttt.

But I have to admit, the 1993 Honda Nighthawk 750 with a 530 chain NEVER needed adjustment between rear tires. That was a nice. It don't handle like a Vs., but it was worry free in most respects with minimal maintenance.

So with a 520 chain, I need one of those oilers slinging chain lube streaks up my back? Oih! Ha ha :D

#62 ·
I'd like to know what the end result was....

Because I too struggle with chain life. I commute on my Versys, so I might very well ride in the rain, in the morning, park the bike at work, and ride back home, again, in the rain. I've heard my chain skweaking several times as riding in the rain does away with the lube. At home I don't have a covered garage, just a small tent I park the bike in, so I won't come home to lube the chain while it is raining.

OEM chain lasted 15,500kms, I was about to leave on a long trip and it was close to the service limit, probably could have got a few more kms out of it, but having a chain break in the middle of a trip is not my idea of fun. The replacement RK520GXW has some tight spots at 15500kms.

#63 ·
a) chains do not stretch. The pins wear and you can prove it because the chain starts moving sideways. That is the play making the links elongated.

b) the wear will be visible sometimes, as burgundee dust rust on some formerly kinked links. This is a sure sign that lubing was neglected and some water got in past the rings (lube wasn't enough to bead water away). Sometimes, chain clearer was left in (the bike was not ridden between chain cleaning and lubing to spin away and dry the cleaner; the lube applied over the leftover chain cleaner was ineffective obviously). That's why some people NEVER use chain cleaner and I'm of those people now. At most, spray the cleaner (no dripping) on a towel and wipe the plates only to keep shiny, but nowhere inside near the rings.

c) that's why a 530 wears almost just like a 520. Same pins, same tension, same rusting. The pins' steel might be somewhat harder though, which is the only reason for longer life (if any). If your 520 chain is finished at 20k km, you are not wearing it, rust and dust is. If your 520 chain already lasts over 30k km, than you might get even better with a 530 because you have fought the elements well.

d) the weight argument, especially rotation weight, is completely ignorable for us non-gp mortal. Less than a pound at maybe 4 inches radius at rear sprocket (let's say 4 pound.in) is completely insignificant compared to the bike+rider weight at the ~13 inches contact patch tire radius (let's say over 9000...).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.