Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Second rear puncture on Pilot Road 3 this summer

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  yegger 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Came out this morning to see the hex head of a screw or bolt in the rear Michelin Pilot Road 3 -Possibly m6 or m8. Well worn down too. (I have bought a Doran TP sensor now)

Same thing happened last month on my previous rear Pilot Road 3 too. I ride the streets of SF and park in garages. I don't go down alleys. This happened last Sunday as I did a full tire check Sunday morning.

So am I just super unlucky or is there a better tire for me? I am all around rider and bought PR3 for the wet weather.

Are those soft MT80s any good for me. I don't care about quick wearing any more....I'm getting very little mileage right now.

I also ride a GTS300 Vespa in the city and have never had a puncture in almost 3 years. Same roads.

Any comments welcome,
John

#4 ·
I just bought my first set of P3s for the Concours. The first thing I noticed about these tires is that the carcass is very flimsy compared to other tires I have used on my bikes. We will see if they are worth double the price of Shinkos. I have been averaging well over 20,000 miles a year and may hit 30,000 miles this year. Seems like I am constantly changing tires.

#11 ·
I don't think the screw knew if it was a PR3 or Dunlap. ;)
I will dismount the tire, make an internal repair so I have it done right and SEE the inside of the tire. I have driven home on plugs many times. Then its a proper repair from inside. Once the tire carcass was ruined from a bent piece of wire. If I just plugged the tire, It would have gone flat in no time. I had to throw that tire out after 1200 miles.

That was the original Dunlap that came on the bike. That day I could only find a tire at the dealer I bought the bike and the replacement was OEM Dunlap. :mad:

I ran that one for 5,000 miles and replaced it with a PR3 which is worn after 6,000 miles. It will get another PR3.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.